Pocketbike Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded monster)
224 Posts
Without me going back into threads.......
What is the controller mod worth in top speed by itself???
It's not really a speed booster by itself although it might give you 1 or 2mph, it allows more amps to reach the motor from the power source. So the better the power source the better the gains will be. Think of it as doing a lightweight flywheel on a car... by doing so you free up 5-10% of the power originally lost through centrifugal mass. That by itself isn't really noticed on a stock 200hp motor however if you do other mods to increase the motors power output to 400hp and that 5-10% becomes more noticeable. It's the same idea really... the speed controller mod frees up a pathway for more power to be made but it's still limited by the power source itself. Increase the power source, get better gains from the mod.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
It's not really a speed booster by itself although it might give you 1 or 2mph, it allows more amps to reach the motor from the power source. So the better the power source the better the gains will be. Think of it as doing a lightweight flywheel on a car... by doing so you free up 5-10% of the power originally lost through centrifugal mass. That by itself isn't really noticed on a stock 200hp motor however if you do other mods to increase the motors power output to 400hp and that 5-10% becomes more noticeable. It's the same idea really... the speed controller mod frees up a pathway for more power to be made but it's still limited by the power source itself. Increase the power source, get better gains from the mod.
Correct the mosfets waste about 3 amps in heat if you bypass those three amps go directly to the motor it also will make the speed control run cooler at WOT.

I mean I do understand why they didn't do it from the factory that if you lose the microprocessor the bike could potentially get stuck at WOT but the chances of that happening are so extremely low and you always have plan C where you just slam on the brakes as hard as you can to get it slowed down enough you can ditch.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Correct the mosfets waste about 3 amps in heat if you bypass those three amps go directly to the motor it also will make the speed control run cooler at WOT.

I mean I do understand why they didn't do it from the factory that if you lose the microprocessor the bike could potentially get stuck at WOT but the chances of that happening are so extremely low and you always have plan C where you just slam on the brakes as hard as you can to get it slowed down enough you can ditch.
Yep, only time I fried the processor was when I bypassed the ground on the speed controller and ran the system as a giant closed loop which force fed way too much juice through it and pegged it at WOT for about 3 seconds before cooking the mosfets and shutting down completely... but damn did it have serious nut for those 3 seconds!

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,009 Posts
Ha, the stuff we do for entertainment.
But yes I understand the revived power not an actual gain. I only asked because I was pretty sure there was at least one mph in there. When I upgraded a few bikes controllers to a FAST controller, it gained 1 mph. With that said I thought it was useful info for somebody just looking for a couple extra mph with not necessarily overvolting right away.
Although an expensive and probably silly experiment would be
36v 800w motor
Lithium 36v pack
36v controller mod
Wonder what those gains alone would are worth.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ha, the stuff we do for entertainment.
But yes I understand the revived power not an actual gain. I only asked because I was pretty sure there was at least one mph in there. When I upgraded a few bikes controllers to a FAST controller, it gained 1 mph. With that said I thought it was useful info for somebody just looking for a couple extra mph with not necessarily overvolting right away.
Although an expensive and probably silly experiment would be
36v 800w motor
Lithium 36v pack
36v controller mod
Wonder what those gains alone would are worth.
Good question! The lithium ion battery pack doesn't have the drop off of those sla batteries so I bet the low end would increase noticeably

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
From the extra RPMs in the 800w motor.

Stock
Font Number Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

800W
Font Number Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

Obviously does not include the lithium advantages, a higher throughput voltage due to less power sag and the fact that you are moving a whole lot less weight.

If you overvolt the stock setup.
Font Rectangle Number Circle Parallel

Font Number Parallel Screenshot Rectangle

Obviously none of this adds in loss due to heat, wind resistance, etc.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Lithium will spin a bushed motor about 1000 rpm faster and have instant torque

Adding a Lithium-Ion pack makes such a huge difference that you can't even compare the two.

250cc Yamaha to a 450

Like a Honda Civic to a hellcat

Like a ninja 600 to 1000

You know like not even being able to do a wheelie without really pulling really hard up on the bike and looking foolish

To being able to do a wheelie by just leaning back and gassing

So you have to make the decision add one SLA and go 18 mph over voltage.

Or strap a lithium ion pack that can deliver 35 amps and go 25 to 35 mph ( depending upon additional mods of course )

For kids I recommend letting them use up the SLA and then upgrading to lithium ion.

Adults should be buying lithium ion upgrades and selling the SLA battery's while they are still new to help recoup some of the cost.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Definitely what Mr. Kitty said... my set up is the 36v 800w clocked motor, modded stock speed controller and overvolted to 48v with a 48v 20ah lithium ion battery pack and no bs man... it pulls wheelies by accident with my 185lbs on it and hits around 25mph.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Not as much as just adding another SLA.
Of course not. But I have experience with just an upgraded controller, gained 1mph with SLA's, stock setup. More than once with backup runs.
Then one setup added a 24v500w motor, max speed 25mph with SLA, then swapped to lithium, max speed 27mph. Now this setup I understand it has upgrades so everything complements each other. But I have never done a handful of 1 mph mods. Only controllers. Pretty soon I will be doing only a lithium battery on a 650 bike. See what happens there.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
From the extra RPMs in the 800w motor.

Stock
View attachment 161004

800W
View attachment 161006

Obviously does not include the lithium advantages, a higher throughput voltage due to less power sag and the fact that you are moving a whole lot less weight.

If you overvolt the stock setup.
View attachment 161007
View attachment 161008

Obviously none of this adds in loss due to heat, wind resistance, etc.
I do love these calculators but they have disappointed me over and over again where some of my stuff comes out we with a higher top speed gas or electric, and some don't even come close, 2-4mph less. It crazy. Now the ones that are less I understand there was some Factor. One electric I believe was a motor dying.
One could say my calculations were off on the faster ones, but I repeatedly check, recheck, and measure for accuracy.
One calculation with off one time and when I corrected it it showed less top speed on the calculator.
I basically use them as a guide but I ended up stopped using them and just do real-world experience.
Some people can and probably will have a different experience as well. Crazy.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts