Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the whole scene. Which probably means i shouldn't buy someone else's project which is basically a roller. Lets just start off with what it did come with!! Obviously it came with a frame (which is a little rusty since i assume he stored it outside) other than that its pretty full with wheels and tires that look decent. There is one calipher left on the back but no lines or handle lever. And it come with a basic engine (no pull start or electric) and a cvt transmission all together and a very rusty chain that attaches to the back sprocket. Included as well are a few plastics that are almost non-usable because from what i can tell they were ripped off with the screws still in them. That isnt really a big deal because until i get it running its going to be a naked bike. My plan is to use the original engine if i can to save a little money to a point but will end up modding for better performance. When i received the bike it had already been partially torn down so i started where they left off. Where i have gotten to in my project is the frame is stripped down and so is the engine as far as i could get it. My only problem with that is getting the stator/magneto off the case (im not even sure thats what its called). my plan was to buy a new one once i can get it off since the wire running from it was frayed where it connects. Im also not sure on what kit to get for the engine rebuild. I have narrowed down that my bike is a x2 with a 49cc piston ported engine using these forums, do i have to modify the block to put one of the big bore kits from ebay on it? i do have a 44mm piston set up so i know it wouldnt really be big bore but it needs rebuilt anyways!! and plus some of the kits look pretty schweet!!! Also can anyone tell me what chain to buy? This is kinda a lazy question, i saw it on here somewhere but cant seem to find it again..also i assume it has stock sprockets. Any help to get this thing running would be greatly appreciated!! i have taken a lot of pictured while i did the teardown that i will try to upload asap!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pictures!! Like I said it's already torn down almost all the way!! I just need help finding what parts I can use for the engine. Like I said before I have basically no knowledge of motorcycles and limited small engine experience. I'm pretty sure the head was stamped with a sanren logo.

Attachments

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Go to ebay......Look up X1/2 pocketbike parts,..youll see an ad for an engine for that bike aswell as pretty much parts from parted out bikes....If you want an engine all done up and ready to rock n roll....pm EPR...Hes got some beautys for sale.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thank you CAM2, ive seen a few of his engine and i would love to have one but money is a little short right now. i mostly dont want to buy the wrong parts. didnt know if there was a good way to tell what would work. also what would be a good thread for changing from an electric start to pull?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Ok thank you CAM2, ive seen a few of his engine and i would love to have one but money is a little short right now. i mostly dont want to buy the wrong parts. didnt know if there was a good way to tell what would work. also what would be a good thread for changing from an electric start to pull?
You can just add the pullstart but to get an easier pull and a few extra revs you can gut the e start and add the pullstart and can even eliminate the e starter altogether and add the pull starter too....

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/47-...61-how-removing-zenoah-engine-electric-start-

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
On eBay under 49cc pocket bike parts, should be able to get a new cyld/head w/ piston and rings for around $50. If your crank is in good shape that would be the best. Might need a rod bearing also, and starter housing w/ pawl. Before you buy something check with us here.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Well depending on how diligent you are in shopping youre first choice would be to go with a new topend which affords you the opportunity to port the head and give it a couple extra horses...

Thats good if you were the original owner and knew how you cared for it...The rest of the situation is questionable and taking a gamble that the carb, crank crank seals and coil is good...

A whole brand new engine will run you between 100.00 and $150.00 shipped..........

In any event unless youre content rolling with a whimpy 2hp 2 stroke engine youre gonna want to upgrade.........

After alls said and done youre in the realm of a way sweeter power mill pushing almost 3 times the bone stock power and with killer looks to boot..Just saying.....:tango_face_grin:

Good Luck with the choice

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back to the post, I'm having a feeling that this is going to be a pretty long project!! All of the information you're giving me is super helpful and I'm going to be ordering parts as I go. I already ordered the rebuild kit and it just came today. Still thinking I need a few more thing before I can start. From the sounds of these forums I'm going to have to order a dremel so I can get the most out of this engine..I think I'll need it since I'm a little bit bigger of a guy!! I have been looking at new pull starts and was wondering if anyone has had luck with aliexpress? I'm sure they're only good for certain parts but not all. Mostly I was looking at throttle, grips, and possibly the pull start assembly. I might even get the rear spring from there too.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also when i was looking at springs there were a few different size choices. in standard they offer 4.25" and 4". and in metric they have 100mm and 125mm. that means that those are either around 4" or 5". i personally think the 125mm would be too goofy looking with the back sticking up and looking weird but i dont know since mine didnt have one to begin with!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And CAM2 i kinda had in mind to buy a new carb just because it was in such rough shape when i got it. i rolled the crankshaft and didnt see any metal shavings or anything extra in the case and it moved pretty smoothly so i want to believe that the crank would be usable. the coil on the other hand is questionable..im not sure how i would test it and from what i could tell a new one would be around $40-$60 which is definitely one of the most expensive parts on the engine so far. the other thing that concerns me is that the wire coming off the housing is frayed and starting to fall off which might just be a soldering project but im not sure if thats an option or not. also i might look into the crank seals but other than the piston top and head the other internal parts didnt look bad at all!! how would i go about checking the seals to see if they need replaced?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
And CAM2 i kinda had in mind to buy a new carb just because it was in such rough shape when i got it. i rolled the crankshaft and didnt see any metal shavings or anything extra in the case and it moved pretty smoothly so i want to believe that the crank would be usable. the coil on the other hand is questionable..im not sure how i would test it and from what i could tell a new one would be around $40-$60 which is definitely one of the most expensive parts on the engine so far. the other thing that concerns me is that the wire coming off the housing is frayed and starting to fall off which might just be a soldering project but im not sure if thats an option or not. also i might look into the crank seals but other than the piston top and head the other internal parts didnt look bad at all!! how would i go about checking the seals to see if they need replaced?
Before you torn the engine down you should of done a leak down test to see if the seals are good...it can also be done after it's built...

Anytime you do a topend it's good insurance to change the crank bearings...

X1/2 have a short shock with like a 3 1/2"-4" spring that's like 500 or 750lb rated
http://m.ebay.com/itm/REAR-SUSPENSI...ntrq%3A6361b70415e0a9cc13b00d81fff93980%7Ciid

Coils are cheap too....

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2-stroke-Coil...ntrq%3A6363022815e0abc0073a3230fff90483%7Ciid

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome CAM2 thanks for the links!! i ordered a new spring last night!! right now the big part of the project im gonna focus on is cleaning up the frame and getting it painted and rolling again!! im ordering a rotary tool and im going to try cleaning up a bit of the surface rust, it doesnt really look like it needs to be media blasted. Ive been looking into blueprinting too and i might not do a full one but i think im going to try and smooth out surfaces and get everything fitting tight..i just saw one were they made a new sleeve for the crank bearings and it was definitely beyond the tools i have to use haha i feel like better air/fuel flow will help out enough!! also i realized i ordered a piston without a boost port soo i might be looking into drilling one if its not too complicated!!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
AliExpress has a lot of good stuff cheap, but may take 3 weeks to get them. Have you looked on eBay for parts, Bought new 15mm pumper carbs as cheap as $9 shipped. That coil and shock should work great on your bike. CAM2 knows a lot about all these bikes and engines. You can get crank seals for around $10 a set, and its easy to rip the old ones out and tap new ones in with the crank in place. Cases have to be air tight, no leaks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah EPR i thought of that after i got to looking at everything and comparing sites. i thought the express version was u.s. suppliers, thats ok though, but im way too impatient to wait that long haha!! i have prime on amazon and the prices between them and ebay are pretty similar so i use amazon for most stuff and ebay for the hard to find things!! ill have to look into new seals next. i just ordered a couple random things and its about to be like xmas for the next month checking my mail haha i have a rotary tool on the way that im very interested in getting familiar with!! as well as new grips and throttle assembly/line with brake levers, new fuel lines, and brake lines for both front and back!! oh and also the throttle assembly comes with a kill switch too. my plan is to practice with the rotary tool on the slightly rusty frame to get a feel for it and then maybe clean up/practice porting the old cylinder head before attempting the new one. i cant wait to get started!! also i was looking at a couple kits for the carb that come with an air filter and velocity stack that are about $15 shipped from ebay and it says itll fit x1/x2. the only thing that slipped my mind was the coil which i will most likely order in the next week!!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Over the years I have ordered parts from Amazon to England and Italy for Euro Parts for my GRC GP Italian avatar bike. It pays to look, cause prices for the same part vary a lot, some eBay vendors charge way to much for there parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys it's been a bit and I'm slowly getting around to rebuilding the engine after all the parts arrived and I ran into a small problem. I bought a new carb and a velocity stack for a nicer looking air filter and for some reason the screws holding the stack and carb to the block won't line up. I have tried the carb and stack separately and the screws go in fine. I have also tried getting them started together and after that didn't work I screwed one all the way in and still no luck. I even tried the old screws from the original carb. Any ideas? And what kind of rocket key should I look for? All the ones i have seen are for rc cars. Would those work?

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Not sure what V-stack, carb or intake manifold you have?? Can you post some photos?? For pocket bikes there are 2 size rocket keys, small and large. Online on pocketbikeparts look under X1-X2 parts you should see one there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure thing!! It's actually pretty confusing because the v stack and carb came together and as you can see I have the stock air filter that fits on just fine but doesn't look as good haha

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also the next step I want to take is to try and gut the electric start. The extra revs and everything will be nice plus the electric start is sorta a novelty at this point since for awhile it will look like a rat bike!! Is there a post I should look for that already has that information not trapped in 100 pages of content? Not that I don't like reading these threads but this seems too specific to just start scrolling through post haha

1 - 20 of 43 Posts