Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an IP2 Pipe and Adjustable Jet that I have been messing with off and on for a couple of weeks. I am still having trouble getting power out of it. Right now I am set at position 5 on the stock needle (I tried 4, and it seemed as if it lost even more low end power) and I have tried adjusting the main jet up and down at mostly 1/4 to 1/8 turn adjustments, and it never seems to get "on the pipe". The top speed is about the same as before the mods (about 30), but it takes me longer to get there. My brother's squiggly line head bike used to pull harder off the line, but I had a few miles and hour greater top end. Now he pulls a bunch harder off the line, and it takes me about 100 yards to start gaining back on him and probably 200 yards to catch him. I rode his and it gets to speed a much, much quicker than mine. Overall, my bike just feels flat now. There is no real stong pull at any RPM. Can anyone give me some advice? How about some step by step tuning instructions? I messed around with it for several hours on both Saturday and Sunday last week, and I'm not sure what to try next.

My bike:
- IP2 Pipe
- Adjustable Main Jet
- Tapered Needle ( not currently installed)
- 1.5 clutch springs
- Modified stock airbox

My next steps:
- try 1.4 and/or stock springs (maybe the clutch isn't engaging)
- put the tapered needle back in (worth a shot)
- Take off the airbox completely (maybe the mods I did aren't helping)

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
well you may not have enough mods to really take advantage of the ip2 pipe. I put ip2 pipe on my bike and it has 0 low end but the top end really screams if you have the revs. How is your stock airbox modified? have you pulled your plug to see what it looks like?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have you tried the stock clutch springs?

The 1.5 springs just slipped alot for me.

Try the 1.4 or go back to stock and see if this helps.

The low end will be a little less but the mid and top end pull should be alot stronger than the stock pipe.

I did a run with the stock pipe and then with the IP2 pipe. My time was within 1 second of the other and I was 7mph faster on top with the IP2 pipe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did pull the plug out, and it looked sort of brownish black. Does anyone have a picture of what a "good" plug color should look like? On the airbox, I opened up the center of the round piece that holds the filter material in place, and then I drilled out the back side of the cover. I may try running it without the filter at some point just to rule that out. I'll give the 1.4 springs a shot as well. The bike is up at my parents place in Ohio, so I won't be able to mess with it until I'm up there again in a week and a half.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here is the picture of a good plug:

onblur said:
I did pull the plug out, and it looked sort of brownish black. Does anyone have a picture of what a "good" plug color should look like? On the airbox, I opened up the center of the round piece that holds the filter material in place, and then I drilled out the back side of the cover. I may try running it without the filter at some point just to rule that out. I'll give the 1.4 springs a shot as well. The bike is up at my parents place in Ohio, so I won't be able to mess with it until I'm up there again in a week and a half.

Any other ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
doubt it but is the reed petal closing, mine started to not close and it took me FOREVER to get to top speed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Try putting your stock pipe back on. I have a IP2 pipe and I haven't been using it because I lost all low end. I'm waiting on the big mods before I put it back on. I would like to get a Jet Pro but I don't want to spend anymore on a pipe. We'll see when major mods come if it works for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm, the reed petal theory is one I had not thought of. I'm guessing that I'd need to graba carbon reed to see if that was the case? I'm back on the stock pipe for now, and I think the bike is quicker in all aspects (low end, top end, and acceleration). Weird...

Pete

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had the FG .3mmm reed and it ran good for a while then I took it out to check uif i had cracked it or something and it was 3/16 open at rest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts