I wanted to take a moment and extend a big Thanks to Jay at Tsunami for his help yesterday. He was very, very helpful and polite as he educated me on the proper setup of the clutch and getting the right parts.
Very pleasant to deal with and highly knowledgeable. Pretty cool.
The Phantom, while in near perfect condition, had a few minor issues. Mostly surrounding the clutch.
Finding the appropriate parts for a bike like this takes a bit of work. Jay was great at getting me all the stuff I wanted/needed.
Ordered an entire new BZM clutch assembly along with 80, 79, and 78 mm bells. Springs, shoes, hardware, all sorts of goodies.
Then came the work. The bearing on the clutch cover was nuked. It'd seen its share of heat and funk from clutch dust. As I'm removing it in the press I notice that one ear of the cover is flexing more than the others. The bugger had a crack. I played with it and it fell right off.
This is a part only available from Italy so what to do?
MAKE YOUR OWN!
I measured everything and whipped up two drawings in MasterCam X3. Wrote my tool paths, set up a piece of 7075 AL and went to making some chips.
I think the OEM part was first turned in a lathe to create the radius on the outside finish. I could have done that on my CNC turning center but it would of required a lot of setup work as I typically use only collets in my machine. Changing to a chuck is about a 2 hour process and it sucks doing it.
I generated a revolved solid model, converted it to a surface, and used a scalloped surfacing tool path instead.
Here's the original part and the one I made:
As you can see I added a little meat to mine to aid in the long term durability. The OEM part was pretty thin right at the transition from the legs to the bolt boss. I increased the thickness of the material here another .05" to strengthen it by creating a domed radius on the top of each leg. . I also widened the 4 legs to give it some additional strength where it ties into the center bearing support.
I don't have an M5x.8mm tap so I'll make a trip this am to a tooling vendor so that I can finish this up. Going to replace the mounting bolts also just so everything is ship shape.