Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i purchase a beatup mini moto for $50, i replace the 18v battery with 3 - 6v batteries and replace the ignition (lost the key) and everything worked fine.

Then i got ambitious and tried to overvolt it to 24v, i added another 6v battery and changed the throttle to a twist instead of the thumb.

It worked great, but after a couple of days in notice it wouldn't last very long - maybe a couple of mins then it's as if the batteries are dead and it's not charging.

I thought maybe i cooked the controller or motor (even though several people on this forum have said it can handle it) so i replaced BOTH

I bought a 24v controller and 24volt motor for it...but the problem still remains.

the batteries have a great charger 24.4 volts the controller it outputting the correct volts when the throttle is twisted...im lost...

Need some guidance here, anyone?

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
More then likely the batteries got cooked from pulling to many amps you will need to figure out how many milliamp hours you're putting into the batterys before the voltage comes up to full use a premium charger.

Rember one bad cell spoils the whole bunch

Also remember if going from parallel series are serious to parallel it's going to affect the capacity you either get the voltage or you get the stacked capacity but not both

Remember never mix voltages types or different aged batteries to build your battery Bank the weakest battery always gets picked on and takes the most abuse...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrKitty, thanks for the reply...the batteries are all 7AH batteries. they are all the same brand... and to be clear i added the fourth one within a week or two of getting it going...still i was thinking of replacing them with 2 - 12v 10ah batteries....would that work?

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
Yes and then you can use a regular charger to charge them up

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
If you have 4 6v 8ah wired up for 24 volts your bank is only supplying 8ah for the intire bank if you wire it series parallel then you will have 16 Ah but 12 volts so it will be slower but last twice as long

1 - 5 of 5 Posts