Pocketbike Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Pretty sure that is the only con of a blata. Having the water pump inside the case.

·
I GIVE 2 CENTS
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I wouldn't call it a con. There is a reason blata does it, to keep water moving through the engine when the bike isn't moving. If it was that bad they would have switched it years ago.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
The real Blatas are not the problem, the China junk ones are. My C1 had 10 hours on a new bike / engine. I had dirt bike radiator mix, and never beat the crap out of it, only ran it 10 or 15mins at a time. The cheap bearings froze, burnt the shaft seal, burnt the drive O ring, and the engine filled with green water. That's another good reason to run some colored water, easy to see when it leaks. I pulled the intake and reed plate and green every where inside.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Well normally you wouldn't let the bike sit idling for long periods of time. And if you need to replace the seals or bearings you have to take the whole engine apart.

·
I GIVE 2 CENTS
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Well normally you wouldn't let the bike sit idling for long periods of time. And if you need to replace the seals or bearings you have to take the whole engine apart.
Yea but how often do you need on on that? Probably less often than changing out engine gaskets. So while you were doing that might as well change the seals out too. Not a big deal really.

·
I GIVE 2 CENTS
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So you guys know me by now, I love doing the cosmetics on these bikes. I'm about to start repair work on the fiberglass fairing set he gave me. Right now the seat has a good fracture right on the upward bend of the rear portion of the seat (see photo). I bought a big can of epoxy and fiberglass. I've done these repairs before and it all just comes down to taking your time and sanding. I'm still not sure what the new color is going to be. I usually go with a theme. My 910 is based off the 2008 Ferrari F1 car. My B1 is based off Fernando Alonso's 2005 Renault F1 car. I was thinking this one would be based off this years Lotus F1 car. Either that or some kind of neon based color. What do you guys think???

Second, the other set of fairing he gave me, the main set, full fairing carbon fiber. Well, these also have scratches and dings, but since it is carbon fiber, the kits to repair are pretty expensive. I was wondering if the fiberglass kit would work on these as well? I'm not really planning on keeping the carbon fiber bare look, not really my style. So as long as the fiberglass does the job of repair, I'm not worried about keeping the look, I would just paint over it. I really would prefer to have full fairings over the half fairing fiberglass set I have. I know the guy I bought it from spent $800 on the full carbon fairing kit... I need opinions. Is it like taboo to go over carbon fiber? Especially since he spent so much on them. I start the sanding down tomorrow. This project will take awhile though, because I don't have many days off the rest of the month and I want this bike to look brand new.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Are you talking about this F1 car.(down below). If so then I DEFIANTLY agree with you on the paint job. In my opinion you are just changing the material that you are using to fix the body. So my guess is that the fiberglass kit would work fine. But the carbon fiber is probably stronger. But that is just my best guess. So I was just looking up how to repair carbon fiber with fiberglass repair kit and I saw this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repairing-a-Carbon-Fiber-Bicycle-Frame/

It is about a bike frame but it is carbon fiber. He said the carbon fiber "yarn" or whatever was $45 bucks a foot. I would just read it and see what you think.

·
I GIVE 2 CENTS
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Do it Brett, I'll take functionality over beauty any day of the week!

As far as I know the epoxy you get for fiberglass should work just fine on the carbon fiber.
I really enjoy making my stuff look nice, painting is my favorite part. So it's gonna look amazing eventually. The color is just what I can't decide on right now.

And I figured the fiberglass kit would work, I just wanted to get some opinions before I possible run an expensive set of fairings lol

·
I GIVE 2 CENTS
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Are you talking about this F1 car.(down below). If so then I DEFIANTLY agree with you on the paint job. In my opinion you are just changing the material that you are using to fix the body. So my guess is that the fiberglass kit would work fine. But the carbon fiber is probably stronger. But that is just my best guess. So I was just looking up how to repair carbon fiber with fiberglass repair kit and I saw this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repairing-a-Carbon-Fiber-Bicycle-Frame/

It is about a bike frame but it is carbon fiber. He said the carbon fiber "yarn" or whatever was $45 bucks a foot. I would just read it and see what you think.
Well, I'm just using the fiberglass to cover up chips and some small cracks, so nothing really structural. I'll check out what this guy has to say about repairing it. But yea, the carbon fiber stuff is expensive :/

A also attached a photo of a potential paint color.

Attachments

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
A Formula1 car, they are amazing, I think 2,000cc and 750 horsepower or so. I don't like all the electronics on the F1 stuff, or any race car, push button shifting, why not put a computer that drives the car too, lol. I would make them all 5 or 6 speed manual transmissions, like Nascar, then we could see who can really Man Up, lol. Now racing is who has the most Money!!!

·
I GIVE 2 CENTS
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yea, i think the Lotus theme is what it's gonna be. I'm gonna make it super glossy too. Should look cool.

I've attached a photo of where I'm at on sanding the seat/tank fairing. I can tell the previous owner had tried to do some repairs with a fiberglass kit of his own. These were his practice fairings so I imagine he beat them up pretty good. You can see all the pinkish areas are where he repaired. I've been working on the tail portion the most and reshaping his work to match the other side better.

Still not done sanding this piece yet either, been working on it for a little over an hour now. This is going to take time, but at least it's fun!

Attachments

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,569 Posts
Matco tools just brought their nhra top fuel driver into our shop to talk to the kids, 498 cubic inch engine that makes roughly 10,000lb/ft of torque and 15,000hp. He hit 331mph in just under 1000ft. He is the current world champion and a really cool guy! His story of how he became a driver was amazing!!!

A Formula1 car, they are amazing, I think 2,000cc and 750 horsepower or so. I don't like all the electronics on the F1 stuff, or any race car, push button shifting, why not put a computer that drives the car too, lol. I would make them all 5 or 6 speed manual transmissions, like Nascar, then we could see who can really Man Up, lol. Now racing is who has the most Money!!!

Attachments

·
I GIVE 2 CENTS
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
1600cc V6 turbos this year. I love the F1 guys. All drivers qualifying times are usually within about a second or two of each other, and the top ten are usually just separated by tenths! On tracks that are 3-5 miles long with 15+ turns, having times that close are amazing. I do wish they got rid of ABS and a few other aids, more likens what the racing in the early 2000s, but F1 is still amazing. I don't mind NASCAR when they are doing the two road courses, but outside of that, I'd hardly say the manual shifting matters, once they are up to speed they don't have to touch the gears, maybe downshift once in awhile to pass or out of a corner, but nothing like the rally guys, they are impressive! But it is all money, and that will never change in racing.

·
I GIVE 2 CENTS
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I had to take a break. There's gotta be 5 layers of paint on this thing, my hand was cramping up. Good thing is I only have the sides left to do. Then I'm gonna get the dremmel out and carve the cracks back before I patch it up with the fiberglass. After that, sand again and slowly use a higher grit.

·
I GIVE 2 CENTS
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well, sun is going down. So I put it away for the night. Worked about 4 hours on the one piece and didn't get it done. Nothing less than perfection on this project. I won't be back home till thanksgiving, so it may be awhile till this project is done.

Mace, I was thinking of that, but then thought it was too common on race bike to look like Rossi. I like the guy, but he's too marketed, so I was looking for something more original.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yeah the lotus F1 color scheme looks great. And when it comes down to it is your bike. I really love F1 racing btw. Probably Ferrari is one of my favorite teams.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.