Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Since you guys are into pocket bikes, I suppose you are probably just as up to date with lawn mower engines, maybe you can help!

I have a Craftsman Eager 1, 20" Cut 4HP Model Number: 917.383241, that I got off Craigslist as a project and I am having some trouble with the carburetor.

After taking it out today to give it a nice cleaning, it was literally the most dirty carburetor I have ever seen in my life. Anyways I got it cleaned out and I literally had to pry the float needle out with all my strength.. it was that bad.

So while I was taking a look at the float bowl nut(the bolt that is attached to the underside of the carburetor), I noticed there is no holes in it. Have you guys ever heard of this.. am I not looking hard enough? I don't want to put it back together until I am positive there is no hole in it. I always thought this bolt acted as the main jet. There is a jet in the tube around the main jet on the carburetor body, is it possible that is the only jet?

Also if you know what type of carburetor this is, where can I find a rebuild kit for it?

ADDITIONAL INFO: Model: 917.383241
Serial: 070193M 048624
Craftsman II Eager-1 4.0HP 20" Cut 3one convertible.

Here is a photo of the float bowl nut..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah I forgot to mention it was a four stroker.

Yeah when I took a part the carb ...(pried it a part)... It twas the most gum I had ever seen. A lot of water has mixed with gas and dried up is what I suppose.

Either way, I need to figure out what type of rebuild kit to buy, because I need a new float and needle, hinge, and gaskets. Also I want to know if there is a jet in the bolt because if there is and I don't clean it out I don't think there is a likely chance I am ever going to see this thing run longer than 30 seconds. ;)

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Goonies NEVER Say Die! <---The best movie on earth! <---yes I am "That" old!

If it has an (EGR) Exhaust Gas Re-circulation valve it may be stuck in the full open position!

It is sometimes "Solenoid" controlled!

We'll get her going!

;):thumbsup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is possible but I don't think it has an EGR valve, because if it was solenoid controlled, wouldn't it need a battery?

Also I am pretty sure it is the carburetor because I got it to fire by putting gas in the spark plug hole, and replaces the spark plug. Then when I opened the carburetor I was horrified. :p

Have you ever seen a bolt without a jet, and there is only a jet in the tube surrounding the main jet tube?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha well it still seems strange to me.

There is already an actual main jet tube as I mentioned, but I am pretty sure there is supposed to be a hole in most of the bolts in the bottom of the carb to serve for a place for the fuel to go in. But maybe this is different its worth a shot!

I guess I will go ahead and order a carburetor repair kit, and see if I can get this baby to run! :D

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Haha well it still seems strange to me.

There is already an actual main jet tube as I mentioned, but I am pretty sure there is supposed to be a hole in most of the bolts in the bottom of the carb to serve for a place for the fuel to go in. But maybe this is different its worth a shot!

I guess I will go ahead and order a carburetor repair kit, and see if I can get this baby to run! :D

The tube is the emulsion tube 4-t style I bet! Trevor would say "Stick a 2-t tube in there" ahahah

It's O.K. You are catching on really fast!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hahaha :D I understood that part, I mean't what does the 4-t stand for? Does that just mean there is 4 holes in the tube?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
hahaha :D I understood that part, I mean't what does the 4-t stand for? Does that just mean there is 4 holes in the tube?
I am sorry, I took 2 "extra" minutes to slow down, just for you!

2-t = cool guy talk for a 2-stroke (Oil Mixed in with the gas / Fuel mix)
4-t = cooler guy talk (4-strokes are more betterrrr) for 4-stroke gas, with a separate oiling system, and a timed ignition, intake port / ports and exhaust port / ports.

Clean up on Isle 12!

:p:thumbsup:

The "atomizer tubes" mix in large amounts of "Air" with the jet metered fuel (main jet) the main jet will usually screw right into the "atomizer" 2-t and 4-t haha :D

ps

Sorry, I was Wrong, that "bolt" is a bolt! I dont know where the heck the jet has gone!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahaha :thumbsup: I knew all that as well, except the part that 2-t was slang for 2 strokes and 4-t was slang for 4 strokes.

Thanks for the heads up! :D

Also the tube surrounding the emulsion tube, which is what I was referring to, has a jet in it about a 1/2" away from the bottom. So that probably acts as a fuel pick up, and then the bolt holds the fuel in place to allow for a stronger vacuum effect, and then the emulsion tube holes, provide air. Does that seem logical?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I found a thing that looks like a decently big hole, but it literally looks like straight brass. I don't understand how if it was a real jet it would look like that. Is there a better way to open up the jet than a pad and carb cleaner.
I don't want to poke at the hole with something sharp just incase I break through and its not a jet.

Heres a picture of the "possible" jet..
http://i53.tinypic.com/34nrzw0.jpg

Yes bad quality my camera sucks haha.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Not to ruin the joke, :p but what is a 4-t emulsion tube?
My computer crashed a while ago, so I wasn't able to answer this in my usual smartass way ... I was going to post that perhaps it's a mythical part, like the Johnson rod, the muffler bearing, and blinker fluid - you know, all the stuff you would need your solar-powered flashlight to find .... At a previous job, we actually sent one of the new guys out searching for a Fallopian tube ....

(FYI: No, the Fallopian tube is NOT something you'd find in a TV set or electronics store .... it's part of the female reproductive system ... but he didn't know that, either :p)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah its possible I am looking as hard as can imagining things that don't need to be there, I am just **** confused, either way I will spray some more carb cleaner in there, and then when I get all of it rebuilt I will see if it fires up, and runs.. if it does.. as the saying goes,"If it works, don't fix it."

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Hmmm ...... That's okay, Nick, I got it .... Just make sure you don't open any UPS packages from Arizona anytime soon, okay? >:D

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Cant you find a diagram of that carb?? Or just take that carb to a small engine repair shop to get your rebuild kit and have them tell you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cant you find a diagram of that carb?? Or just take that carb to a small engine repair shop to get your rebuild kit and have them tell you.

To be honest with you StrayDawg, I have been searching as much as possible for a diagram or any type of identification of the carb. Every other Tecumseh Carburetor I have seen is not the same as mine. This must be one of those models made once, and then never made again.

Yes I could take it to a repair shop, but I noticed all the repair kits are the same pretty much, its just the main jet i am worried about now, because I can't find a jet in it, and IF its supposed to have one, then I doubt this thing is going to run.

Also it doesn't have a primer bulb or manual choke, so getting this thing to start is not going to be pleasing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts