Pocketbike Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok, latest update. Not sure what's going on with willyy's thread but I think the last two posts got in the wrong thread some how. But anyway. I put the new voltage reg in tried hooking it the way that the internets told me but that is wrong too. It keeps sending voltage to the starter. So for now I'm giving up. I unhooked the starter and am just running the lights on the battery. I'll have to recharge it from time to time but no biggie, they are just for fun anyway. On a good note the starter does work!! May have to come back to this when other projects slow down. Oh, I also got a horn so now I can beep at my son when he blows by me on his Cag!!

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Sounds like your starter button is on all the time, ( shorted ) or your starter solenoid is broken and feeding power all the time.
It has a heavy spring and is an electro magnet, when you push the starter button the big magnet compresses the spring till it make the connection to turn the starter motor. I would take the hot wire to the starter off, get a voltmeter and with the power on test the starter button, if its hot without pushing it, that's probably your problem. If the starter button is good disconnect it. Put the starter wire back on & test the hot side, wire to the starter, should not be any current going to the starter motor, or bad solenoid. Even a new solenoid could be bad.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The starter button is currently being used as the kill switch for the engine. I don't have a solenoid. I wasn't planning on using the starter originally. I could put a solenoid on it and make the starter work but I would have to find a new kill switch. I'll just run off the battery, Just my lights and horn anyway not important, just cool looking, and maybe try the recharge system and maybe the starter later.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Sounds good, I took the electric start & generator off my engine and made a pull start only, did you know the big heavy magnets rob power from the 3 hp engine and the whole unit is just a lot of extra weight, that slows you down. If you want lights, buy LED, there light and bright and use a lot less power than OEM lights. You can get a headlight for 10 or $12 and I got blinker sets for $6 a set but you need a $3 led blinker unit, tail lights also cheap. Online look at AliExpress, under motorcycle parts, they have tons of cheap stuff from China.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Cat Eye pocket bike. This bike originally came with lights, horn, and electric start. All but the controls and starter are gone from my bike. I've looked up some of the parts but my question is. did this bike get a charge from the engine to recharge the battery like a regular motorcycle does or do you have to recharge the battery with an external charger? I've looked at some wiring diagrams that I've found online but I haven't really been able to determine. I'm thinking of putting some lights back on it and just need to know how this thing worked originally.

Thanks for any help you can give.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts