Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a MX500 and he likes riding around the neighborhood where we live. I follow him in my car. I would like to get me the 500 or 650 and convert it so I can ride it. I weigh 205. The 650 says it can carry 220 but the roads here have hills so my concern is that it will go really slow over up these hills. Not dirt track hills. Just big street hills.

What do I need to do to make it carry a bigger person up a good size hill and yet still go for about 1 hour?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll buy anything....I just want to be able to go with my son.

I read here the 500 was like the 650 so it doesn't matter to me. Amazon has both so I'll buy the best bike and parts needed.

Not concerned about cost....just the ability to ride with my son.

·
Registered
24 Posts
im pretty sure that they both go the same speed, 17mph
mx650 is prolly for heavier riders but my dad rides the mx500 and hes like 200 pounds and it is for 175 so the mx500 will be good to get

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have the MX500 now and it's fine on flat roads but the hills are the issue so I was trying to find something that could take on a hill.

Thoughts for anyone on what I should do?

·
Registered
34 Posts
go 48 volts or get a 90t Currie rear sprocket and cut holes to fit
I was in the same boat as you wanting to ride with my son. I went with the MX650, added a battery for 48v and changed the rear sprocket to 90t. I'm 185 lbs and sometimes ride with my 5 yr old girl as a passenger with no problems whatsoever.

If you're interested, I have a Curry 90T sprocket already modified to fit for $40 shipped.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Kiddie size bike + 200 pound rider + 1 hour run time + steep hills = not going to be cheap!

I don't think you can physically fit enough lead inside the bike to do this.. what kind of speeds are we talking about? An hour of riding averaging like 15mph? But even if sla can't get it, you can do it with fancy expensive batteries.

Hills are really murder on bats. Why limit yourself to pitbikes though.. Get an electric mtB to ride with your boy. Some frantic pedaling will mean a huge increase in range compared with a pitbike. Exercise is a bonus! And it can be just as quiet/clean for your neighbors..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guido:
So when you said:
"I don't think you can physically fit enough lead inside"...what do you mean by "lead"?

I've been looking at the A2B MtBike but it's over $2000.

rx33:
Will the 48V slide right in where the original was?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just mean sealed lead acid batteries. Its basically a kids bike, very small. To get enough batteries for a 200 pound rider on hilly terrain for an hour at a time at 15-20mph.. well, you probably would need panniers and a top case. Theres not much room under the bodywork and SLA's are big and bulky.

An electric kick scooter or bicycle could work though. At least you can ante up some leg power with those. You can get a Currie or Schwinn ebike for around $300. That's the at the low end and things go up from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So true, Guido !!

Hills and weight both kill batts. The kids can ride all day, but I'm 220 lbs and the really good zip is gone after about 10 minutes.

Do you know where I can street tires for my MX500?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My son has a MX500 and he likes riding around the neighborhood where we live. I follow him in my car. I would like to get me the 500 or 650 and convert it so I can ride it. I weigh 205. The 650 says it can carry 220 but the roads here have hills so my concern is that it will go really slow over up these hills. Not dirt track hills. Just big street hills.

What do I need to do to make it carry a bigger person up a good size hill and yet still go for about 1 hour?
You could put a smaller sprocket on the motor or larger sprocket on the rear axel.

Or you could convert it to gas like I did.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, agree, if you can’t find 1000 W motor, put an 800 W in an overvolt it. I wouldn’t waste my time converting any razor to gas. Honestly I would just go buy a used worn down pit bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not to mention the motor you installed is backwards, it’s gonna be harder to get air to that cylinder and you’ll probably wear out your rings and piston quicker. I’ve seen other people put those motors upside down, backwards etc. and end up with problems

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, agree, if you can’t find 1000 W motor, put an 800 W in an overvolt it. I wouldn’t waste my time converting any razor to gas. Honestly I would just go buy a used worn down pit bike.
To each their own. It was something I wanted to do and enjoyed it so it wasn’t a waste of my time. Parts for the razor are cheap and readily available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to mention the motor you installed is backwards, it’s gonna be harder to get air to that cylinder and you’ll probably wear out your rings and piston quicker. I’ve seen other people put those motors upside down, backwards etc. and end up with problems
I mounted it like that for a reason. Didn’t want to mess with swapping the back tire around and welding the one way like I’ve seen some do. The motor doesn’t really have anything covering it up. I think it will get air just fine.

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded)
35 Posts
As stated above, the mx500 and mx650 is the exact same bike other than the motor wattage... one is 500, the other 650. They have the same speed controller, same throttle, same batteries, everything... I ended up going with the cheaper and easier to find model lol.

Im 5'6 and 185lbs with a mx500. First upgrade I did was to the batteries, I'm running 3 12v 18ah lead acid batteries which when laid on their side, fit 2 on top, 1 on bottom with no additional modifications to the bike except the removal of the aesthetic plastic battery compartment covers. I now get over an hour continuous run time between charges on slightly hilly terrain.

Second mod I did was a speed limiter bypass to the speed controller. That's a simple and free way to unlock additional torque and top speed from any mx500/650 that can be done with basic hand tools in under an hour. Lastly what I'm going to do (and wouldn't hurt you either) is to replace the stock motor with a 36v 800w motor... while it won't make it a missile on wheels it will help tackle those pesky hills without overloading the motor... plus it appears to be the most powerful 36v motor option you can get that doesn't require extensive modification to the rear swing arm to fit.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
555 Posts
For sure. I believe the new 800 watt is kind of the old 750 watt motor they used to sell. I don't see any 750's for sale very often anymore. The motor alone should gain roughly one mile per hour. But like you said more RPM and torque for the Hills

1 - 20 of 22 Posts