Pocketbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded)
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So according to the calculator provided if I plug in 800w for the motor and 48v the ampres is just over 16, at 36v it's 22.2222 so do you think the 48v rated for 15 could suffice with just over 1 amp difference?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nevermind I just remembered the other things you mentioned that the calculator doesn't factor in... fml. Looks like a different pack is in order.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
564 Posts
I don't know, bigger is always better but I personally used smaller than I should and always worked out. I have an electric pocket bike with hoverboard batteries that I just recently put in, ran two packs in parallel to get 8.8 ah. It's a 500 w 24 volt with a 36 volt 1000 watt controller. Runs totally fine wide open throttle or not, I even raced that mx500 that has the 10 amp power pack and he pulled Full Throttle and didn't have problem and that was after 20 minutes of use.
However his pack is 20 amp continuous. Find a 30 amp pack with the 20 amp continuous and you'll be all right.
I personally don't mind spending a little bit now and having it die way before an expensive pack. I honestly don't want to take the time to build one. 3 to $500 plus you got to get a charger. Not my cup of tea right now.
Maybe look at those manufacturers like mototec or Venom, they use lithium and all of their vehicles, maybe you could just grab one of theirs. I personally never checked into those. but it is a thought.
To each their own.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good point... I'll have to do some digging on this whole battery crap as electronics aren't really my strong point... but give me a motor and I'll transplant it into whatever you want and MacGyver that thing into a beast with no effort! I was a mechanic, performance technician and custom fabricator for 15 years and the only electric car on the scene was the prius back then lol, so I don't have a whole lot of know how on this type of stuff. I really do appreciate all the insight and shared experiences fellas, its a big help!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not a problem. I am trying to give you a real-world experiences from my own eyes. What I have used what have been working without failure, yet. Sometimes you never know, one bike could be exactly the same as another and one who doesn't ever run right and the other one does.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just so you know, I'm building one of those Honda electric pocket bikes, they're yellow, not really Honda but that's what everybody calls them. It was a 36 volt 400w, I'm putting in a 36 volt 800 watt motor with a 48v 1000w controller oh, and I was aiming at a 48 volt 20 amp hour battery but I've been trying to find 40 amp Max with at least 25 amp continuous. It's purely a guess, 30 continuous would be better but Like mr. Kitty said, that's the point where I probably have to make my own pack but I'm going to try the best one I can find. Cuz I don't honestly plan on keeping it. Wanted to test it out have fun for a few weeks and sell it. And I definitely don't want to sell a battery pack that I build. That is for me and me only. 😂

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Looks legit and have some really good reviews. Definitely might be the right choice
That's kinda what I'm thinking... and it's not too badly priced in comparison to similar products!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Alright so already my 3 12v 18ah batteries are quickly losing their longevity of run time sooooo I'm looking into overvolting the system with this...

My current set up is the mx500, speed limiter bypass in the stock speed controller and an 800w motor. One of the things I've noticed is this particular pack has 30A discharge current, which if im not mistaken is around the same range of discharge current of the 36v set up i currently run and seems compatible with the rating of my stock speed controller... am i right? If i am that means what for performance and reliability since ill still be overvolting the system with 48v... should I be looking for a higher discharge rate or is 30A right where I need to be without upgrading speed controllers/motor?

Another question I have is ride time... I've never used lithium ion batteries in anything rideable and have no idea how long a 20ah 48v pack would go for between charges. While I'm aware rider weight and conditions play a huge factor I'm curious... would 20ah be enough for say... 10 mile range on flat asphalt with my 185lbs on it riding full throttle with minimal stop and go? I'm really looking for range and reliability over anything else as it's currently my only means of transportation... but I only have like 300 bucks to sink into a battery replacement at this time and money will be tight as I've just had another baby.

Any info, insight and advice would be awesome here
. Put you a lil 80 or 100 cc china screamer on.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's the way to do it, if you can slowly collect them and find them at good prices you could save yourself quite a lot of money. For us electric is the way to go around our area. The police leave you alone for the most part. The gasoline bikes are great, I'm building one now but hit and miss if we get bothered. Minibikes a big no no.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's kinda what I'm thinking... and it's not too badly priced in comparison to similar products!
I will have to save some coin and get that one. Because once I'm done with this I literally just picked up a syx moto mini quad. It has no battery and some broken parts. I figure it is 36 volt 800 watt motor I will run 48 volts to it. So maybe I will use that pack in this one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's the way to do it, if you can slowly collect them and find them at good prices you could save yourself quite a lot of money. For us electric is the way to go around our area. The police leave you alone for the most part. The gasoline bikes are great, I'm building one now but hit and miss if we get bothered. Minibikes a big no no.
Where I live right beside Myrtle Beach in Surfside Beach they have more cops than anywhere else and they don't play around. But I don't act like an idiot either! I always kill it before I see or when I see someone. I'm actually in the process right now of building a front hub 1000 w idth and 80cc back motor I really want to do it on a fat tire 26x4-in! But the hubs are so expensive so I will work with what I got right now

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm really big into the barter system. So I'm actually hanging 15 sheets of drywall on a guy ceiling for a brand new 1,000 w electric. And he has two hubs with it also that he's going to let me have and a bunch of spare parts and controls that they sent him. I'm super excited about getting that done.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I will have to save some coin and get that one. Because once I'm done with this I literally just picked up a syx moto mini quad. It has no battery and some broken parts. I figure it is 36 volt 800 watt motor I will run 48 volts to it. So maybe I will use that pack in this one.
I just love the fat tires. I don't even mind if they're 20 in

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Thanks to bird and lime rideshare it has become legal to ride electrics in a lot of citys the rules and laws vary from city to city so make sure to check with your local police department before riding

I know in Spokane WA it's 16+ years old 18mph max helmets required you must obey all traffic laws all fines and tickets go against your driver's license no sidewalk ridding!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks to bird and lime rideshare it has become legal to ride electrics in a lot of citys the rules and laws vary from city to city so make sure to check with your local police department before riding

I know in Spokane WA it's 16+ years old 18mph max helmets required you must obey all traffic laws all fines and tickets go against your driver's license no sidewalk ridding!
I actually don't know the electric law in South carolina. I know here in Myrtle Beach we don't have any helmet laws I've had quite a few cops stop me delay at night while I'm on my motorized one hasn't said anything but it hasn't been running either. They pull me over in the Parks when everybody is gone at like 2:00 and 3:00 in the morning. So I know all the cops now actually work on a few of their pools LOL. I know on the beach you're not allowed to have motorized. But electric is fine

·
Registered
133 Posts
I actually don't know the electric law in South carolina. I know here in Myrtle Beach we don't have any helmet laws I've had quite a few cops stop me delay at night while I'm on my motorized one hasn't said anything but it hasn't been running either. They pull me over in the Parks when everybody is gone at like 2:00 and 3:00 in the morning. So I know all the cops now actually work on a few of their pools LOL. I know on the beach you're not allowed to have motorized. But electric is fine
I do know anything that has a motor on it and on the roads you're supposed to have a scooter license and a moped tag on it. Just like any vessel in the water that has any type of motor is supposed to be registered and numbered.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Yes most cities are adopting laws and making offenses ticketable to generate revenue especially where rideshare machines are available you pretty much know that they are going to be legal but the rideshare machines are locked out so they don't violate the speed laws so you basically have to check with local law enforcement on all of the details get a handlebar mount for your phone and run speed apps like Digi hud.

Washington is helmets required Idaho helmets are not required 😳

When rideables were outlawed completely they were impounding people would go to court and end up paying nothing costing cities money...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts