Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that after putting on a K&N Style Filter with Velocity Stack that the bike is much slower off the line (I raced it against a buddy's stocker). The midrange is better, as I can catch up to within 2 bike lengths, and the top end is not much difference (maybe a hair faster).

Question - Does the K&N cause bogging off the line at WOT? If I need to adjust something to take advantage of the new filter, please do tell. Like how to adjust the carb or something.

My bike is stock except for the Filter and V-Stack. TIA

Mike,
Lucky 7 swingarm Cag

·
Registered
83 Posts
Adjust your needle to the fifth position (lowest groove on the needle). This will seat the needle higher thereby increasing the fuel to balance out your mixture. To do this, you will have to take off the screw on top of your carb (the one your throttle cable is connected to) and then pull out the needle and adjust the c-clip on it. Pretty straight forward though...only slightly tricky cause it's spring loaded and small. This should do it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
DqP said:
Adjust your needle to the fifth position (lowest groove on the needle). This will seat the needle higher thereby increasing the fuel to balance out your mixture. To do this, you will have to take off the screw on top of your carb (the one your throttle cable is connected to) and then pull out the needle and adjust the c-clip on it. Pretty straight forward though...only slightly tricky cause it's spring loaded and small. This should do it.
I have one question.....if you have a stock airbox....will adjusting the needle to the 5th position be of any benefit? My bike does slighty stutter at high speed.

Thanks...PoCkEtFrEeK

·
Registered
51 Posts
PoCkEtFrEeK said:
I have one question.....if you have a stock airbox....will adjusting the needle to the 5th position be of any benefit? My bike does slighty stutter at high speed.

Thanks...PoCkEtFrEeK
Try different settings on the needle. Although all Cags are basically the same they are also a bit quirky in the way they run. Go ahead and try the 5th position and see what happens. If the bike runs worse,go to the next position and so on until you find the right spot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

I will give it a try. Also, while it is out, I hear some ppl are sharpening the needle. Does this help anything? and do I just file it? TIA.

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
You would probably be better off getting a triple tapered needle then trying to taper your own.

For the original question, you motor is drawing in more air, adjust the needle so it runs richer. This doesnt exactly mean that the needle will be on the 5 position, but it will need to be richer then the setting you had it at before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Stuff

I adjusted the needle and everything is great. The bike accellerates fast and pulls all the way with no bogging.

Glad to see this forum is back up. I'm new at this pocket bike company and no one here has time to teach me how to mess with my own bike. Glad to get support from here.

Mike

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Believe it or not, I prefer my stock retapered needle over the triple tapered needle.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Yes, I stuck my needle in a drill and used 220grit sandpaoer to retaper it followed by 600grit. It gives you smoother throttle response.

·
Registered
50 Posts
zero4 said:
Believe it or not, I prefer my stock retapered needle over the triple tapered needle.
I also like the stock needle better. When I had the taper needle, The bike stutter when I give it throttle. Switch back and the bike runs perfect.

·
Registered
83 Posts
PoCkEtFrEeK said:

Thanks...PoCkEtFrEeK
I think the idea of adjusting the needle basically balance out the fuel/air mixture created by the increase air coming in from an aftermarket filter. So if you have a stock filter, the sputtering may not be a mixture problem.

I took mine to a friend who is local ducati mechanic here who's works mainly on gopeds and scooter nowadays and he told me that these little engines dont a rev limiter. So, the sputtering at the top tyically comes from running the stock engine to its threshold limit when you have it at WOT. You will find this happening if you put mods such as pipe and carb. My Cag MX3 does that so i noticed that if i run at 95% throttle, it runs faster than taxing the engine at WOT. I think to fix it, i may need to do some engine mods next.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Schimmel03 said:
where can you find the K&N filter?
Sorry didn't see your question till today. Hope you found one but if you didnt, you can find one of those speed and truck place and give them the dimension of the velocity stack and they can order it if they dont have one in stock. You also can probably check at a goped store or k&n on line at www.knfilters.com or call them at (800) 858-3333.

·
Registered
83 Posts
DqP said:
Sorry didn't see your question till today. Hope you found one but if you didnt, you can find one of those speed and truck place and give them the dimension of the velocity stack and they can order it if they dont have one in stock. You also can probably check at a goped store or k&n on line at www.knfilters.com or call them at (800) 858-3333.
Actually, i think ADA Racing has them www.adaracing.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
About the TT needle. I put mine in yesterday, and when I started her up (only started with choke open) she smoked like a chimney. Even the little cracks that arent totally sealed in the exhaust pipe were puffin. It put so much crap in the enigne, it took about 10 minutes of running for it to stop. I had to put my original needle in, it just ran wayyy too rich otherwise. Hopefully it'll be useful once I put some major mods on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts