Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this electric dirt bike thing, I am a female and we grew up with gas only dirt bikes and four wheelers.
In trying to get one electric dirt bike to work I have bought 4 that dont work. And I need help
1st one-Minimoto XRF500 36v 500 watt controller, initially thought it was the controller, bought a new one and still nothing- the batteries are brand new but there is no sound no anything happening and I have never seen it do anything, the guy i bought it from said it worked the dya before but the man that came to look at it before me left the key on and it ran dead.
2nd one- Razor 350, 24 volt. Batteries read full charge. I rode this one in the mans yard that I bought it from and it was great. It wa smy sons xmas present and we let it charge over night, well when I went to go get it to place it for my son to see on xmas I smelled something like burnt wire so I assumed the brand new charger I bought for the first one bc I thought it might be a charge thing was just breaking itself in. And on xmas day my son rode it and it was so sluggish that he basically had to keep his legs on the ground and walk it.
3rd one- mx500, I jst bought this and the people said all it needed was new batteries, I got excited took it apart without even thinkin about testing the batteries, then tested the batteries when I was almost ready to change them out with brand new ones and they still have a full charge--- when i switch the switch to on the 36v thign lights up on the throttle arm, and if I plug the charger in while its turned on it says green for high/full, then i unplug the charger and it switches to the yellow light under the green light saying low? This one atleast had a smal sound sounding like it wanted to go.
4th one- Motorcycle looking electric bike, not streetbike looking but motorcyle, I switch it on and pull the throttle down and nothing no sound or anything
Oh please help, my son is very upset and my husband is mad bc I have turned our house and utility room into an electric bike junkyard lol.
My Father is really good with electric stuff and even he cant figure it out.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Welcome to pbp. :)

Do you have a multimeter so you can test the volts going to the controler and what is going to the electric motor? If not i would pick one up at walmart or radio shack. Do a reading on the voltage that is going into the motor. If no voltage is getting to the motor then goto the controler and see if its putting anything out. Test the grounds to make sure that all the grounds are good. I would do that on each one. Also check all the fuses onthe bikes to make sure they are not blown.

The that has alittle sound when giving it some throttle might be the motor. Might have bad brushes inthe motor.

The one that smells like burnt wires. Try to find any melted wires and replace them.

By all means im not a electric bike pro. I am a automotive and heavy eq electrician 12/24V.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Sir we have tried to test most of the bikes but we cant figure out why there is no power going out of the controller, and the new one I just bought is doing the same thing. No power out of the controller?
The main thing I probably need to find out is what to test and what is supposed to happen when its tested.
Like I have read through many threads about the bikes and have gotten the point of testing the battery straight to the motor to even see if the motor works! But do I need to plug in the controller or unplug everything else?
Can you just give me what needs to be tested and what it is supposed to do?
Like if I plug the controller in what should be coming out of the controller to what? And I also read that there should be variations of reading when pushing the throttle but when testing what wires? Thank you soooo much for any help you can give!
I have tested the batteries and they all have a complete charge. the fuses are not out on any of them I have checked those, but what about the relay switch buttons? I dont quite know how to check those?
Also there is no burnt wires on the smaller razor but I think i burnt out one of the two batteries?
Ok thank you soo much for any help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
1st bike- check the fuse first. then you have to use a multimeter on all the controller connectors. What i have done is just turn on the bike and push in the multimeter prongs (gently) into the controller connectors (obviously black to black, red to red). Do this for all of the connectors (unplug the connector from the brake line since it is unnecessary atm). Do both sides of the connector and by this is mean the female and male sides of the connector. I think to get a reading on the motor you need to use the throttle? Doing this should tell you the problem.
2nd bike- You could have burnt the charger and batteries. On my 48v charger its fan cooled, but still heats up to the point were i unplug it especially if the batteries are fully charged. I suggest a fan cooled or quili powered charger. Check the charger just plug it in the wall and use the multimeter on its prongs or inline holes (or if it has a led light that no longer turns on its probably dead) (the prongs will have a plus and minus sign above them, red to pos blk to neg). Use the multimeter on each battery to check them.
3rd bike- I had this problem with my custom 48v bike and i freaked out considering it was after i touched the batteries and motor directly which made a huge flash of light. Ended up the charger port wasn't plugged in the controller. To say the least i was relieved i didn't ruin $200 worth of batteries and a motor.
4th bike- more detail would help considering it could be anything from a burnt controller,wires,batteries,motor, faulty throttle, fuse, or simply connectors are not plugged in. Use a multimeter on everything once again to find the problem.

A simple way to find out if the batteries or motor is bad is by directly connecting them. This is done by removing the connector plugins from the motor only. Put the blk motor wire to the blk battery wire into the connector. Next red to red, but keep a firm grip on the motor wires cause you dont want red and blk wires to touch. Also hold the motor in between your thighs or under your foot because it will "jump". When the wires are connected the motor should spin at high to full revs if all the stuff is good and the batteries are charged. I suggest only doing this for low amp/ volt bikes because like i said when i did it on my 48v bike it caused a huge heat flash resulting in the plastic connector to melt a bit and the battery wires needing to be replaced.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might check the brakes... When the brakes are activated they kill the motor. It's possible to get them so far out of adjustment that they are slightly pulled all the time. You can disconnect the brake switch from the controller which will allow you to hold the front brake and spin the back tire.

Steven

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much I will try this soon wen I get better weather or this weekend lol, i have two in my cramped house and two in my cramped back building lol. I will keep updating bc right now im still frustrated and want to just go ahead an get a gas one just scared my 7 year old will whiskey throttle it into the road. Thank you all again!!! Keep ya updated

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a similar problem on my 24v pr200.

I've put the extra battery on to 36v and connected it up, no problems there. When I pull the throttle the controller clicks and the wheel turns a little. Then suddenly it goes for a bit, but once it stops it is hit and miss again.

If I put it back to 24v it works fine.

I've got the stock 24v throttle and controller, could this be the problem. When it does go on 36v it feels that you really have to wind the throttle all the way back.

Any ideas please?:(

·
Banned
21,780 Posts
I've got a similar problem on my 24v pr200.

I've put the extra battery on to 36v and connected it up, no problems there. When I pull the throttle the controller clicks and the wheel turns a little. Then suddenly it goes for a bit, but once it stops it is hit and miss again.

If I put it back to 24v it works fine.

I've got the stock 24v throttle and controller, could this be the problem. When it does go on 36v it feels that you really have to wind the throttle all the way back.

Any ideas please?:(
You need a controller thats 36v.................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.