Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm Alyssa, I'm new to pocket bikes and 2 stroke motors in general so I apologize in advance for any stupid/obvious questions I may ask. I'm pretty intelligent,I learn quick, so hopefully it won't be long before I can fit in! Haha.I've always wanted a picketbike, and finally managed to find one for $50 on craigslist. Throttle cable was broke,rigged one from off a lawnmower, fixed. Gas tank was cracked (yay for the half gallon spilt on my porch before I realised) jbwelded that,fixed. Pull start is missing,been trying to jump start it off of my car, not much luck so checked spark plug, not too pretty, about to replace.gonna attempt to clean the carb( no idea what I'm doing, but I'm optimistic.)

Annnd yea, that's my intro. Oh and I THINK I have a cateye,at least that's the conclusion I came too after searching on here. I'll post pics at some point, but im on a junk phone so it'll take a minute.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First dumb question, I've read it on here just not sure I understand.. I unplugged the key (don't have one), but I'm not understanding how to make the killswitch. Can someone dumb it down for me? Pull start is broke, pretty positive battery is dead so push starts out. Going to jump start off car battery in the meantime.

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
There is a wire coming out of the plastic on the top of the engine that comes from the Coil.. That goes to a little white clip.. If you find that you can do a few things.. A the end of the starter (little yellow button on throttle) wire there will also be a white clip.. Clip them together and your starter is now a kill switch

You can find a push putton kill swith and cut the clip off the wire to the coil and connet it to the kill swith..

You can find any push button that is off and on when pushed.. Connect a wire to one prong and attach it to anygood ground bolt on the engine and connect the black wire to the coil to the other prong.. Mount that in the key switch hole...

Nice find for 50 bucks.. Welcome to the site!

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Carefull jumping it with a car battery.. I think too many amps could fry the starter and charging system.. Try a lesser amp battery if you have one... 7 -15 amps?!

They starter does turn over tho??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, that's what I thought but I like to double check, sometimes triple. Lol
Finally got it cranked a few mins ago, but its only going like 2mph, suggestions?

And I tried to readjust my left handlebar, but now it won't come all the way off or tighten back down either, so I'm stumped. Can't exactly ride with it like that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car batterys the only thing I have... I did have a little smoke coming off the starter (that's where the pull starts supposed to be right?)at one point when I couldn't get it to start(needed spark plug), but it may have been dust and stuff cause I think it was sitting for a while.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Ok, that's what I thought but I like to double check, sometimes triple. Lol
Finally got it cranked a few mins ago, but its only going like 2mph, suggestions?

And I tried to readjust my left handlebar, but now it won't come all the way off or tighten back down either, so I'm stumped. Can't exactly ride with it like that.
It sounds like its gonna need a onceover and a tune-up and maybe a carb rebuild........

try cleaning the intank fuel filter/clunker,,washing out the tank ,,drying it good and mixing up fresh premium fuel to 50:1 with a descent pre-mix oil..

try changing the sparkplug,,NGK BPM7A gapped to .030".....

try cleaning the rust off the coil and magneto magnets then regapping to .020" which is the thickness of a business card..

heres a vid on how to adjust the carb.......

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Car batterys the only thing I have... I did have a little smoke coming off the starter (that's where the pull starts supposed to be right?)at one point when I couldn't get it to start(needed spark plug), but it may have been dust and stuff cause I think it was sitting for a while.
That was the 65 amps of car battery frying the 6.5 amp rated brushes into carbonite....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I rinsed out the tank (had to epoxy a crack).
Fresh gas, 50:1.
New spark plug (AutoZone didn't have right size ngk, got a cheap one for now)

Coil and magneto magnets are spanish to me,... Still new to motors.
Checking out that vid in just a minute

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
The brushes create the charge of electricity as the starter spins.. It changes from a starter to a charging system.. If the brushes melt it will no longer charge the battery as it runs... Next time you do get it started you hit that prong coming out of the starter with a voltage meter and see if its reading over 12 votls

The car jumper might have more amps.... :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The brushes create the charge of electricity as the starter spins.. It changes from a starter to a charging system.. If the brushes melt it will no longer charge the battery as it runs... Next time you do get it started you hit that prong coming out of the starter with a voltage meter and see if its reading over 12 votls

The car jumper might have more amps.... :(
Sooo if I fried it, ill have to jump start it everytime? (Or get a new starter obviously)
I THINK my jumper has a 7v/12v toggle. Been so long since I looked at it I'm not sure

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.