Pocketbike Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
892 Posts
Nice place for decals. I just bought cheap and randomly on ebay. Spent Maybe 15 to $20 for about three different decals for one of my pocket bikes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I put the SHA 14/14 on with the 73 jet and I think it was too much fuel. I have a 60-78 kit on the way but right now 59 was the next size down I had.
It hits great off the line but stutters once you get to the mid-range, if you ease off the throttle and wait it'll catch up with itself and rev out. I'm running the plastic air box.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Now you have run into the problem with those carbs your going to need the slide kit as well to be able to tune it properly you can get it directly from the carburetor manufacturer off their website...

It controls the low speed adjustment this is how you tune the throttle curve on those carburetors.

Attachments

·
Banned
380 Posts
So, your running a .59mm now, that's way to small, nice and lean on the takeoff. For $10 buy a gauge drill set, with drill vise to hold them, there very small, .013" to .080", great for all bikes under 110cc, I have two more sets up to .125". Each size only varies around .003" up, so reg drills are no good. Get a pack of welder tip files to take small amount up. Widget Supply in Oregon for the drills. Happy Trails.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
I personally would just save my money and go buy a pumper carburetor with a high-speed needle and low speed needle adjustment. I have a special place for those slide carburetors and there is a guy in a big green truck that comes and picks it up every Thursday morning.

·
Banned
380 Posts
He is right the 14/14 clone carbs are junk,lol, and they sell them as hp or racing carbs, lol. Don't believe everything you read on ads, their like used car salesmen. PBparts you can get an alum 16mm Cag manifold for $18 or so. If you look at a chainsaw online shop like hlsupply .com, if you know what you need you can get a 16mm for 12 to $14. Got a 21/20mm from them $14 only had to bore the intake manifold from 16 to 20mm. Then I go to davesmotors .com for V stacks $9.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Now you have run into the problem with those carbs your going to need the slide kit as well to be able to tune it properly you can get it directly from the carburetor manufacturer off their website...

It controls the low speed adjustment this is how you tune the throttle curve on those carburetors.

View attachment 160202
Do you have a link to slide kit?

I personally would just save my money and go buy a pumper carburetor with a high-speed needle and low speed needle adjustment. I have a special place for those slide carburetors and there is a guy in a big green truck that comes and picks it up every Thursday morning.
He is right the 14/14 clone carbs are junk,lol, and they sell them as hp or racing carbs, lol. Don't believe everything you read on ads, their like used car salesmen. PBparts you can get an alum 16mm Cag manifold for $18 or so. If you look at a chainsaw online shop like hlsupply .com, if you know what you need you can get a 16mm for 12 to $14. Got a 21/20mm from them $14 only had to bore the intake manifold from 16 to 20mm. Then I go to davesmotors .com for V stacks $9.
This is a genuine Dellorto off my elite 11 not a clone, I know those are junk. I am restoring this bike and want it to be original not going to ride it much.

So, your running a .59mm now, that's way to small, nice and lean on the takeoff. For $10 buy a gauge drill set, with drill vise to hold them, there very small, .013" to .080", great for all bikes under 110cc, I have two more sets up to .125". Each size only varies around .003" up, so reg drills are no good. Get a pack of welder tip files to take small amount up. Widget Supply in Oregon for the drills. Happy Trails.
I have that 60-78 jet kit on the way i'll just use that thank you though

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Right on it's genuine that means that it's actually okay... !!! 😃

I never give this link because the slides tend to not fit in the knockoffs one of the many reasons why I hate the knockoff it's not tunable.... Again I will repeat myself for the people on here that have trouble reading the knockoff is not tunable in the low speed area so it works for speed runs onley where you don't care about low end take off speed or out of turn punch!!! The ones they sell as a race carburetors on eBay are a sure joke and a half for sure and we'll see better performance out of the stock carburetor tuned properly with the petcock delete mod at nobody wants to give the stock CAG carburetor a chance all that people need to do is just take the carburetor apart even with a fingernail file you can clean up the casting abit and make it flow a lot better what do we say at the track stock on the outside fast on the inside 🤣

Oh yea the link you requested

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Right on it's genuine that means that it's actually okay... !!! 😃

I never give this link because the slides tend to not fit in the knockoffs one of the many reasons why I hate the knockoff it's not tunable.... Again I will repeat myself for the people on here that have trouble reading the knockoff is not tunable in the low speed area so it works for speed runs onley where you don't care about low end take off speed or out of turn punch!!! The ones they sell as a race carburetors on eBay are a sure joke and a half for sure and we'll see better performance out of the stock carburetor tuned properly with the petcock delete mod at nobody wants to give the stock CAG carburetor a chance all that people need to do is just take the carburetor apart even with a fingernail file you can clean up the casting abit and make it flow a lot better what do we say at the track stock on the outside fast on the inside 🤣

Oh yea the link you requested

Thank you so much. I've been on a couple parts websites and this is one of the things you don't see too much of. I had the #12 slide in another Dellorto carb so I put that in and there mid-range stumble is gone. Been on another project so I haven't switched jets yet but that 60-78 jet kit did come in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
What slide do you recommend? I tried the 73 jet with all the slides and it didn't work well. I dropped it down to the 68 main and the #4 slide ( I tried #1 & #2 also) then I ran out of premix to test it. I am running the stock air box which I think is very restrictive, I think that's why it like the smaller mains???

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
It really all depends on your bike and your atmospheric conditions to what slide and jet combination is going to work best for you.

Start rich and then slowly lean it out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I swapped the air box from the stock Dellorto to a Polini intake box I was going to run on a different bike. Same 68 main and the same #4 slide in similar weather conditions WORLD of difference. I had to have been choking the motor with that stock air box. I wanted to keep this as OG as possible because it is going to be a "wall hanger" but it was muffled/ no power with the stock air box.
I started with the recommend 73 main and tried different slides, the only thing that was helping was going down on the main. Everyone said that 59 main that ran decent with was way too lean so I said ok fine you guys win and let more air in so she can breathe at a better rate. Should be pretty easy to dial in now its getting pretty smooth throughout the whole power band.
I'm not too concerned about dialing it in this week. It's hot and humid and not the cooler crisp air I would most likely ride this in. So I'm going to wait until cools off a bit before I try to really dial this in.
Even my china with a pumper carb had to be adjusted in this hot humid weather, it was tuned in cooler air also.

Just want to thank everyone again for the input and help. I'm new to the minimoto bikes and jetting or tuning a engine has never been my strong point

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I got my frame back from the powdercoater. They sand blasted the frame and I went a very plain silver powdercoat to what would have been close to original and had a clear coat put over it. It looks great but before I start reassembling I need to have the fairings repaired and I want to clean up the motor.

What are your suggestions for a quick easy was to freshen the look of this up? I don't want to disassemble the head to cases.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
892 Posts
I would start cleaning up with a wire brush and either brake cleaner or something. Do all that and then I would polish it up. It might be difficult getting inside the cylinder head fins. That would be my recommendation and it should look pretty nice. If you want to keep the stock color, otherwise it could do some mild sanding on it and paint it with high temp paint.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I think I'm going to end up painting the motor. To evenly sand or polish the motor is going to more of a chore than I want. Bought some motor paint today and started assembling the frame

You can see the right fork is about 1 inch taller than the right. I have an email into the company where I bought it. I shouldn't have to cut that down to size

Attachments

41 - 60 of 70 Posts