Pocketbike Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
380 Posts
I would cut the fins down to the magnet edge, lighten and balance the clutch. That's not a Blata engine, they got the weed wacker engine and put it in a Blata frame, think Roybin or somthing like that made the engine. then they designed their own engines 40cc air & water cool engines later.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Correct it is not a Blata engine the frame is a Blata but the engine is a Robin/Subaru NB411 on the 2.5s

I believe you have the wrong coil.
I can't see in your picture you should back up a bit to show the whole engine but I think you're trying to bolt the coil on the wrong spot.

I also believe that you have the wrong flywheel if I remember right the flywheel should look more similar to the one on CAG engine and it has a appendix engagement mechanism not a pawl mechanism...

Don't be afraid to take more pictures from different angles and farther away and up close of what you're working on the better we can see what's going on the better that we can help you...

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
This one is all original as far as I know. Also he’s digging out a box of a back up engine. Another blata 2.5.
Anybody can say what they want about the blata 2.5 39cc engine. In it’s stock form it is more powerful than even a lightly modified CAG motor. I believe they are about 3.4 hp and let me tell you it’s got to be close to that. A little bit of work I bet you that little motor would keep up with the 40cc 4.2 Blata motor

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well here’s the spare engine, this coil does not look original, but the fly wheel is and the first one had the original fly wheel and coil with the same name on it.
I hope that helped you, like I said the bike, the first engine, runs and runs well. If you find out any other info let us now. But we thought his top end breaking up is the carburetor because this thing set for about 10 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Correct it is not a Blata engine the frame is a Blata but the engine is a Robin/Subaru NB411 on the 2.5s

I believe you have the wrong coil.
I can't see in your picture you should back up a bit to show the whole engine but I think you're trying to bolt the coil on the wrong spot.

I also believe that you have the wrong flywheel if I remember right the flywheel should look more similar to the one on CAG engine and it has a appendix engagement mechanism not a pawl mechanism...

Don't be afraid to take more pictures from different angles and farther away and up close of what you're working on the better we can see what's going on the better that we can help you...
This is in fact a Blata motor and not the Subaru/Robin NB411. I posted the Blata schematic earlier and you can see the difference between motors is on the flywheel side. The Blata coil mounts on the rear and the NB411 on the front.

I will check later with my buddy. He has an original 2.5. I’ll try to get some pics
Thanks this was a huge help. A Facebook group I'm on also responded with the same thing, spacers behind the coil and almost the exact same looking hardware. So I'm going to agree with you that this is how its supposed to mount. It just looked odd to me and wanted to verify before I tried to fire this thing.
I bought a Elite 11 at the same time as this. I will be making a thread on that soon, 6.2 5-port ac :)

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
This is in fact a Blata motor and not the Subaru/Robin NB411. I posted the Blata schematic earlier and you can see the difference between motors is on the flywheel side. The Blata coil mounts on the rear and the NB411 on the front.

View attachment 160098

Thanks this was a huge help. A Facebook group I'm on also responded with the same thing, spacers behind the coil and almost the exact same looking hardware. So I'm going to agree with you that this is how its supposed to mount. It just looked odd to me and wanted to verify before I tried to fire this thing.
I bought a Elite 11 at the same time as this. I will be making a thread on that soon, 6.2 5-port ac :)
In this picture everything is looking how I remember them being back in the day...

The starter is a little different then I remember but my buddy could have had a aftermarket setup of some kind

·
Banned
380 Posts
Yes, that could be one of the first real Blata engines they made, looks good quality stuff made in Japan. I like that blue coil is that stock? Don't know much about them engines except the Chinese copied it for all the Cag engine up to MT A3, with 5 spoke rims and 15mm piston port pumper carb.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Had some time this week so I worked on redoing the rear wheel setup, it miraculously still holds air.
I'm still in search of new chain adjusters so I had to reuse the old ones. The rim had heavy oxidation as does most of the aluminum on here. I lightly sanded then polished the rear rim and spacers. New SKF wheel bearings, brake rotor, 60t sprocket, brake caliper and caliper mount were installed.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Think my Polini has 5" rims, the best part is the rims split, so much easier to change tires and tubes, over a 6.5" Cag rim. The first A1 Cags had split rims too. Five inch tires are hard to find and are expensive if there Euro tires. Your you can get a 4" scooter road tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
892 Posts
Very nice, that 2.5 is coming along nicely. That's something I always wanted to do is clean up the wheels on my pocket bikes

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Thank you ATV.

I got the motor running today and rode it really quick. You need really short bolts where the recoil starter which I didn't have. Excited to fire this thing up I shimmed some longer bolts with washer but they were not too snug they backed out on my test ride. Flywheel hit the plastic pawl gear but its fine just need to get the right 8mm long bolts.

So it runs!!! It has a Dellorto SHA 14/12 w/ 52 jet that the bike came with. I'm running the recommend 20:1 ratio with Lucas Oil mix and 94 octane ethanol free gas. It was a little hard to start but it did and idled ok. It seemed to bog down or lose power slightly in the mid-range but caught up with itself on the top end. A member recommend putting a SHA 14/14 with a 73 jet on here.
When I cleaned it I noticed the rubber tip on the float needed was starting to break away, so I'm surprised it ran as well as it did.

Blata 2.5 Startup Video

·
Registered
892 Posts
Awesome! Really nice to hear it running. The idle might have sounded high but it really wasn't because the clutch was not engaging. That's the life of a two-stroke. LOL
Glad to hear it running and you are so much closer to having it fully restored.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah I'm pretty happy with it, thank you. I'm going to tinker with it to get running a little better then it's getting torn down for paint and body.

My friend owns a body shop so he's going to sandblast and paint the frame for me. One of his guys is going to do the fiberglass work on the front fairing. It had a good crack on the windscreen area and some gouges.

I'm not sure on a paint scheme?? I was thinking go for the original blue or do a solid red or yellow and put ducati stickers on it. What do you think?? Frame is going to be factory light silver

·
Registered
892 Posts
Lucky!!!! I need a good paint guy. Lol
I am thinking the red/yellow Ducati. That would be awesome. I have a ton of downloaded pics of cool pocket bike paint schemes. I bought some honda and other stickers for a few sweet bikes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Post those paint scheme's please!

I hope to have this torn down and over to the shop in a couple weeks, whenever he is ready..... Then it's on to the Elite 11 with 6.2 5-port AC hehe

21 - 40 of 70 Posts