Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I start my mini bike it just starts going by itself and the throttle isn’t working but the cable isn’t broken and I just can’t figure it out can someone help me

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum, so what kind of mini bike, what kind of engine? Do you have any pictures? So you're saying that the clutch engages like it wants to start to take off, but the throttle does not work?

With that said it's possible carburetor or the cable or throttle handle itself but I would start taking it apart and post some pictures of stuff. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
It sounds like you're governor spring is broken if you can please take some pictures down by where the throttle cable hooks up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and welcome to the Forum, so what kind of mini bike, what kind of engine? Do you have any pictures? So you're saying that the clutch engages like it wants to start to take off, but the throttle does not work?

With that said it's possible carburetor or the cable or throttle handle itself but I would start taking it apart and post some pictures of stuff. Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like you're governor spring is broken if you can please take some pictures down by where the throttle cable hooks up.
Sorry it took so long i had a friend come over and he couldn't figure out what the problem was than another one of my friends says he knows what the problem is but now he keeps stalling to pick it up to fix it

·
Registered
272 Posts
Okay mini bike. Those clutches need to be oiled. I would check on YouTube of how to do it, it could be the clutch or the idle is too high and that engages the clutch. Judging by the pictures your throttle connection on the engine looks okay. And I would Pull A Part the handle throttle and see if it came apart up there. If it's okay up there , maybe the cable is binding or we're hooks up on the engine maybe the bolts holding the levers down are too tight. I've had all of those problems on mini bikes over the years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so my friend found out it’s the clutch and he said it would be easier if I just would it cuz I would have to put 300 dollars into it so I’m just gonna sell it and get a quad thanks for your help

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ok so my friend found out it’s the clutch and he said it would be easier if I just would it cuz I would have to put 300 dollars into it so I’m just gonna sell it and get a quad thanks for your help
A clutch on those is about $40 online. Pretty easy to replace. Unless I miss something that there's other damage. Worst-case just buy a predator engine for $100 from Harbor Freight

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A clutch on those is about $40 online. Pretty easy to replace. Unless I miss something that there's other damage. Worst-case just buy a predator engine for $100 from Harbor Freight
Ok I’ll keep that in mind but my friend said that it needs new bearings but I’m probably not gonna sell it cuz riding mini bikes is like the only thing I did with my dad before he died

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh okay, yeah I missed the bearing part. Not three hundred bucks but not cheap either. Put that motor on the side for now and by Harbor Freight 6.5 horse predator. After everything and you use a coupon you'll probably buy it for $120 out the door. It may need a clutch just keep that in mind I don't remember if they come with them knew. Check Amazon or Ebay and you can get another clutch.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is a 4 stoke engine?? Some of them engines have a Cag 3 arm clutch, if one of the spring breaks that arm will ride on the clutch bell and when you start it, it will move forward. Gets a set of HP clutch springs, cause it will allow more rpms before take off and more hp to start off.

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
You can get a new mini bike clutch off of Amazon for $20 to $30 depending upon which number chain you have it's best to replace them after they get worn out they go off balance and start shaking really bad

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can get a new mini bike clutch off of Amazon for $20 to $30 depending upon which number chain you have it's best to replace them after they get worn out they go off balance and start shaking really bad
He said earlier his engine bearings were bad.
He needs a motor or replacement parts.
You need to oil clutches every couple hours of ridetime.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok quick question if the chain was to tight would it shake i dont think it would but just wanna ask any way

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
They shake when the clutch goes bad the clutch will get off balance having the chain to tight makes the clutch fail faster

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes you can't have a tight chain. A good rule of thumb is a half inch wiggle. Some bikes need more some need less. It's always good to check with the manufacturer

1 - 20 of 42 Posts