Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spent 4 hours today fixing my Cat-eye. I went ahead and got a rocket key, installed it and a new carb (my stock one broke), and adjusted the magneto a bit. I was having starting problems with the bike before assuming that it was the carb, but to my surprise I discovered that the ignition wire connecting to the rubber sparkplug housing was half-way out. I fixed that and my bike started up on the 2nd pull. That being all and good, I then went ahead and tuned the carb to the best of my ability and then tried taking it for a ride....then it died.

I pulled the spark plug and discovered that it was fouled very badly. I replaced it and the bike started up with no problem once again. I then was able to actually finally ride my bike (its been like 7days). It ran great for about 2 minutes and then my rear tire blew out and I had a flat. GRRR.....

I fixed the flat and rode it once more.....

After riding for about 10 mins I came in to take a break. I went back out and now the bike wont start....for some reason it keeps fouling plugs.

Im pretty sure that im not "forcing" a ton of fuel into the combustion chamber and im pretty sure that my mix in my gas tank is accurate.

Could heat cause plugs to foul? maybe I have another problem that I dont know about.....any suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plug is gapped properly and I am running 32:1. I think I discovered my culprit though....it turns out the spark plug housing that connects to the ignition wire is really cheasy and doesnt have a firm postive connection. I am going to go down to my local dirt bike shop and pick up a new "screw-in" style housing, which I think will promote a more positive connection between the ignition and the spark plug which will equal more spark, more power to start it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a thought, but give it a try. It could be that the plug you're using is one heat range too cold. Try a plug that's a heat range hotter to see if it will help burn off the excess crud that's fouling your plugs. Also, try switching to a synthetic (high quality one) oil that's easier to burn versus petroleum based oils which don't burn off as easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts