Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
btw guys im new with this. the bike was given too me broken a couple months ago and i had some help reviving it because and previous owner nearly killed it with straight fuel. i also had to buy new parts.

i have a problem with the pocket bike, when i start it and run it for around 10 secs it stalls and when i try start it after that it sometimes starts and sometimes won't start. the methods i have used were to tune the air to fuel mixture screw, clean the carby, clean the fuel tank and then apply brand new fuel. but still does the same thing. btw it is a pretty old bike and hasn't been ridden for a while. there could be the something wrong with and engine but i don't know.

could anyone help?

my bike is exactly like this but a lot older with some rust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, (First post here, just registered)

Did you check the filter and the fuel lines? it it fires up cold it can indicate that the fuel is getting to the carb, all be it a little slowly. This happens when the fuel lines are blocked or kinked, or the filter is filthy. What happens is the carb bowl empties after initial start and the fuel from the tank cant get into the carb quick enough for the demand from the engine.

just one of the things that could be causing it. :)

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Install a new fuel filter,,new sparkplug gapped to .030" with fresh 28:1 premix if your engine topend is new.........

If it continues to stall and such try totally cleaning the carb,,resetting the float height and look into the petcock mod...............It works a small miracle with these small engines and will require a 1/4" inline fuel shutoff after that because the petcock mod eliminates the weak anemic fuel flow ...the mod strengthens fuel flow to the carb and eliminates 20% of the problems.......

Modding and rejetting works out the rest of the carb problems but Im more partial to the pumper carb retrofit kits.....The ease of tuning and the cleanliness associated with it is a big plus.............

While you have the carb off it wont hurt to check the condition of the reeds sealing either...............

I would also check the condition of the flywheel magnets and the pickup coil.......If rusty clean them up and regap to .020".......Rust hinders proper spark...........Good Luck with getting your bike running well..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the mixture i use is 25:1 is that good for an old bike like mine after
i have fully cleaned out the carb and fuel tank ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for your help guys all i did was clean the carb. all the old crap 2 stroke premix was built up in the carb and blocking holes. so its now clean and i made and used a new premix and now its working perfectly fine.

question: does it matter if the pocket bike randomly turns off when reeving?

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
These carbs are a pain in the But. But, there easy to work on, Way to Go.

·
Registered
434 Posts
thanx for your help guys all i did was clean the carb. all the old crap 2 stroke premix was built up in the carb and blocking holes. so its now clean and i made and used a new premix and now its working perfectly fine.

question: does it matter if the pocket bike randomly turns off when reeving?
Sounds like you need to play with the air mixture screw or move the clip on the jet needle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my pocket bike is a pain . After cleaning at the carb it worked and i rode it around for a bit. No problems. the next day i took it out and started it, waited for it to warm up. I rode down the road and it stalled. After that i tried starting it and it wouldnt start. I walked it home and tried starting for 10 minutes and no start. I emptied the bowl and let the fuel come through again and then it was able to start on every pull but not able to run for more than half a minute. Im confused. Anyone have an solution?

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Somethings wrong in your fuel system, probably a restriction somewhere. The main jet is only .025" , if your are still running the stock lines, black, even with a filter, the china rubber comes apart behind the filter and clogs your carb. The rubber washer can rip inside the white turn off knob, and block gas flow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ye i have the old black rubber fuel lines but a new fuel filter. ill have to change the fuel lines and reclean the carb and maybe look into the petcock mod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts