Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny title, I know. Been a long time rider and reader. Finally. Made the brake to signing up.
Have had a few Blatas but also have a few Chinese bikes in the fleet. I will get pics soon. Hopefully the little info I may need is available here. Read many of the old posts.

·
Registered
Blata quadard. 2 xhinese copy quads. 3 lucky 7's. 1 lucky 7 trike. 1 cag.
44 Posts
Same boat mate, learned everything I know about two strokes from reading old threads on here and watching YouTube videos lol.
Seem to be doing alright, got a decent collection of cags and quads and always seem to be able to get them running alright.
Getting into tuning and upgrading recently and seems to be going alright. Thought its about time to put back a bit of info so will be trying to be more active on here. What blatas have you got?
I owned an elite 4.2 about 10years ago, brilliant bit of kit. Just found and bought a blata quadard, thats the next project. Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I used to have an Elite 11 with a 6.2 Polini, but sold it. Needed cash. Shouldn't have sold it. Still have the tried and true 2.5. Lol. Also the 2 Chinese Cags. I would love a quadard. I will keep my eye out. Lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
The quadard is brilliant so much fun and nice to work on something with some actual build quality.
My elite got stolen out of my mums shed. Was working on a building site two weeks later in a rough area and saw 4 little scallys booting round a field on what I suddenly realised was my bike. Shot over there and got as close to them as I could without raising suspicion then just when one of them turned it off I ran at the little shites swearing my head off. They all gave it boots and I got the bike back.
It was battered, no front fairing, rear brake snapped off and they'd been running it on straight petrol, twats.
Sold it on for about 100quid, I was honest about its past. Got out of the hobby for ten years now back into it again. Worst thing now is decent quality parts seem hard to get.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I've just joined the forum in hopes of getting some opinions and info. I was given this bike a while ago and am trying to decide what to do with it. I guess the first question is, what is it? The next question is is it worth trying to save it? And third, would parts be available for something like this?

Generally the bike seems to be in OK shape except for 2 serious issues. As you can see in the pics the top end is trashed and a section of the frame is broken. Looking at the frame I have a couple of ideas I might try for a repair job but the cylinder, piston etc is just rubbish.

Repair? Part it out? Throw it in the dumpster? What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Screenshot_20201014-164825_Samsung Internet.jpg
Hi bud,
My opinion if you ain't planning on racing it and its just for shits and goggles then repair it. I'm not great on the watercooled bikes but its probably a 39cc watercooled rep. Brother had one back in the day, it will fly. Apparently they are a bit temperamental but aren't they all.
Frame can be fixed. Got a access to a tig welder? Failing that a plate either side of the crack. Drill through the frame a bolt the plates on. Wont look pretty but would do the job.
Parts will be tricky but not impossible. There's a guy on her called EPR who from memory has mixed copy and original parts and if its possible the European parts will still be available. If not ebay/gumtree etc and just keep your eyes peeled.
All depends on how skilled you are and if you can be arsed.

Max

Edit:- just seen this on ebay.co.uk think its some.of the bits you need so they are out there and not too expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would definitely try to fix it. If you're not good with the welder, there's got to be somebody around that is.
As for the engine they're always rebuildable, original European pocket bike parts expensive but remakes are usually just as good, not necessarily lasting as long.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The cast aluminum isn't easy to weld, it would be easyer to buy the frame parts new(origin or rep).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not that bad. I wouldn't buy new considering those frames are crazy expensive for us and the US to obtain. If he can't do it there's always good welders around that can. I've sent plenty of my stuff out to be welded. It's metal cast or not it can be welded. And the good welders will know how to make it strong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It all comes down to what you want from it.
Me personally i love the challenge of repairing what is. If your mechanically able that can all be done, especially if its just for flying round the yard at work or down few private roads, lol
I'd strip it down, take the frame to a local engineering shop or garage and get a proper opinion. Someone can fix that up and get it strong enough to be safe.
Engine wise, just strip it down and see how bad the damage is. You'll learn a ton. The air-cooled engines are so simple cant imagine the w/c are that much more complicated. If you get stuck ask questions here and progress as you go.

Max

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. This is a "shits and giggles" project for sure. There won't be any racing on this. I've taken the major components apart and it looks reasonably good except for the 2 problem areas. I took the frame piece in to a top of the line welder and he said he'd have no problem repairing it. That's one problem solved. The engine parts are proving difficult for me to find. I spent several hours on the internet yesterday but kept coming up against discontinued stock. One site said "back-ordered" so I'm on their email list for when it comes in. Any reliable sources that anyone knows of?

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
Those engines are no longer manufactured and have just been discontinued since 2009 parts are not coming back in stock.

You're going to need to find New old stock or a parts engine or bike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys. This is a "shits and giggles" project for sure. There won't be any racing on this. I've taken the major components apart and it looks reasonably good except for the 2 problem areas. I took the frame piece in to a top of the line welder and he said he'd have no problem repairing it. That's one problem solved. The engine parts are proving difficult for me to find. I spent several hours on the internet yesterday but kept coming up against discontinued stock. One site said "back-ordered" so I'm on their email list for when it comes in. Any reliable sources that anyone knows of?

Bill
Bill, from the looks of the engine. I would probably just try to hone the cylinder, buy a brand new piston and rings off of eBay. Make sure you take your measurements and find the right one. Clean up all the rest of the parts. Anything that has to do with the water cooled jackets should be able to be cleaned up. I would definitely just try that since I think I remember you saying the bottom and looked good. Worst case it won't work and you could always find an air-cooled engine or if I remember correctly really the only difference with the water cooled and air-cooled is the cylinder head itself. You could always go that route. Find an air cooled cylinder and still replace the piston/rings. Something you have to decide for yourself. But if it were me trying a new piston and rings for 20 or $30 to see if it's going to run would be worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for help BlataKing. I'm presently trying to find an American mailbox I can ship an ebay cylinder, piston, pin and bearing kit to and then get it shipped to Canada. The ebay seller doesn't ship internationally himself, he does it through ebay which won't send these parts for some reason. So I'm still hoping to sort this out otherwise I might be taking one of your suggestions. As far as honing the cylinder the chrome lining is missing in several places so that's not gonna work. Re-chromed? Something else I might look into.

Bill

·
Registered
419 Posts
I can offer you a big bore kit for the cag engine with shipping directly to Canada if you are interested pn me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. It was bit of a song and dance but with some help (thanks kray15) I was able to source a barrel / piston kit from the States. I had to ship it to a "mailbox" in the US that could then courier it on to me in Canada. I haven't received it yet but it should be here next week. 🤞 I found a different supplier and was able to order a cylinder head dome and gasket kit so I should be good to go once it all arrives. As it's closing in on winter here I've got lots of time so I'll completely dis-assemble it, clean, inspect, repair, even polish (sometimes I can't help myself) and probably paint a few pieces. The bodywork will need repairing and a paint job as well. As for the frame the piece is still at the welder's. I should get that this week as well. Looking forward to fun little project. Thanks to all for their help and input. Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts