Pocketbike Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, first I would like to say thank you to anyone that helps me out. I just recently bought my son his first pocket bike. My delima is that he's only 4 (almost 5) and it goes 35mph and it doesn't have a kill switch. It's a gas powered bike. I'll include pics. I think 35mph is a little too fast for my youngster. Is there anyway to put a governor on it until he's ready for speed?

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Some of them have.a.screw on the thottle handle. You tighten it down and it stops the throttle at half or less power. Hard to tell from the pics if yours has the screw. I will look at mine and post a pic if I have it.
But an electric would be a great start, 16mph, then upgrade the the gasser.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Some of them have.a.screw on the thottle handle. You tighten it down and it stops the throttle at half or less power. Hard to tell from the pics if yours has the screw. I will look at mine and post a pic if I have it.
But an electric would be a great start, 16mph, then upgrade the the gasser.
The four stroker doesn't have this because it needs all the RPMs it can get for clutch engagement

More than likely the bead trick May fry the clutch as well

·
Registered
410 Posts
They definitely need all the power. I still have a hard time believing they go 35mph. But Ill have to just buy one and put it to the test. Most in my area complain and say 18-20mph is all they get.
I would have my kid start on the electric pocket bike. 16+mph is quick enough and there is a cutoff on the brake. Once pulled it stops the motor.
Then as the child learns and a bit older go for the gas.
I suppose you could change sprockets to limit top speed but then you're going to have a lot of lowend power.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
They definitely need all the power. I still have a hard time believing they go 35mph. But Ill have to just buy one and put it to the test. Most in my area complain and say 18-20mph is all they get.
I would have my kid start on the electric pocket bike. 16+mph is quick enough and there is a cutoff on the brake. Once pulled it stops the motor.
Then as the child learns and a bit older go for the gas.
I suppose you could change sprockets to limit top speed but then you're going to have a lot of lowend power.
With a small kid on it it will do 30 and it'll get up to speed quick almost like when you dry rev them holding the bike up off the ground

I personally would never let a small child ride a gas-powered crotch rocket until they at least have some experience on the small electric ones that are made for children or a small dirt bike crashing a small dirt bike in a soft grass field is way different than wiping out on a pocket bike going 30 mph into a curb...

·
Registered
75 Posts
My neighbors kid is 5, been riding for a year on a gasser 2 stroke. About 30mph with the kid. Gotta know your kids limits. This kid is fearless, geared up, and no crashes

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Like I said it's best to put little kids on small dirt bike in a nice soft grass field for them to get the feel of what it's like and learn the basics of ridding before you put them on the asphalt on a crotch rocket

Once they get experience then it's okay to bump them up.

I see little kids all the time even on TV riding on the supercross track.

Progressive learning is the way to go not just jumping onto a bike that goes 30 mph.

·
Registered
262 Posts
No way that 1.5hp 4 stroke does 35 mph, maybe 35Kph. I have modified 2 strokes w/ 4 plus hp that barely make 35. Recheck your speed again. Put a bigger rear sprocket and new chain, that will give you more take off but less top speed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ha, what I thought. But none the less, unless someone has kids they have no say. I have kids. One I will put on anything at anytime. Another kid, no way!! Have to know your kids. Or let them all rip, they will figure it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.