Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a pocket dirt bike yesterday for $50. The guy sais its a 42cc. But the head looks really small and the pull start is smaller than my sons 49cc cag. I'm guessing it maybe a 39cc. It needs carb cleaned and new fuel lines. The guy i got it from didnt know what wrong with it.

·
French Fries N Cheese
1,123 Posts
"46cc" 40mm Cag with reduction box tranny. Nice find for 50$. take the motor off the mounts and onto a work bench and give it a compression test. anything below 100 psi is an indicator to fried piston rings or warped reeds. GL!!

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looked at the carb. The carb was all gummed up and fuel filter was clogged. So i replaced the carb and filter with a spare i have. Im litting the gasket maker sit and harden before i put fuel into it. Before i replaced the carn and filter i sprayed alittle wd40 and starter fluid in it and started up on the 2nd pull for a sec. So thats a good sign. The carb was so bad that it was froze. Never been cleaned.

·
French Fries N Cheese
1,123 Posts
Sounds like your rings and reeds are fine. Yeah people that buy these things generally dont know what they are getting into... and are too lazy to do any work on them. they end up riding it a few times till something breaks or till they are bored and let them sit.. It's in good hands now though :p. You going to be modding this thing?

save the old carb for parts, maybe it will even work after a proper dissassembly and cleaning.

·
Banned
21,780 Posts
"46cc" 40mm Cag with reduction box tranny. Nice find for 50$. take the motor off the mounts and onto a work bench and give it a compression test. anything below 100 psi is an indicator to fried piston rings or warped reeds. GL!!
These engines will operate all the way down to 65psi...a bone stock engine wont read over 100psi,,,These are lawn equipment engines....

The engine size is 46cc but the piston size is 44mm's..the stroke on the reeded engines are 30mm....

http://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator2.php

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill post better pictures of it later today. The whole engine is smaller than my sons cag. Thats why i was guessing its a 39cc.

I dont plan on doing any upgrades as of yet. Not until my kids learn how to ride better.

Thanks for the link cam2. That will come in handy.

·
Banned
21,780 Posts
Ill post better pictures of it later today. The whole engine is smaller than my sons cag. Thats why i was guessing its a 39cc.

I dont plan on doing any upgrades as of yet. Not until my kids learn how to ride better.

Thanks for the link cam2. That will come in handy.
No problem..The 38cc and 46cc have the same size bottomends........The topends are the difference..........These are 40mm cylinders.Theres a big difference........Take pics of your sons cag head on the lefthand side and post the pics..........Have fun with the PDB............

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the pocket dirt bike running today. Going to replace the fuel lines this week sometime. The fuel is leaking at the fuel line at the carb. Also repaired my spare carb. It was leaking really bad. The float wouldnt float up enough to close the needle. So i had to adjust the float arms and it fix the problem. The carb runs great. I rode it around for about 5min. It would only go about 10mph with me on it. So it will great for my kids to play in the mud with. My cag bike goes about 20mph with me on it. So its a great buy for $50. So far ive had to put $5 in it for fuel filter/line and clamps.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TY EPR.

Once i replace the fuel lines and use good clamps the fuels will fixed.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced the fuel lines today thing runs great. Leak alittle from the needle not closing all the way. I did bend the flot arms. Maybe it time for a new one for this little dirt bike. But when it running it doesnt leak and runs great.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it was for me i would do the welbro carb and headkit and fcc with ported piston. But its for my kids. My son wants the dirt and so i might do that stuff to his CAG since he likes the dirt bike more. My daughter wants a atv with a cag motor. I found 2 49cc atv with reed engines that dont run for $200 but the guy is being pain.

·
Banned
23,453 Posts
I would tell him $200 when he gets them running. Not running it's a parts bike. it could cost more to get it running than it's worth. A new one is $400 or less with a 30 to 60 day parts warranty.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In the email i said i would give him $120 since one doesnt have a motor and the other needs work. But no word from him. So i guess hes not in a hurry to sale them.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats how i got all my PB's. people dont want to fix them or dont wanna learn how to fix them.

·
Banned
21,780 Posts
In the email i said i would give him $120 since one doesnt have a motor and the other needs work. But no word from him. So i guess hes not in a hurry to sale them.
Maybe he thinks theyre worth more than your offering and hes holding out til he gets desperate enough to accept it ;-he probably thinks his non-response says it all.............I wouldnt be surprised the day you find another is when he responds back.Then you have more leverage to whittle him down lower...LOL...

How do you think I got so many cags in such a short time...?......LOL...I put out 4 emails,,,no-one responded then I went and bought 1 that had a phone # and as soon as I got home there was an email and within 24 hours later the other 4 responded and I ended up with 6 including the trophy cag!.....LOL.............The 7th was an ebay bike where the seller was local and I even got him to drop it off..That one got stolen.......

I put a cag in CL....A 19yr old kid responds tells me he wants my bike and hell pay my asking price if I still have it...I say I do...he asks where Im located hes from Jersey......I tell him my town name,,state plus zipcode so he can mapquest it..He responds back where the heck is that?...I tell him look up at the sky with a high powered telescope...Im 3rd planet left of the moon........I never heard from him again............LOL

·
French Fries N Cheese
1,123 Posts
Local classified's are a pocket bikers gold. My last motor off kijiji was brand new, 70 bucks and the guy was 3 blocks away from my place hahaha. Lots of bartering going around too, so you dont necessarily have to spend anything... Looking into a Gio F2 Cag today, up for barter.. gonna offer the guy 5 grams of scrap 10k gold, see if he goes for it.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pocket bikes in my area are alittle hard to find. But i still lived in Dallas TX its gold over there. Everything from 43cc-110cc+.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.