Pocketbike Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, I have uberscoot 2x50cc and I ported it, my question is I'm getting jetpro exhaust and want to know what loctite will work for bolts? thanks all

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you want to use loctite, stick with medium, I believe its blue. You want to be able to get it off. You could probably even use green I believe is they low one and be better off than nothing. I personally only use locking washers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of locking washers as I can only put on bolt not enough space for a nut

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's a piston port engine right. blue is good, Permatex anti seize compound in a tube or its clone. Its an alum paste you put a little on the bolt threads and back into the alum threads, it also acts as a thread sealer too, and has great heat transfer also.
Steel and alum threads don't mix and once there is rust, it will take an act of God to get it off. When I get a new bike, first thing I do is take one bolt at a time, put the paste on the threads and put it back, even the axle nuts, you will be happy later down the road.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so you use anti seize instead of loctite? wow, and it doesn't loosen from heat

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is just an idea, I heard others have done that. Like Atv says try a 1/4" SS split washer, I use them on all my exhausts.
never had one come loose yet, but there is always a first time, lol. Still do all your bolt threads with anti.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I also use copper or ceramic paste on the exhaust bolts or studs and split washer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, that will work also, many different products out there. Don't know why but some of the piston port exhaust threads do that when the exhaust has been removed to many times, or worn threads, over torqued threads too. You could use JB Weld the bolts in place of......... some people have JB welded their cylds to the cases, to take them off heat them up with a torch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When the threads are damaged I use helicoil inserts to repair them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Helicoil is an option, not the best option. It was the worst thing to ever be invented to put on a car or truck. They might be okay on a tiny little two stroke. Had many experiences were those things shattering on a vehicle. It was a temporary fix until you did the correct repair, which was replace a cylinder head or intake.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's prob what I gotta do is replace the top end because I was having problems with my muffler staying bolted on (muffler was too small and made for bicycle motor) I didn't know until someone on this forum told me and I overtighted 1 of the 2 exhaust bolts and stripped some threads off so I drilled and tapped 1 size bigger and got the right exhaust but I don't think I waited 24 hours for red loctite to cure and exhaust fell off, I searched and couldn't find it so that's where I am now, 1 year later and finally getting jetpro exhaust made for my scooter but going to get lock washers and safety wire bolts and blue loctite because I will not lose this exhaust, I also cannot put nuts on the bolts because not enough room.... sorry for long post and thanks for all the help

·
Registered
272 Posts
I see, I understand. Yeah if doing what you're going to do doesn't work then, new cylinder head it is. Luckily they are not too expensive. I always try to keep one extra on hand. Good luck to you I hope it works

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, I'll keep posted. Can't f*ckin wait, its sitting in my garage.....teasing me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Haha, I definitely know the feeling. I have a couple here but it has been cold and snowy, snow is finally gone but it's still been rainy and still cold.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it were me I would buy a new cyld, less than $20, with piston kit under $30, then you have a top end rebuild. Now if it was my Polini in which a cyld cost $400 a heli coil is great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.