Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up recently a Pocket Bike that looks like a M1A1 but has a full fairing kit on it which I thought A1's didn't have.
Got it for $25 and it starts and seems to run good.

I need to hook up the rear brakes and need to know if the brake bracket bolts on the outside of the axle or the inside.
Any pics or drawings of the rear axle with brakes hooked up would be great.

I will post pics soon of the bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess mine is a M1 A2 then although I've seen info that said M1 A2's have a flush mount gas cap which mine doesn't have.
Here's a pic of mine :

I got the back brakes hooked up but the back wheel doesn't spin very freely so maybe the chain is too tight?
Also, should the axles for the wheels be greased because mine weren't so not sure if it helps since the wheels
have sealed bearings anyway.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
I've never seen a lower fairing like that before, but your top fairings match the ones on CAM2's bike, so I'm going to hazard a guess and say you have an MT-A1 with some custom-fitted lower fairings. Can you pull off that lower section for us, take a couple shots of the frame?

Oh, yeah, your brake bracket goes on the inside of the swingarm, and shim with washers or spacers to fit correctly over the brake disc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get some shots of the frame and post them.

And do the rear wheel tensioners go on the inside or outside of the frame?
Any ideas about why the back wheel would have so much resistance? Its not the brakes as I had them off and it didnt make a difference, the wheels on my pocket dirt bike roll nicely but on the "Mini Ninja" the back wheel just slides like the brakes are on if I wheel it around the garage to move it.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Do you have the chain too tight? Sometimes that will do it, too. Check to make sure you have some flex in the chain, like 1/8" or so. That's an important thing to check for .... if you have the chain cranked down too tight, you can actually sawtooth the teeth on the rear sprocket from too much friction. (How do I know this? I picked up an MX3 from a kid who did exactly that - the sprocket teeth were as sharp as razorblades.)

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
It sounds like you may be missing the axle tube spacer that goes between the bearings in the rim hub................

The wheel tensioners go on the inside of the frame mount.....on the outside are a flat washer and a nut.............

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never seen a lower fairing like that before, but your top fairings match the ones on CAM2's bike, so I'm going to hazard a guess and say you have an MT-A1 with some custom-fitted lower fairings. Can you pull off that lower section for us, take a couple shots of the frame?

Oh, yeah, your brake bracket goes on the inside of the swingarm, and shim with washers or spacers to fit correctly over the brake disc.
Here's a shot without the lower fairing:

The fairings seem factory made and not custom, Maybe my bike is some kind of M1 A1/2 Hybrid?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds like you may be missing the axle tube spacer that goes between the bearings in the rim hub................

The wheel tensioners go on the inside of the frame mount.....on the outside are a flat washer and a nut.............
Do you mean the spacer that goes between the frame arm and the wheel?

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
No, the spacer CAM2 is talking about is actually inside the wheel itself. When you pop the bearings out of the rim, there's supposed to be a spacer tube that fits inside the rim between the insides of the bearings. The reason for this spacer is, when you're tightening up the rear wheel, the spacer pushes against the insde edge of the bearings so that it won't allow you to overtighten the rear axle and break the bearings. (Imagine pulling your belt a few notches too tight - that's what overtightening the bearings without that spacer would do.)

I am going to say that I have never seen a lower fairing setup like that, but that's definitely an A1 frame. Maybe you got a special edition or something.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Check your throttle housing for a throttle restrictor................I found one on my trophy cag just a couple hours ago...................

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
CraigsList has some incredible deals, if you're just willing to wait for them. I haven't paid over $100 for any of my bikes or scooters, and my GP RS-R was only $20 ....

Now admittedly, I'm looking at an almost-brand-new motorized skateboard with a 49cc engine for $175 on my local CL ... the guy's just barely gotten the thing broken in, says it's too fast for him. I MAY be willing to go that high for it, considering brand-new the boards are about $400.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check your throttle housing for a throttle restrictor................I found one on my trophy cag just a couple hours ago...................

Do I have to remove the throttle and disasemble to check if I have a restrictor or can I see it without removal and dissassembly?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
If you have that phillips screw thats in the pic on the throttle piece then you need to take off the throttle housing to remove the square nut from behind when the screw is removed...........The piece is from a 2011 model MT-A1 Cag....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow How do you find A cag like that for 25$ bucks dude!!?? Sweet Deal
Found it on Craigslist and couldn't pass it up. It has some aftermarket parts on it as well and seems to have been well taken care of. Will post pics of the parts soon. The bike was advertised as not running but I actually got it to start up very easily unlike my pocket dirt bike that took me forever to get running.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts