Pocketbike Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
I want to thank everyone that's posted their mods and links on this thread.... I've been looking for an answer to better forks for a long time and I plan on doing this to mine ASAP. I'll post updates and pics when I can but for now... I'm off to the parts store for springs and longer bolts and hopefully I can find some spacers as well. Thanks again everyone.... You guys saved me a lot of money隆! 馃榿
Update 1: Couldn't find springs at the little Ace Hardware in my small town or anywhere else for that matter so I might be shopping online for the springs and bolts.... Any idea who would have them or can Ace ship from store to store so I can get those specific parts驴? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.... 馃榿

Registered
I bought a cheap set of downhill forks on eBay that had a 15mm axle. Then I bought 2 cheap new wheel bearings that fit the stock hub. Only work I had to do was drill and tap the hub disc mount so I could bolt on a amazon special 20 buck disc brake kit. I did spend a little more on the handlebars because I liked the look but all in I'm about 200 without handlebar for a new fork setup.

Attachments

Registered
I bought a cheap set of downhill forks on eBay that had a 15mm axle. Then I bought 2 cheap new wheel bearings that fit the stock hub. Only work I had to do was drill and tap the hub disc mount so I could bolt on a amazon special 20 buck disc brake kit. I did spend a little more on the handlebars because I liked the look but all in I'm about 200 without handlebar for a new fork setup.
I wanted to get a triple crown fork too but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it.... I still have some upgrades I need to do first before I can buy stuff like this, but I love the look and I might be copying the idea for later mods. Looks great man... Keep posting pics and updates隆!

Registered
Has anyone fit another set of forks on? The stock ones really suck..
[/QUOTE
I just eliminated the banging noise on my grandson's new Razor MX650 electric dirt bike's front suspension forks. I placed a rubber washer on the bolt holding the two halves of shock together. After removing the front wheel you have access to the bolt via the hole in the bottom of the shock. You need a 5mm hex bit and extensions to reach the bolt. Once removed, the bottom half will slide out and then just add the rubber washer to the end of the bolt. Don't overtighten bolt and defeat the rubber washer. I don't know how long the rubber washer will prevent the banging noise.

Registered
I ended up 3D printing some 3 inch spacers in PLA. I printed with 100% fill so they are solid. I purchased M8-1.25 x 200mm bolts and put the spacers in. Now my forks at least are as high as the rear end. I am going to throw on the new forks this weekend and try it out. The springs may still be an issue. If so I will take them apart again and find some better springs.

I just wanted something to ride around with my 10 year old. I added a 1800 watt motor and 48v battery. It gets up to around 25 with me on it. I weigh 240.

A few photos are attached.
Where did you find the long Allen bolts for your fork rebuild.... I can't find them anywhere. Please help隆!

Registered
cool thread!
I've bought a couple used Razors (MX350, MX500 and MX650) and have been doing some mods, and now want to do this front fork mod to raise the front end to match the rear of the SX500 shock-equipped MX650.

Instead of taking my existing fork apart, I ordered a SX500 Front Fork thinking it was an exact fit. I was wrong, but with another 3d printed spacer, it worked out perfectly and with new springs in the tube and a rubber bushing on the large bolt, I am getting a much better ride without bottoming out over bumps.
With the internal 3d printed bushing above and the 3d printed spacer, I am about 4 inches taller than stock.
hi Nate - yesterday I ordered a new set of "Indian" shocks off Razor's site, before realizing that the Indian's frame is a copy of the SX500 not the MX500/650... so I can either send it back or do the same spacer mod you did.
But I don't have a 3D printer, so will need to either buy a suitable spacers or make my own.

How have the modded shocks been holding up? Any changes/repairs made since you posted?

thanks! Here's my 6 year old on the MX500 (stock suspension), which he's almost big enough for now but thinking about putting in a Lithium 36V battery to reduce the weight for him.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts