Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody needs any more proof than this let me know. The other member of this forum (MrKitty) was wrong. I don’t know what information he had but he has been misinformed and then the thread was ended.
The complete upper fairings, seat, gas tank we’re both swapped from the 500 to the 650 and they are exactly the same. Both bolt up as they should. However none the less as far as I know none of the fairings or seats are available. I believe the gas tanks are but that’s it

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
There are two different versions of the mx500 they changed the rear suspension geometry on the newer ones to what is now the mx650.

The rear seat plastic is the end of life component unfortunately this is to force a lot of people to buy a new bike :-(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might be possible. I’m working with two MX 500s, one is 13 years old, the other one is five. The 650 I am working on is six years old . And a second I’m 650 which is about eight years old. All parts are totally interchangeable. If it’s the black ones, maybe, you might be thinking of the McGrath SX500, that one might not fit. I only thought for those the front wheel was different but it is possible More is different. Sorry for the rant but I know I was right for the ones I have always worked on

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
That might be possible. I’m working with two MX 500s, one is 13 years old, the other one is five. The 650 I am working on is six years old . And a second I’m 650 which is about eight years old. All parts are totally interchangeable. If it’s the black ones, maybe, you might be thinking of the McGrath SX500, that one might not fit. I only thought for those the front wheel was different but it is possible More is different. Sorry for the rant but I know I was right for the ones I have always worked on
Your correct I was thinking of the sx500 sorry for the misinformation good looking out this is why it's good to have members in multiple categories with all different types of bikes for the checks and balances getting the correct information to the end user is the most important thing...

it's always good to have positive members that step up when the wrong information is given thank you for being a pocket bike planet member...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good to know. I have owned a few mx500 and mx650. Never the sx500. Thanks for the info. I actually almost bought one to modify

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was on the lookout for a used SX500 due to the slightly higher seat height, but 2 weeks ago managed to grab a MX650 locally of FB marketplace and just put a new $15 SX500 shock on it, raising the seat ~2.5".
Not crazy about the smaller front wheel, or steeper front fork angle, of the SX500 so glad to stay with MX500/650.

If you really want an SX500 to mod, rather than buy a beat up one that needs a bunch of stuff to work well for $150+ (here in the Houston area ANY MX/SX500 gets snapped up for $250 or more, even in less-than great shape) better to just spend $470 on a brand new one, sell the batteries for $100, and go from there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That's true, my area they are $350 Plus for the same condition as your 250. Every once in awhile I can snag a 500 or 650 for $150 or less. Most people ask $450 or more and every one of them needs batteries

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an alert set on FB Marketplace to email me whenever MX500, MX650 or SX500 comes up.
The guy I got mine from (I messaged him 10 minutes after he posted it) said before I showed up to buy it 3 hours later he had over 10 inquiries.
A couple weeks before I bought mine for $250 (2015 MX650, decent shape but rear caliper was missing bolt and front forks aren't super) I JUST missed a nicer looking MX650 for $125 :(
Seller said the batteries wouldn't hold a charge which is fine, I'd do a Lithium Ion upgrade, but someone else snagged it 5 minutes after posting.
The modded ones for $350+ don't seem to sell quickly, but unless it's totally trashed any 500/650 sells like hotcakes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info, in my area there are a ton of people using the sx500 frame for gas conversions. More open

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes I have my alert set for the razor dirt bikes as well. The cheapest one I ever picked up razor MX650 for $40. It needed it computer and throttle but the batteries were good. I was in that thing for $85 for 2 years. The only bad part was the kids that owned it spray painted the whole thing gold. Every chance I got I would take Parts cleaner and spray a Rag and wipe it down to try to get it off. It was much better when I eventually sold it. But I ended up spray-painting the handlebars and rear control arm black.

·
Registered
9 Posts
score!!
Feels like I used up most of my super cheap-Razor luck with my first: a MX350 2.5 years ago. Didn't realize it at the time but it was fairly rare older model with F/R suspension, 350W motor and progressive throttle. Thing was practically new old stock, except for one inner tube and new batteries. Only after I bought it and learned of how after Version Rev 8 Razor reduced features did I realize what a deal it was for $75.
I thought my MX500 for $125 was a good deal, until after replacing both wheels, forks, brakes and batteries put me about where a new one would have cost :p
At least I got to know it inside and out, and have the satisfaction of bringing one back from the dead.

If there isn't one already there should be a thread about used Razor purchases, the good the bad and the ugly :)

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
Definitely the first modification you should do not only two support future mods but also to take the hassle and headache out of the whole thing whether you go with premium packs like MaxAmps a self-built budget pack out of premium cells or you just buy a pack off of eBay and keep your fingers crossed it's going to be way better than the stock SLA batteries from China

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ha, awesome. I used to pick up the newer mx350 bikes for roughly 40 to $50 all the time and now I can't touch one for less than 150. I used to flip those bikes and make a quick $75. Almost every single one of them had good batteries.
Yes I know exactly what tools to take my whole MX500 apart. And have taken quite a few of part and put back together. I tell you what I had to do a tire on a used one for the rear and it was no fun. I remember reading about a few people doing it and gave up. I recently picked up in MX650 I believe I mentioned $100. Needs a little work, I'm putting in better batteries and a sticker package and going to go to my local bicycle shop to have the front wheel trued in.
Definitely hear you on the good bad and ugly. Do you realize when you're buying what to look for. Basically I want a complete bike and don't care about the batteries of the computer. Those are the cheapest items to replace well, maybe not the batteries but at least you know what you have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts