Pocketbike Forum banner

Large brushless model motors, eg AXI

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Phil_G 
#1 ·
Sorry for the cross-post, just realised I'm more likely to get a response here...
I've been pondering building an electric racing minimoto for a while, but ultimately I want it to compete with Polinis in our standard 4.2hp aircooled class here in Blighty.
My hopes are that the flat torque curve of a 2hp electric will give a good overall performance match to the peaky response of the standard polini 40cc 2-stroke petrol engine.
Anyway, the Eteks seem expensive, and difficult to obtain over here, so I've been borrowing ideas from my other hobby, R/C electric model planes.
How about an Axi 5330, probably the 18-wind, which is a 36-volt, 60-amp brushless outrunner. They also do up to 24-wind, which might be better, ie more torque, lower rpm.
For economy I'd probably be using 3x12v lead-acids as I have a few spare (7a/h) and a 100 -amp model plane speed controller. How does this sound?
here's the Axi catalogue: http://www.modelmotors.cz/downloads/...006-lowres.pdf , the 5330 is towards the bottom. These motors are readily available from many aeromodelling shops, and cost about 120GBP.
Any suggestions are welcome
Many thanks
Phil

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
dummy, that is a airplain motor, you will fry it under load, not worth it

plus, this is a 1200-2000 dollor investment!
that is crazy, when a 2.7Kw motor would kill it at price time and on actual usable power output:
2.7Kw motor 450$us
400Amp controler 200-300$us
+_________________________
650-750$ us total

way cheaper and it is beafy!

#4 ·
quantum_mcfly said:
dummy, that is a airplain motor
Thanks for the warm welcome to your forum, I'm sorry but on English sites we dont normally insult someone in the first word of communication.
As I said in my post, my familiarity with this type of motor comes from my other hobby, R/C aeroplanes. I also said it as readily avaiable from aeromodelling shops. So I'm well aware its used in model aircraft.

quantum_mcfly said:
plus, this is a 1200-2000 dollor investment!
I was asking about a motor that costs 120 quid. A 100A controller can be bought for another 20. Batteries I already have. 1200 ??? How?

Is there anyone friendly & helpful on here or is everyone like this?

Phil

#7 ·
back on topic, um so what would you want such a fancy motor for that is up there in the small monster motors next to a ETech or a what ever, keep it simple
it is not a thing about power it is a thing about what you need and can USE.

what da plunk!
have a beer and get drunk!

#11 ·
a brushless motor will work well in a hub set up, but a brushless motor gets VERY Expensive when you need some performance...but if you want to putt-around all day at a slow speed with little draw from the cells then a brushless motor will work fine, but, Isnt this a Racer forum, not an EV forum

ex** told me to come her couse he said it was were speed was found, but i do not find speed any were i read about brushless set ups that cost under $2,000 total pacage!

respect is what respectable is
just plain silly is what stupid is
silly is what that question was
stupid is what that question was read

#12 · (Edited)
Model Aircraft motors would work great on a pocket bike. I've converted a slow electric scooter with a model aircraft brushless motor and it now tops out around 40mph with excellent acceleration. I would have a few words of advice though. 100A is not enough for the controller. I blew up an 85A and a 110A CastleCreations HV controller on my Scooter. I'm now using a Jeti Spin 200 and it gets to around 75C without any forced air cooling. With a fan mounted to it, I doubt it would get much over ambient with a similar setup to mine. Next, the motor will need LOTS of forced air cooling. I would mount a high flow computer fan right at the back of the motor. Also, try to mount the motor to something that acts as a good heatsink (solid aluminum adapter plate). I would also recommend going with a 5345 instead of the 5330. Get as big a motor as you can afford. The largest RC motors are still only 5lb and that is very light.

My stuff starts on post 1089
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566256&page=73

#13 ·
Wow thats a brilliant thread, more info on there than on PBP!!!
I've recently seen the AXI 5345, thats now my favourite, but I'm still looking at cells. Whatever the technology, you're talking 6-800 GBP for the batteries, which is a huge investment. I had looked at A123's but was warned off them by an 'expert' (whose main product is LiPos ;-) ) and by the price over here in the UK. I tried A123 themselves, and they confirmed that DeWalts are the only real option. Along the way (this has been a long story!) I also made friends with the guy from Lynch motors, who allegedly had his patent for the disc motor ripped off by Briggs & Stratton for the eTek! His lad was also building a performance ebike, I wonder how he got on.
What duration do you get from the 15s3p pack in the scoot ?
Cheers
Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.