Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always on my way here, wasn't I? LOL Long time rider here, and lover of all bikes but especially small ones, this is my latest acquisition. I realized about the time that I ordered it from bikeberry, that it greatly resembles a pocket bike in some ways. I've owned a lot of different small displacement bikes but somehow have never managed to slip into the side lanes of pocket bikes or gopeds, although recently in the past year or so my boys both got old enough for me to justify getting really way too far into Razor scooters and MX350's and 650's, all of which we have and all are modded to varying degrees, all of them awesome. Anyhow, I'm here to learn all about the potential that I know is inside this little guy, a bike we've dubbed "Poopsi". Poopsi has already shown near 25mph speeds, but know there's more here. This one's a 50cc 2 stroke, so I know how to do what's needed- I just sort of need to know the what to spend the $$ on. Specific questions 1. what walbro type carb can I put on here for higher flow and adjustability (stock carb has a blocked off air mixture port). 2. Pipes? I'd like to keep it compact if possible. (Might forgo a pipe for now if it's going to turn it into a trumpet) 3. Clutches- do people like to mod the stock clutches or is there something out there w adjustable tension or springs that will raise stall a few rpms? 4. Am I overlooking anything deceptively important like better spark plug? 5. Can you get a TAV style CVT running on one of these?? I'm in Western WA and want the bike to be adult rider friendly (Hills. Everywhere).

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your kick stands amazing! Really like the shoe :) you might be able to add one of those Amazon big bore kits. Look up some goped exhausts and make sure the flang matches the exhaust port. Idk about a cvt need more photos, but they do sell clutches that u can add a timing key to the crank shaft if it has a slot for one. They also sell "racing clutches" on Amazon too some better than others, hit and miss. Building one up is alot of trial and error.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,439 Posts
Well said, here is an old piece of an old thread, I believe it was said by CAM2, the rocket keys are on ebay.....................

So you have a cheap 2 stroker bike thats in need of some more power........Theres no real mystery to it and its quite general for most pocketbike engines like cags and x1's where both have different types of two stroker engines... This Thread outlines JUST the D.I.Y mods aswell as Basic modsyou can do to enhance power ......This thread does not cover porting or blueprinting.....Theres threads that outline the blueprinting and porting process and requires an attention to detail aswell as a dremel set fully loaded with assorted cutters/grinders...

Change the Fuellines and In-Tank Fuel Clunker..........If the fuel in the tank is old ....remove the tank and wash it out with hot water ans dish soap then dry it out thoroughly........ Get rid of stock airfilter and get a velocity stack w/ built-in chokeand a hp airfilter.....Now youre gonna ask where....??? Check out the PBP vendor supplier section for more info.....Usual cost for a setup is around $20 bux shipped.....I like to use ebay......

There is also a DIY mod utilizing a laundry detergent bottle cap and some pantyhose...You use the palm of your hand as the choke... or if your handy can add a choke flap by removing the one from the stock airbox and rigging it to work........Cost of this Mod...maybe $2 bucks and 30 mins time.........

Just know that when you improve airflow intake youll be leaning out the engine severely so therefore some carb tuning may be required.......If you have a Walbro carb you have Lowspeed and Highspeed needles screws on the side of the carb that do almost the same thing the same way.. Heres a video for tuning the stock 15mm WYK carb.........
http://s709.photobucket.com/albums/ww99/CAM2_photo/4 stroke stock carb/?action=view¤t=004-3.mp4

Walbro WT813 HP Pumper Carb Upgrade............. Using this carb will require you use an adapter plate or you mod the stock intake with JB Weld...Cost of this upgrade varies from $32.99-$50 bux...

JUST AS A NOTE>>>>>>>>>>>>....................I suggest you using new gaskets between the insulator block and engine aswell as between the carb too....Never trust old gaskets in this area and NEVER use RTV sealants!.. If youre handy you can buy a rolled sheet or rubber fibre material thats .025" thick to make new gaskets with......... Lighten the flywheel by clipping the fins 3/8" shorter to reduce fin drag and reduce reciprocating weight....cost of this mod....30 mins of your time with a hacksaw ,,sandpaper and a file

Add a rocket key.....Alot ask does it work and is it worth the effort and the money....The answer is YES....cost of this mod is under $10 bux..Daves Discount Motors is the best place to get them...You want the LARGE rocket key............. For more info about the way to install it heres a thread..... How to install a rocket key the easy way

Modify the Clutch.......This is done by crossdrilling the pads ,,adding a hp clutchspring,,deglazing the clutchpads and clutchbell with 100 grit sandpaper and deoxidize/de-rust clutch mount bolt shoulders and mount holes on the pads..When you reinstall the clutchpads make sure you use loctite on the screws.........cost of this mod.......30 mins labor with a handdrill,,some sandpaper,,metal polish and of course threadlocker.....

Get a quality brand sparkplug........NGK BPMR7A plug gap is between .030" to .035" JUST AS A NOTE>>>>>>................After you reinstall the coil after modding the flywheel/adding a rocket key and modding the clutches it will have to begapped properly......This is done using a business card that a true .020" thick........most use index card shreds but it has to be atleast .020" thick to maximum .024" thick....

DIY Boostbottle Setup............Alot ask if boost bottles work and worth the effort......?.....The answer is YES....Theres many-many threads on what boost bottles do and how to make them..Do a search for past threads on the subject....I personally use them and get great results from the ones Ive built myself..

·
Administrator
3,622 Posts
Well said, here is an old piece of an old thread, I believe it was said by CAM2, the rocket keys are on ebay.....................

So you have a cheap 2 stroker bike thats in need of some more power........Theres no real mystery to it and its quite general for most pocketbike engines like cags and x1's where both have different types of two stroker engines... This Thread outlines JUST the D.I.Y mods aswell as Basic modsyou can do to enhance power ......This thread does not cover porting or blueprinting.....Theres threads that outline the blueprinting and porting process and requires an attention to detail aswell as a dremel set fully loaded with assorted cutters/grinders...

Change the Fuellines and In-Tank Fuel Clunker..........If the fuel in the tank is old ....remove the tank and wash it out with hot water ans dish soap then dry it out thoroughly........ Get rid of stock airfilter and get a velocity stack w/ built-in chokeand a hp airfilter.....Now youre gonna ask where....??? Check out the PBP vendor supplier section for more info.....Usual cost for a setup is around $20 bux shipped.....I like to use ebay......

There is also a DIY mod utilizing a laundry detergent bottle cap and some pantyhose...You use the palm of your hand as the choke... or if your handy can add a choke flap by removing the one from the stock airbox and rigging it to work........Cost of this Mod...maybe $2 bucks and 30 mins time.........

Just know that when you improve airflow intake youll be leaning out the engine severely so therefore some carb tuning may be required.......If you have a Walbro carb you have Lowspeed and Highspeed needles screws on the side of the carb that do almost the same thing the same way.. Heres a video for tuning the stock 15mm WYK carb.........
http://s709.photobucket.com/albums/ww99/CAM2_photo/4 stroke stock carb/?action=view¤t=004-3.mp4

Walbro WT813 HP Pumper Carb Upgrade............. Using this carb will require you use an adapter plate or you mod the stock intake with JB Weld...Cost of this upgrade varies from $32.99-$50 bux...

JUST AS A NOTE>>>>>>>>>>>>....................I suggest you using new gaskets between the insulator block and engine aswell as between the carb too....Never trust old gaskets in this area and NEVER use RTV sealants!.. If youre handy you can buy a rolled sheet or rubber fibre material thats .025" thick to make new gaskets with......... Lighten the flywheel by clipping the fins 3/8" shorter to reduce fin drag and reduce reciprocating weight....cost of this mod....30 mins of your time with a hacksaw ,,sandpaper and a file

Add a rocket key.....Alot ask does it work and is it worth the effort and the money....The answer is YES....cost of this mod is under $10 bux..Daves Discount Motors is the best place to get them...You want the LARGE rocket key............. For more info about the way to install it heres a thread..... How to install a rocket key the easy way

Modify the Clutch.......This is done by crossdrilling the pads ,,adding a hp clutchspring,,deglazing the clutchpads and clutchbell with 100 grit sandpaper and deoxidize/de-rust clutch mount bolt shoulders and mount holes on the pads..When you reinstall the clutchpads make sure you use loctite on the screws.........cost of this mod.......30 mins labor with a handdrill,,some sandpaper,,metal polish and of course threadlocker.....

Get a quality brand sparkplug........NGK BPMR7A plug gap is between .030" to .035" JUST AS A NOTE>>>>>>................After you reinstall the coil after modding the flywheel/adding a rocket key and modding the clutches it will have to begapped properly......This is done using a business card that a true .020" thick........most use index card shreds but it has to be atleast .020" thick to maximum .024" thick....

DIY Boostbottle Setup............Alot ask if boost bottles work and worth the effort......?.....The answer is YES....Theres many-many threads on what boost bottles do and how to make them..Do a search for past threads on the subject....I personally use them and get great results from the ones Ive built myself..

This is really great information can you start a new thread with this information and I will sticky it!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks so much your reply was exactly what I was hoping for. I'll read the resources you shared and maybe reply again with some follow up questions. Everything sounds fairly understandable though. As an old moped Guy personally I'm quite familiar with DIY'ing up various solutions and we always keep various gasket making materials around for when they're needed. Sounds like these little motors are just as much fun as all the others! Luk\ckily this bike is brand new, so at least we are starting with a freshie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
General question for all- does anyone else here own one of these Mototec V1's? I'd love to know if this weird thing has been accepted/adopted by others and what your experiences have been. these seem like a more recent bike, form factor wise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts