Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, EPJ i'm sure you'll respond here lol..again a search got me no answers.

My clutch seems to be only using 1/3 of the clutch bell surface. Would it be ok to space the clutch away from the flywheel with washers to give the clutch more grab area on the bell?

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
There are lots of different clutches also. Two or three shoes 1 to 3 springs.
On a new clutch only the end 1/3 hits the bell. I sand that area down and put it back to work. Some times you have to do it a couple of times. I drill holes in the arms and put a racing spring on. And I sand the bell w/ 100/200 grit sandpaper. That's makes the engine revv higher before the clutches grab or more take off power. Here is a piston port modified clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
That is a band aid to even suggest using washers. Something is not right about the clutch, it either fits or it does not.

Pictures would help...

If at all considering putting washers, it should be on the shoes, it will not work on the center bolt as it is conical and is under its own pressure.

I have handled gazillion clutches of all china brands, and all suffer from quality control usually from warped bells, or badly aligned bearings, but that don't fit in all the way, then something is wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not able to get pics as it's all apart now. But the issue is that the clutch is only contacting 1/3 of the bell surface width. I was thinking of spacing the clutch out from the flywheel a little bit?

·
Bicycle with Engine
881 Posts
You would need longer shoulder bolts in order to space the pads further away from the flywheel... Notice how when the bolts are tightened all the way down the pads are still able to move.? The wavy washers are there to take up the small bit of slack and keep the pads snug but still able to pivot... If you put any more washers behind the pads, the bolts will bind up and the clutch won't work at all.

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
Are we talking about a reed port or piston port clutch, either way I like the alum arm clutches on either. I see both kinds on eBay for under $10 shipped, direct from China. Get one, lighten the arms, get $4 set of racing spring or springs. Are you saying the bell does not go completely or the clutch pads. On the clutches shown, there should thick washers between the clutch arms & flywheel?? A new bolt spring set a SP4Less is $4, that and a new clutch and springs might be the way to go. As the China wavy washers lose there spring the arm will move around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts