Pocketbike Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
saw that image too but i only saw it used in guides explaining the slide tuning and not selling them LOL. gotta love 20 year old bikes from across the ocean

I see the model numbers on each slide, i assume i just look up the one i want to install and hope its sold?
update! i figured out where to find each slide individually off dellortos site, you gotta go through the uk domain instead of the other one. It's got every part you could imagine for the carb including every slide variation besides 6108.4 :p https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/del...ts-needles-floats-calibrated-parts/sha-slide/ 65 dollars if you were to purchase each one seperately which isnt too bad considering you could get the whole pack for 60 before.

·
Administrator
3,759 Posts
saw that image too but i only saw it used in guides explaining the slide tuning and not selling them LOL. gotta love 20 year old bikes from across the ocean

I see the model numbers on each slide, i assume i just look up the one i want to install and hope its sold?
And now that you say that something just occurred to me do you think maybe you could have a vacuum leak maybe those 20-year-old crankcase seals are dry rotted or cracked

I had this happen to me before and no matter what I did I could not tune it I finally got sick of it running like trash and pulled the engine off the bike for a complete rebuild and when I pulled the clutch off the taper crankshaft the crankcase seal was cracked I replaced the seal and the bike ran like a dream

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
And now that you say that something just occurred to me do you think maybe you could have a vacuum leak maybe those 20-year-old crankcase seals are dry rotted or cracked

I had this happen to me before and no matter what I did I could not tune it I finally got sick of it running like trash and pulled the engine off the bike for a complete rebuild and when I pulled the clutch off the taper crankshaft the crankcase seal was cracked I replaced the seal and the bike ran like a dream
i thought of this, saw a post from like 2004 that said something about the crankcase seal being not good and that was his issue, i could check that out

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,530 Posts
As for the exhaust nest. Just look inside make sure some little mouse didnt fill your expansion chamber. Doesn't happen often but it can, seen it.
Definitely running rich with a dark plug.
You will figure it out and help some future builders too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
this is my dilemma,if i’m running rich. how would it have ran better with no filter , wouldn’t that mean it’s getting less air then it needs? could this be a matter of tuning the slides for the a/f ratio?
could just be the crankcase seal too like kitty said

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
What's the color of the spark plug? Bogging on opening the throttle is a sign of it running lean. Chutter at the top end is a sign of running rich.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What's the color of the spark plug? Bogging on opening the throttle is a sign of it running lean. Chutter at the top end is a sign of running rich.
it’s a darkish color, definitely not normal air/fuel color , would rev up without weight on it no problem but with weight on it it wouldn’t accelerate at all and would just bog, took off the air filter and it revs out to max revs except low end is horrible and the climb isn’t smooth at all

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
a brown color is what you want on the spark plug tip. You might want to check the compression. Have you tried a different spark plug? do you have multiple jets to try out?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
a brown color is what you want on the spark plug tip. You might want to check the compression. Have you tried a different spark plug? do you have multiple jets to try out?
jets are on the way. spark plugs sparking fine so i’m not sure how that would effect it but i could change it , how would i check compression?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
You'll need a compression gauge. You can pick one up at harbor freight. Can you show a photo of the spark plug tip? What color is the spark from the plug? A plug going bad will spark more orange or red.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
So if you look at the very tip of the electrode, not the threads, it actually has a kind of silver color (althought its a little hard to tell with the lighting and position). I'd say you're running lean. put a larger jet on there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So if you look at the very tip of the electrode, not the threads, it actually has a kind of silver color (althought its a little hard to tell with the lighting and position). I'd say you're running lean. put a larger jet on there.
ah, way more helpful as i was going off of the threads lol. bigger jets are on the way. i heard people go straight into the 60’s on the 2.5s. should i start at 60 and work my way up? and i asked this before but do you know if cf or fg reeds for this thing even exist?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Looks like stock jet is a 52, you can start off with a 60 and see what happens. Put the jet in, rev it up a few times, then ride it for a coupe minutes. You'll get a small idea on where to go by how its performing and then you take the spark plug out and give it a look. You want a nice brown color. Black is rich, silver is lean.

I think the reeds are the same as for the cags. If thats the case then there are FG reeds available.

I would take off the carb intake manifold and take a look at the reeds to double check.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Looks like stock jet is a 52, you can start off with a 60 and see what happens. Put the jet in, rev it up a few times, then ride it for a coupe minutes. You'll get a small idea on where to go by how its performing and then you take the spark plug out and give it a look. You want a nice brown color. Black is rich, silver is lean.

I think the reeds are the same as for the cags. If thats the case then there are FG reeds available.

I would take off the carb intake manifold and take a look at the reeds to double check.
plenty helpful, appreciate it!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts