Pocketbike Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
I just drill my stock jet out with the harbor freight micro drill bit set I use the go no-go method to find the stock jet size drill then go one size bigger and drop the needle all the way down then start working the c clip back up to find The Sweet spot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
The go no-go method? Meaning this one fits, but the next size up does not?
Also, I am not entirely sure I'm following you on the whole dropping the needle all the way down then working the C clip until you find a sweet spot.. would you mind elaborating on this a little?
I'll run to harbor freight later today. There is one I can get to without leaving the neighborhood which is rather convenient if you ask me.

Thanks for all of the input you guys!

On a side note, how difficult are these little tires to mount? The lucky 7 needs the beads broke and the tire and inner rim face need to be cleaned I think. It has a slow-ish leak from the bead on both tires. Otherwise the tires have no issues. I'd imagine that they are a real bugger to mount, given their diameter and how stiff they are.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,083 Posts
The tires suck. But can be done.
On the round slide carb, pull the top off where the cable goes in. Then you need to pull the spring of the top and then the cable off to get to that needle. Then you can see the C clip holding it in position inside that black slide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah I understand how to get to the c clip in the slide, however I do not understand the reason for adjusting the c clip? Also no one answered my drill bit size question for the jet?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Found the size. I'm pretty sure I had to go 2 sizes up from stock, because the micro bit set jumps up from .6mm to .8mm, and the stock jet is a .6mm I think. These bits aren't exactly marked with size haha. My needle was set in the middle, I'll drop it down and see what happens and adjust it as needed. Hoping this performs as well with this setup still.

Is there a way to run a cone air filter on it, or will I have to use the stock air box? If I have to use the stock air box, can I modify it for better airflow?
Thanks you guys.

·
Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
Sounds like you're doing everything exactly right...

You can either drill a whole bunch of holes in the stock air box and use that or get the intake manifold adapter for the cone filter the stock air box with a bunch of holes in it breathe just as good just doesn't look as cool.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah I understand how to get to the c clip in the slide, however I do not understand the reason for adjusting the c clip? Also no one answered my drill bit size question for the jet?
Without seeing the rest of the answers, C-clip makes your mid and topend fuel adjustments for the carb. Have to look at the spark plug. Black=to rich, ash white= too lean, tannish= just right.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sounds like you're doing everything exactly right...

You can either drill a whole bunch of holes in the stock air box and use that or get the intake manifold adapter for the cone filter the stock air box with a bunch of holes in it breathe just as good just doesn't look as cool.
Exactly. Well said

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I'm having an issue with this stock carb. It is flooding BADLY. It is pissing out of the drain hose on the side of the carb no matter what I do. Kinda regretting the petcock mod right this moment a little bit not gonna lie. Haha

I'm guessing the float needle is stuck for some reason. I've gotta run to get my daughter picked up, but I'll reassess when I get back to the house.

I know the wife is gonna be mad as hell if I don't figure it out pretty quick like because it is making the whole house smell like gas. Oops! 🤣

·
Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
Don't worry your family will learn how to get along with pocket bikes and learn to love them. 🙂

I use a soda pop bottle and some fuel line take the carburetor off the bike and bring it to the sink

Adjust the float height until water stops squirting out the overfill.

Make sure you have the flot in the proper direction the smooth flat ring goes up ( some of them don't have that )

Make sure you get it adjusted so that when it drops down a little bit it turns the flow of water on running you will see when you have the float bowl off and you can push on the little ears with your finger to turn the water flow on and off how it works...

Once you're done using water you have the choice of spraying WD-40 all over it and wiping it off or completely disassembling it and putting it in the oven on low for 15 or 20 minutes to evaporate the water if you don't plan on running it for a while.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've worked on many carbs over the years, but each one is a little different it seems. Idk what happened to cause the float needle adjustment to get so off though. Must've unintentionally messed with the little ears while I had it apart. That, or the float needle did fall out at one point.. might have something to do with it. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but may before I go to bed tonight.
I'm about tired of my hands smelling like gas constantly though.. haha

I've actually got a gallon can of carburetor Chem dip I could drop the carb in, just have to make sure I don't forget any gaskets. I'm pretty sure it would take care of the water. But WD40 would be more than sufficient. That is some magic stuff, lemme tell ya.

Your pop bottle and fuel line idea is a fantastic idea. I've used a similar contraption to siphon gas before. Just deflate the 2liter and if you've got the hose in the fuel you can hear bubbles. Then pull the bottle back apart to create suction and you're done. Keeps you from getting a mouthful of gas and you've got a bottle to catch a decent amount of gas in at the same time. 😉. 20oz works best, but they don't hold much. Haha

·
Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
Sometimes people will try to adapt o the EZ pull system and a lot of the pocket dirt bikes do not have the decompression notch in the cylinder and the easy pull spring does not have enough tension to pull the engine over.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts