Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i was racing in july and i crashed and broke my collar bone and i lost all my confidence :mad: and now finding it hard to race again i was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me get it back agen :D thanks scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was riding every weekend before the crash but i have only been 3 times in the last 4 months and the day i crashed was the first time i was geting my knee down i was trying for like 6 months lool

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Realize why you crashed and the mistake you made and do your best to either not do it or build up your strength in the areas needed to trully work the bike instead of the bike working you.Having the bike setup for strictly racing will also help because a confident and consistent feeling machine builds a confident rider............Ive been in a few horrendous bike crashes yet I still do stupid things without thinking.....After my third wreck and being put together with alot of plates screws ,swivels and rods I was out riding my old 85 honda Big Red riding low gear wheelies with a neck brace a month after leaving the hospital.....Be safe.......Peace.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
CAM2 and Eddy have got the best advice. Take it easy for a little while, get used to the bike again, then start thinking about what happened and WHY it happened, and how to prevent doing the same thing in the future. What did you do then that may have caused it? What steps could you take to avoid doing it again? Racing isn't simply going fast and dragging your knees - it's also how fast to go, where the best place is to knee-drag, how low do you go, when do you let off the throttle and when do you get back into it ....The more you ride and just practice, the more you'll understand the bike. Once you understand what the bike is capable of, then you start seeing what you're capable of. Of course, always remember to wear protective gear.

Enough of the sermon - now git yer butt back on that bad boy and show it who's boss.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry one more quick thing iz there anything i can do in the week because i can only ride saturday and sunday? thanks scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
study the track and go over turns in your head when ever you get a minute thats what i do in the summer when i go out to arizona for mx it helps alot plus itll keep your mind of of things

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
for me confidence was about knowing the bike would be good and preform like i wanted it too
like when i had the stock tires it was ok cause i never pushed it, then when i went to race i knew that i needed new tires better suited for racing
knowing that my tires wouldnt slip is what made me say to myself lets see what this can do
and then i found the limit and wrecked
i was rattled for a race or 2 and then i was back pushing it again just respecting the corner i wrecked at a little more

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The confidence will comeback as long as you don't give up.Make sure your machine of choice is up to par this will help a great deal.

I always crash going into left hand turns at some point during a race weekend.It never "F" fails! Never on the right hand side not once since iv'e been racing these mini's going on 10yrs.LOL

·
Registered
859 Posts
study the track and go over turns in your head when ever you get a minute thats what i do in the summer when i go out to arizona for mx it helps alot plus itll keep your mind of of things
just to add to this statement. anytime that you are at a track, there is usually some point that you are allowed to "walk the track". take this time to walk it and note braking points, apex's, properlines and any track conditions that may effect the handling of the bike. then when you take your practice laps fine tune all of those braking points and such. By the time you line up for a race, you'll be focused on the race and not your fears.

·
Registered
691 Posts
how did you break you collar bone? did you hi side? need to take it slow and back track and remeber what you did. I have been talking with my son he also broke his, but we got lucky he did his on TV on the descovery channel so we could see it alot and figure it out. I guess I would call it luck. but he is still not ready to race again.

·
Registered
315 Posts
When you hit the track again. Try to pick very specific targets for which part of the track you want to be on and when. As you build your speed continue to hit those targets and by the time you are going full pace you should have every confidence in your ability to control the bike.

When you crash your body's imediate involuntary reaction is to put you hands out to protect your head and this is the cause of many cycle related collarbone injurys. The correct reaction when riding a motorbike and wearing all the appropriate gear is to relax and go limp (on a pushbike you just go ahead and break your collarbone). With no tension in your muscles and joints it is much harder to break a bone. Knowing this beforehand seems to be all that is needed to solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts