Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was thinking of doing a cheap or budget build, different than what I've seen here recently. Anybody interested in something that would cost very little and hopefully the results would be very good? Before I go and buy an engine which are roughly $45 now but could go up considering summer's coming, I would do it. Things that I have learned from reading this forum for years. Let me know and I won't tell you what I'm going to do yet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, at least one response.
Anyway, I ordered the engine. 2 or 3 more days until delivery.
THEN I will start the build. It is still cold here but I should be able to break it in after I am done, maybe a few weeks. Breaking in will take me at least a week, need to idle for heat cycles and then do at least two gas tank full of cruising quarter to 3/4 throttle runs.
Most of my modifications will be labor intensive. Only a few parts for more cost. I actually only wanted to do a spark plug but I might do a race coil as well. Other than that no other additional parts. SOOOON

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine was slightly delayed, looking like Saturday, if not hopefully Monday. Stay tuned!!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
If its coming from China, good luck on delivery date. Over 5 weeks and still nothing, the problem cargo ships are sitting around for days to be unloaded. I was told 2 to 4 weeks, lol. Got a lot of tactical gears coming, got my Glock 40 cal semi auto, Sweet. Battle axe, knifes, tactical bag, red and green dot laser sight, throwing knife and more, getting ready for the final battle, lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good job, you can taper bore the front half way thru the choke ring the choke plate covers, that will make the hole even bigger. A little wider taper up front would be good too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I only used a tapered drill bit for now. I can touch it up with my rotary tool. Literally took me 5 minutes to do what I did. It was practice so I can jam it into the new one. LOL should be here soon.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news, the new engine came in. Time to start modifying. I will get on it tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I'm going to do as I go along. With a final list of what was done in the end. But that won't be the end because I will be doing more to the engine after it's broken in.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I started to tear down. I was going to do a base gasket delete to raise compression. However I actually had to add a second gasket so now I have the squish around 0.047"-0.048". Crazy how this one came in. Squish with no gaskets was 0.021".
Per normal the gaskets need to be matched to the ports. But I'm going to do a little bit more to this engine still.
I will continue teardown and getting more parts ready for modification.
I got lucky and they pull start comes with a metal COG. Not all do. Not bad for $45 shipped for a 40mm engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I never seen a cag starter like that before. The squish is unreal. With 2 gaskets I would think about using copper if you can find them. Sand down any rough edges on that carb, looking good.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I will put in a little bit more work today because I probably won't over the weekend. I will be taper boring the new carburetor and rejetting. That will be the next step. The only part I plan on buying is a new spark plug for this part of the build.
I am going to try maybe using an iridium plug. Now I know they don't burn as hot as a copper plug but that was what the build that I'm mimicking used. Then in the end I guess every engines different so I might just use NGK copper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Get a 14mm Diamond Fire E3-12 plug, I have one for a special alum engine, that me and a good friend in NY help me finish. Do you have them bigger orange coils?? I made a .250" coppr tube spacer for a long plug like a C1 put it on the plug threads, and put it in the head. It goes farther into the combustion chamber taking up more space. A lot of space left with the short plug.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My question is does the mag coil make enough energy to fire the plug w/ 3 prongs, NHRA uses them but they have a battery to power it. Well, were going to find out soon, lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
The best plug to run is the tried and true genuine NGK get them from the auto parts store not from Amazon or ebay where you have a high risk of getting knock-off spark plugs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha, funny thing, I found out that the ngk spark plugs are much much much cheaper at the auto parts store. I do have a red coil that I thought to throw on here but I'm not sure if I'll do that for stage 1 or maybe stage 2 and the E3 spark plug. I appreciate everybody's feedback. I guess a good experiment it would be to try. I have not read any threads yet or people use the E3 spark plug

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Chinese have 3 prongs plugs in 10 &14mm. I have a few. How can you say the E3-12 plug is not good when you haven't tried one. John Force of the NHRA loves them. NGK is not the only good plug.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts