Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i was just thinking why the 1.4 springs are better and i dont get why they are better. there tighter so they engage later in the rpms, but why is that good? i would think that that would mean it is slower of acceleration because theres less rpm's getting to the wheel? i asked another member which had them and he said more torque? guys i need some help..straighten me out here. thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
ok, the higher you rev the engine the more power you got, the clutch springs engage later so youve built up more power and are hgiher in the rev range when they start to grab. the stock springs grab earlier so you arent revving as high and arent very high up in the power curve so its slower when its taking off.

·
Registered
474 Posts
no, not the same time, they do the sakme job as the old stock springs but since they are stiffer it takes more RPMs for the centifugal force to get the shoes out to grab the clutch bell. they will most likely engage a little bit later becauyse the engine has to rev higher from idle before they grab, but since they are not grabbing at the clutch bell at all, the engine should rev pretty quickly from where they used to engage to the new engagement RPM so it shouldnt be too noticable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
prrule said:
the big question. are 1.4 springs worth it;)
That depends on what kind of rider you are and what mods you currently have on the bike. Also, it's personal taste as well... ;)

The higher engagement will usually mean slower starts, since the clutch isn't fully engaged. But once it does (and it's only a few more seconds anyways), then you'll really feel why they recommend it. As the other guy is still struggling to get up to speed with the clutch fully engaged and building up speed, you'll slingshot past them as your motor is already in it's sweet spot.

But that's just from my experience anyways.

·
Registered
474 Posts
its not really adding power at all, your mnidrange wont pull harder than the other guy sif your both stock, your clutch will just grab where the engine is more powerful than his will grab at so you should pull ahead at the beginning. I have mine coming in the mail os Im gona giv em a try, of course its worth the 7.50 to try them I think.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Also, the trick is keeping the rpms up while going thru a turn so the power is there (clutch engaged) to pull out. Most people chop the throttle to reduce corner speed, then there is that brief moment of getting the rpms back up to engage the clutch to pull you outta of the turn (as prev mentioned). It definately takes some getting used to.

I rode a DM with high rpm clutch springs, so I'll tell ya, it will take some getting used to....compared to my stock ZH-1 Cag :p

But then again, 1.4 prolly won't be that much of a difference.....which I haven't experienced yet.....hehehe

·
Registered
459 Posts
Have noticed zero improvement since switchin' to the stiffer clutch springs... then again have only modified the exhuast, filter and added a rocket key...

·
Registered
783 Posts
If you will race your Cag 80% of the time - I would recommend getting hard racing springs but if you will just hangout with your buds and just chill and ride around parking lot - stick to the stock springs - you wont burn your clutch pads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Which springs are you using? What bike are the originaly from?
I got 1.4 spring for a blata 2.5 for my cag. The springs are similar lenth to but the blata springs are wider than the cag one's. I can get them on but at the widest point they are touching the side off the clutch shoe. Is this ok or do I have the wrong springs?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
dang, I knew I didn't want to get the aftermarket springs, but I figured I'ld give em a try for $7. I ordered the 1.4 but got the 1.5s in the mail so, oh well. All the mods I have at the moment are the ip2 pipe, reed, adjustable carb and polished air intake(w/filter)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I got the 1.4's. While they apperared to be of a thicker gauge I didn't notice a performance difference at all. The butt dyno sez they engauge about the same RPM as stock. Of course it depends on weight, riding style, etc. etc. Guess it was worth the try. Next I'll try the 1.5's

·
Registered
841 Posts
ayeWTFisthat said:
what springs would you guys recommed fro this set up:
Dual stage reeds
Adjain jet
2 torque plates
7 tooth pinion
tt needle
No air filter
tbh, the clutch springs are irrelivent to your mods.

The springs are designed to engage sooner (soft) or later (heavier) when applying throttle. If you are racing (road coarse) and if you consider yourself competative, you want the clutch to engage at that moment when exiting the tightest turn. So you set your clutch up for optimal performance for that moment.

If you use heavier springs, then you suffer a moment of lost power of trying to get your rpm's up to engage to pull you or exiting out of the turn.
If you have softer springs, the clutch engages sooner so you have that power at that moment when you need it.

On a wide open track (mostly full throttle), then it doesn't matter which springs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts