Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been lurking around these forum for a loooong time now and I am very very happy to say that I have learned a ton! So thanks to all the awesome experienced members answering so many questions.

I'm planning on building pocket bike that will be for getting me from point A to point B. It needs to be able to comfortably hold 60+ mph without stressing the engine too much. After a lot of research I've found the only cost effective way of doing this is to drop a 140cc engine into the frame. Most of my question pertain to the handling of the bike at these speeds.

Many people will say X bikes are chinese pieces of ****. is this true? I've been led to believe that with proper care and maintenance they can preform well. Would the stock X-18 frame with only engine related mods be able to handle those speeds comfortably? can the frame handle some minor speed bumps without falling apart?

What upgrades would give me a bike that would ride comfortably for decent stretches of time at 60 mph.
Things I've researched so far would be extended swing arms, suspension upgrades, and steering stabilizers. Do these actually make a difference or just another pocket bike gimmick.

Would I need any brake upgrades? seeing as I'm not adding much if any weight with the new engine my logic dictates that the stock would be fine... but that's why I'm asking the experts!

·
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNIS
1,278 Posts
Ok well the brake upgrade I would recommend because that is the main thing I would want on a road bike more than anything is to be able to stop asap I know blitz and swheels have a dual front brake kit but I think u have to use a different kind of front shocks

There is a big brake kit out there I found but its kinda pricy here is the link http://www.xmrpros.com/store/product-info.php?pid216.html

And u def want to change the rear shock because it is not a shock just a spring and it is no good for any speed over 20mph for real lol

For this bike there are a lot of options for the rear shock real nice ones for less than 60 bucks if u look around just get around the same length eye to eye and thickness shouldn't be a prob

I don't know if the stabilizers are worth it or not and I've heard they are not just bolt on u have to fab up a bracket for them

Strip the bike down and replace the hardware with quality nuts and bolts and loctite it all with blue loctite

Witch brings me to vibration drill out the factory motor mount to a 3/8 and use quality bolts and nuts and a lock washer grade 8 preferably

As for the extended swingarm possibly could be better for the street I also don't have any experience on it yet so im sure I will soon

And obviously change your sprokets to utilize the power of the engine u don't need to be pulling it up in 2nd with the stock sprokets lol

Oh and lastly get yourself a good Speedo so u don't get busted foe speeding even a bike Speedo from WalMart will do

That's about all I can tell you from personal experience here

oops i just realized u have a x 18 the shocks are not the same as a 19 in the rear i know other people have done a flipped rear arm and custom shock mounts but i have no experience on the 18 rear yet myself i know its a 6.5 eye to eye and thats about it most mountian bikes run the same rear shock so u might try there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was definatly planning on replacing all the hardware. Thanks for mounting tip! I was planning on replacing the sprockets, I weigh 280 or so and I'm planning on adding a 26mm racing carb, HP exhaust, and an HP air filter in addition to the new 140cc engine. What gearing would you recommend? haha it would be fun to leave it stock and play around with that much torque.

·
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNIS
1,278 Posts
I'm no expert on gearing yet but im gonna try a stock 17 front and a 38 rear and see how that works out with my 110 next week im sure it will b much different when my 160 goes in lol

that's what I just ordered after looking around on here

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Why not just get something like this??? It's a 250cc aircooled engine and will go over 60mph with ease street legal come with title.I think there around 2grand or under. I have to go back and find the site and i'll post a link. I don't know much about this bike personally,but it should be much easier to get registered and plated than these little bikes. PLus his bike is way bigger and you'll be able to go on he highway with it.

If i was into street cruzing and just want something mellow. I'd more than likely go with something like this. Should be less hoops to jump through to get it registered.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. blitz I would love some more info from you bro your a master. What engine did you swap? Is there any way to order an X-18 without the 110? Possibly answer all the question in my original post?

·
Registered
898 Posts
swheels.....where did u find that bike? ive only seen it on pbu.........
i want one but would rather not buy from there......
but if i have to.......lol

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
thanks
ive had a few motors, you need good tires, add some oil to the front forks so they dont bottom out
i still got the stock shock and it was ok i guess
for high speed id also replace the chain, its a 420

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.