Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a IP2 Adj. Jet/tripple tappered needle. Where do I begin to tune the setup? Idle, Needle, Jet? Anyone have a step by step? I can't even get it to start.

·
Registered
62 Posts
SDR1DER said:
I just installed a IP2 Adj. Jet/tripple tappered needle. Where do I begin to tune the setup? Idle, Needle, Jet? Anyone have a step by step? I can't even get it to start.
Sorry, think we messed up your adjuster (and maybe the jet) :eek:

Once the bowl is secure, tighten the newly inserted needle a few turns and lock the nut into place. DO not thread it all the way in!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
SDR1DER said:
I'm probably not the best one to give advice, cause I can't get any power out of my ip2 pipe, but here are some things to check out:

First, make sure that the needle is seating in the jet properly. There is a little play in the mounting for the float bowl, so if it is not perfectly centered, you may be not be able to screw the needle in and control the fuel flow. the best way I found to do it is to take off the float bowl, screw the needle most of the way in, and line it up with the jet. Then put the screws in the float bowl, and as you are turning them in, back out the adjuster/needle. If you do it right, the adjuster will line up perfectly with the jet.

Second, you may want to put in your old needle, since you know where that was set to make the bike run.

Third, Make sure that you are getting enough fuel through the petcock. The rubber disinigrated in mine and was restricting the flow. It took me a long time to figure out that I wasn't getting enough gas through to keep the float bowl filled.

Try that and see if it helps.

Pete

·
Registered
289 Posts
does urs leak from the bottom of the bowl?

·
Registered
20 Posts
These are the instructions Tyler sent me.
When using the 3 stage tapered needle,you will want to start with the clip in the middle or the 3rd position for a base line,you can adjust if you need to.

Tuning instructions
1. Start the bike on the stand.
2. If the bike will not idle,adjust the jet until you find the correct setting and the bike will run.
3. Once the bike will run,hold the throttle wide open.
4.Adjust the jet at WOT until you hear the engine peak.You want it to rev as hard as possible without bogging or popping.
5.Once you find the correct setting,lock the silver nut to the bottom of the carb.
6.Ride the bike and adjust as necessary.
7.once you are done adjusting silicone the base of the jet to hold it in place and keep it from leaking.

For step seven when I installed the jet I sealed it with permatex hylomar the stuff never actually dries hard so you can still adjust things without it leaking and the gas doesnt hurt it.You can find it at any auto parts store.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should be able to screw it in and you will feel it start to get a little tight. STOP right there and back it off 3/4 to 1 turn out for starters. You might have to crack the throttle to get it started and adjust the idle.

To keep it from leaking, get some Permatex HYLOMAR HPF gasket dressing and flange sealant and put a little on the end threads up by the washer. Works like a charm! It's gas proof and never skins over or dries. Don't use the rubber O ring, use the stock red gasket or make one from gasket material. Just barely snug the nut down. You should be able to turn the jet pretty easy. Mine has not leaked in over a month.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good stuff guys :thumbsup: keeping my fingers crossed. nobody mentioned anything about the ilde screw. When should that be adjusted, after the jet and needle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts