Pocketbike Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
StreetFighter
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on in a while, but I found a project. I'm picking up one of those apc harley mini choppers for $50 bucks, but I dont like the weedwhacker motor they have. So I was planning on putting a bigger engine in it, like an old or small dirt bike motor or maybe a b&s motor. Send some suggestions of what engine I should use.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Just as long as you dump the goofy plastic jugs on top of the fake engine ....

You may be able to swap in a 3.5hp-6.5hp Honda clone engine. You'd need to find a clutch and a chain to fit it, though.

Hey, btw, I finally got around to building that little pb I had been talking about - it's the second link in my signature.

·
StreetFighter
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I saw it, it looks good man. I was thinking would a small or older style dirt bike engine fit with little modification?

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
It's possible ... If you have one available, or even just the case for one, maybe give it a shot.

·
StreetFighter
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spy, I think I'm going to go with a B&S, Tecumseh or honda engine 6hp+ hopefully. The dirt bike engine would be too hard to locate it and making the mounts and welding them would be too hard, then I probably would have to make a shifter linkage to the footpegs, its just too much work, so I'm going with a B&S or something.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
The B&S or Honda clone 6.5's are fairly easy to get. A lot of old upright lawnmowers used those engines - so did snowblowers, log splitters, go-karts, roto-tillers, and so on ... pretty reliable engines. Harbor Freight usually has them for about $120-ish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just as long as you dump the goofy plastic jugs on top of the fake engine ....

You may be able to swap in a 3.5hp-6.5hp Honda clone engine. You'd need to find a clutch and a chain to fit it, though.

Hey, btw, I finally got around to building that little pb I had been talking about - it's the second link in my signature.
Need a 35 chain rear sprocket for one

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.