Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From some of you who have experience......what gave better results, Using the stock carb with tapered needle/rejetting....or....swapping out to another carb set up??? Other mods I'll be running first are, Clutch springs,pipe,timing advance,and 60 tooth.

·
Registered
63 Posts
walbro and dellorto are a little bit better but the modded carb,jet n needle is also cheaper. matters how much money you wanna put into everything

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you taper the carb you are messing with the jetting. Sometimes good........sometimes bad depending on your mods.

Just a heads up before ya bust out the dremel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for all the info.....I guess I'll try diff. combos and just see what werkz best.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
The stock carb is a damn good carb. All horses have to be trained to be a champion thoroughbred. Even if the true blood line is there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does ne one know if the Triple tapered needle off of adrenalinemotorsports.com comes with the 2 e clips (chrome and black ones)?If not does ne one know where i can get one bcuz mine is all bent up?...Please help

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
HOSS said:
The stock carb is a damn good carb.
I agree, the stock carb is not all that bad as most people think. I have a dellorto 1414 and have tried it on my cag. Yes the 1414 is a good carb but it's not worth the money to put it on a cag in my opinion. I tapered bored my cag carb, rejetted it and tapered the stock needle and it performs very nice. I've tried the triple tapered needle and honestly I prefer a stock retapered needle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
zero4 said:
I agree, the stock carb is not all that bad as most people think. I have a dellorto 1414 and have tried it on my cag. Yes the 1414 is a good carb but it's not worth the money to put it on a cag in my opinion. I tapered bored my cag carb, rejetted it and tapered the stock needle and it performs very nice. I've tried the triple tapered needle and honestly I prefer a stock retapered needle.
exactly! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I dont know...I like my dellorto blata setup. Works great and I haven't had one problem tuning it.

As for a ported carb, I had trouble tuning it, but after a bit of time, I got it all running right. You're right about the t.t needle. I couldnt get that running right at all. Heck, all I used out of that kit was the jet. I didn't even use the adjustable needle at the end of the float bowl.

·
Registered
285 Posts
snowboardgeek1 said:
I dont know...I like my dellorto blata setup. Works great and I haven't had one problem tuning it.

As for a ported carb, I had trouble tuning it, but after a bit of time, I got it all running right. You're right about the t.t needle. I couldnt get that running right at all. Heck, all I used out of that kit was the jet. I didn't even use the adjustable needle at the end of the float bowl.
i bought them but i didnt use any of it at all..ahah, im just using dell'orto jet.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Thats the best way to go honestly. Why mess around with tuning the needle and jet when you can just retap the carb to take dellorto jets. Its easy enough to take out a jet anyhow.

mike93eh said:
i bought them but i didnt use any of it at all..ahah, im just using dell'orto jet.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
And if a person doesnt have the tools to retap the stock carb, scooterparts4less now sells different sizes of cag jets.

snowboardgeek1 said:
Thats the best way to go honestly. Why mess around with tuning the needle and jet when you can just retap the carb to take dellorto jets. Its easy enough to take out a jet anyhow.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
snowboardgeek1 said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the dellorto set up too on a cag, my point is I don't think it's worth the money. The dellorto carb can cost from $50-$100. Then you will need the blata 2.5 intake manifold which is just over $12 if you can find it. Since the manifold is metal, I recommend getting a blata reed block which is composite since the cag reed block is metal which will transfer all the heat to the carb. Also in most cases, 1414s come on proddys which usually mate up to Polini intake manifolds (the 1412 comes stock on 2.5s), so the carb sealing ring that comes with 1414s are usually too big to fit blata 2.5 intake manifolds so you will need to get a sealing ring from a blata 2.5, again if you can find it. Then you would need to buy different jets since the stock 68 jet will be too rich for most people unless you have some extensive mods. On top of all this, you will need to find an air filter that will fit the dellorto and for those that have HF cags since the dellorto setup will be longer than the stock carb setup. There are not many that will fit HF cags, FF cags have more room for a filter.

My modified cag carb performs very nice and is right up to par with the dellorto and I didn't spend a dime on it since I ported and polished, rejetted and retapered the needle myself. I'll probably sell the two blata 2.5 intake manifolds that I have and the keep the 1414 as a spare for my DM.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
snowboardgeek1 said:
I have an adjustable jet too and honestly I think it's troublesome to use. I prefer to have different sized jets. Like you said, how hard is it to change the jet and with the different jets, you'll have an idea of what jet size is needed for certain mods, one of the things I disliked about the adjustable jet.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Exactly.

One thing though on the dellorto carb, I was running a 75 jet and I was still lean. I'm sure an 80 would have been perfect. This is even after talking with JMD and mm64 when they were still in business.

Definitely retap the stock carb to accept dellorto jets. OR, go the scooterparts4less route if someone is scared to do a retap.

Good rule to follow...if its a hot day, go with a bigger jet, cold day, go with a smaller jet.

zero4 said:
I have an adjustable jet too and honestly I think it's troublesome to use. I prefer to have different sized jets. Like you said, how hard is it to change the jet and with the different jets, you'll have an idea of what jet size is needed for certain mods, one of the things I disliked about the adjustable jet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts