Pocketbike Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
no tach yet but I have a fluke 88a, which has the spark plug adaptor with tach function so I can set the clutch.

It would be nice to have a tiny tach permanently mounted to the bike; but not for now. (unless somebody has a used one for sale)
I like the Koso / Stage 6 gauges..

This one does two temps (could be water / head temp and exhaust temp or something else if needed) speed, RPM, and odometer, it has warning lights for temperature warning and rpm overspeed, it logs top speed and can do timed runs to a set distance or speed.

but it wasn't really cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Looks great! I guess an analog display would be even more expensive. I will keep my eyes open and look for a good kit. In the meantime the fluke will have to do for setting up the clutch. Not much use while driving though. Do you guys find it useful while riding? Can these bikes over rev?

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Euro bikes are much more reliable than the China bikes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Will do! Thanks for the many options/recommendations.
However it seems that it is not critical while riding, mainly for setting up the clutch. Assuming that the fluke can give me good enough reading at high RPM, the tach won't be at the top of my list for this Christmas!
Always something to add up to the list with toys!!

I also have the Chinese bike in the garage. I might see to set it up for ice riding. tires are cheap (actually I can pickup a whole other bike just for the wheels and tires and it would be the best option).
Would be easy enough to clear an area on the river with the snowblower and its more linear much lower power will make it more kid friendly.

Attachments

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
A member here already put spikes in his tires, they have kits, one big tire kit will probably do both Cag small tires. You put the spikes thru, cover the heads and run an inner tube.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I'll pickup another cag to have a second set o wheels. There are a few for sale here for cheap missing parts.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Parts is a good thing, I have a whole extra room of parts & frames from 2 to 4 stroke 110 & 125cc Honda clones. I put tubes in all my wheels and rims when I change tires, well Except for Euro bikes, my PMTs on my GRC GP, they been sitting 2 years, & there still rock hard. The China rims don't seal well, they seal them at the factory, then you take them off & the tire rubber is so porous they slowly leak air 24/7. 1 to 7 days to low or flat after replacing, I am looking for some bead sealer.. On my X18R Nitro it has a 10" rim, I wet sanded the alum rim bead with 400 sandpaper and paid $40 to get it mounted and the next morning it was flat, I had steam coming out of my ears, lol.
At scooterparts4less, online in the USA, when you need tires you just buy a set of Ghetto Wheels, Wide slicks mounted to wide alum rims, they have a bad paint job, Randy got them Cheap, $55 for the front & rear wheels and $20 S/H, it's a no brainer, 2 tires are at least $55 plus $20 S/H, an you have to mount them, which can be a Pain and they can leak if you don't seal the tire bead, both sets I got from Randy have been factory sealed they hold air for a long time. The newer rims are narrower and thinner, and have narrow tall treaded tires with hard rubber. My MT-A2 racing Cag has GP RSR 5 spoke rims, much better than the 3 spoke, with SP4L super soft racing slicks. See photos, the 12" rear extended frame the last 3 are the Ghetto Wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Great info about the tires... thanks!
While setting the new clutch the hand crank broke. When I got the bike I noticed the center bolt was only holding by a few threads so I knew it would eventually fail. I will see if I can put some kind of insert to make threads again. A friend who owns a european shop spoke about Time-Sert, it should work and then the bike is back!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Are we talking about the Cag or Euro GRC is it?? Did you break the starter rope, pulley teeth, or flywheel parts??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
the GRC bike. When I got it, it was missing the starter rope. When I took it apart I noticed that the bolt holding the rope spring assembly on the pull start casing was only holding by one thread or two. I figured it would let go eventually...

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Can you replace it with a longer center bolt, and maybe clean the threads w/a tap, or you could glue the longer bolt in with epoxy like JB Weld. I buy good chainsaw #4 starter rope and just rewind the pulley and out the housing hole then put the handle on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
yeah, I thought of making a stud with epoxy, that might be doable. I will see if there is enough material for the time-sert, as it would be a more proper fix. If not, JB weld it is!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I have a full Metric tap & die set in a case w/ easy outs, drills and all that that stuff. If it is a M6 x 1.0 pitch bolt, get a tap and grind the end down till the tip is almost gone, then you have an end tap. Run it into the hole as far as you can, then a bolt that fits, and JB Weld if needed. Way back I broke a crank end bolt head off, took a whole day to drill it out and fix it, lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thanks, will do that. Good tip on grinding down the regular tap tip to make an end tap!
These repairs can take some time if you want them done properly that's right.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Your doing good, sometimes you have to Mod or make your own parts, lol. On my China bikes I don't care so much, I will weld, glue, grind whatever to fix it. My Euros I do it right even if I have to wait for parts, lol.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Your doing good, sometimes you have to Mod or make your own parts, lol. On my China bikes I don't care so much, I will weld, glue, grind whatever to fix it. My Euros I do it right even if I have to wait for parts, lol.
Sometimes a quick fix can outlast a well thought out plan...Ive seen it happen..

Whether its european ,,japanese or chinese Im not afraid to hack something up to venture out into the unknown because if I didnt it would nit pick on me til I did anyways....LOL

Got tired of watching the flimsy footpegs on my Polini 910 bust so easily so I took some flat steel and a rear footpeg fron a Harley Davidson motorcycle and I made my own Un-breakable footpegs....

So what they weigh a tad more.PB racing is extinct here...

Key point is theyll never break again.....:tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Well I was sure it was the bolt thread holding the pull start wheel in but it turns out it is the pull start wheel itself.
Does anyone know the difference between the red and the black wheel? The red one has more splines but can you substitute it in if I have the black one? Just wondering as having more ratcheting catches for the pawls to latch on would probably diminish the wear...
Mine currently has the black one (PN: 143.680.002) and the red one is PN: 212.105.023.121
Thanks
David

Attachments

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Well I was sure it was the bolt thread holding the pull start wheel in but it turns out it is the pull start wheel itself.
Does anyone know the difference between the red and the black wheel? The red one has more splines but can you substitute it in if I have the black one? Just wondering as having more ratcheting catches for the pawls to latch on would probably diminish the wear...
Mine currently has the black one (PN: 143.680.002) and the red one is PN: 212.105.023.121
Thanks
David
As you can see the differences are plain as day.............

The black has 4 pull grabbers and the red has 6 pull grabbers........Im pretty sure the one with less grabbers is for long pulls and the red one for short choppy pullstarts

Based on the fact that the spring loaded dogs spin around making constant contact with the pullstart grabbers while the engine is running so having more pull grabbers might wear down faster

On my Polini I took a file and sandpaper and smoothed them spring loaded arms down then polished them to reduce friction and wear...I also used to put a lil dry graphite lube or Bees Wax assembly lube on the plastic pull grabbers too to reduce friction aswell as wear..

61 - 80 of 115 Posts