Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got done installing my 2 15" neon lights into my cateyes. I wired it so it has 2 cigarette outlets (like in cars) so i can plug anything into them. Pictures of the neon mounted under the muffler and on the front of the frame, Sorry I couldnt get a pic of the whole bike but this camera wont pick up the neons from the bike worth $*** unless its right next to the light but the effect is really, really nice. I will also make a tutorial for wiring these neons if i get enough requests. :)
More pics soon.

And the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
looks good, but wat did u mount the front neon to?

from the pics, it looks like its just sitting there...
i kno its not, but wat r they really mounted to? the frame or the fairing?

and since u cut the wires, y didnt u just cut it to the amount needed, instead of haveing that huge bundle there?

even tho kno1 is gonna really check for that...

i bet it looks sikk at night!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
o yea, i plan to do the same thing...

but not attached to the same wires as my headlights... i would want a seperate switch, cuz i think it would look better riding without the headlights on...

urs still look good tho...
and wat color is ur bike?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front neon is velcroed to the frame, as straight as it would go. The bike is yellow w/ blue headlights. It does look bad @$$ at night. BTW, theres a switch on the cigarette plugs for the 2 neons so i can turn them on at will, headlights or not. also that bundle of wires is just the excess neon wire, but theres a little of the battery wire too

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PyRoTeKniKz said:
Could you explain how you wired up the cigarette plugs to the bike...
Its pretty ez, all you need is one of those dual adapters that you plug into one cigarette plug and it gives u 2 plugs. Just take that and look at the end, the red wire on the battery hooks up to the tip of it and the black wire to either of the sides. Just splice into the battery and run a wire to get the power to it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
SSJ

yo you think you could make me a quick tutorial..As much as u can exlpain in 3-5 minutes would be great help. Im looking to do that just for the fact that blue neons with my black bike would look amazing. haha. If you decide that you can just do a some up of how to do it in 2 minutes, dont wanna have you there for hours. When I mount mine Im mounting them to the underside of my bike (on the fairing.) Also I dont wanna use cigarette lighter but just connect the wires to a switch I will purchase, or I might just attach them to the existing headlight switch. How would you say I should mount them, to me I wouldnt wanna use velcro like you did although yours is still wicked. Would you advise I glue it or your sure velcro is the only way? thanks apreciate it a lot

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
lookin good. i would really like it more if you hid the neons better. more stealthy.

anyone that needs help with neon installs, let me know. im pretty experienced in electricals by learning on my own.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Where is the best place to pull power from for neons? I prefer to not splice into the battery wires. I think the best idea is power to a seperate switch for these. Radio Shack has a huge selection of switches for applications like this.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, I never minded splicing into battery wires so i never really looked into other power sources. Ill have to look l8r or BoostedBoogie might know.

BoostedBoogie - Ill have to look into a more stealthy place to put it on the front, i personally think that the back neon is pretty well hidden.

·
Registered
866 Posts
ok, first off,

get neons that fit a car...
1 with no car plug, like mine for my car...(got it from autozone...)

it will automatically come with the 2 wire ends...

get a standard toggle switch, and hook up the positive to it...
then get a wire and directly connect it to your battery, and to the switch...
then connect the other wire directly to the battery, with probably a fuse in the middle of it...
it should basically be an easy install... + to +, - to -, just a switch in between the positives...

to use the existing headlight switch, just tap into the positive wire, and the negative wire, then connect them there...

the 1s for the inside of my car have screw mounting holes at the top and bottom...

i wouldnt recommend mounting them on the outside tho, cuz u hit a bump on a cateyes, and the fairings scrape like s_hit...

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
btw, on my cateyes, only 2 wires go directly to the battery

then they go to this recharging unit thing...

buy wire, and something to hookup to that...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
as long as the neons are connecting to a fused wire, it should be pretty safe. my best bet would be the headlight wiring, taillight wiring, or the horn wiring. if you hook up to headlight/taillight, you can only have the neons on if you have the head/tails switched on. if you decide to hook them up to the horn wiring (which gets a constant 12V power +), then make sure to hook up your ground seperately somewhere else. otherwise you can only turn on the neons while the horn button is being pushed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ok cool..I live in canada so i'll check out canadian tire cuz i know they carry neons. Im guessing 15 inch would work. I really want to mount them on the underside regardless. I'm very imaginative, so im sure i'll find a way to find something that will mount them but also make them removable. LOL..I'll also make connectors so i can emove them from my bike for weight reducction if i race at any point in life.

thanks for that picture tho im a visual learner haha

·
Registered
866 Posts
i took out all my electricals...

then put the essentials, like headlight and brake light, with a quick disconnect, just for racing and stuff...

no electric start, turn signals, or that other wiring crap...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh rnb, the neon lights i got, Redline brand did come with mounting screws but i didnt bother with them, nowhere to mount them w/ that damned horn

·
Registered
146 Posts
where did u get yur neons from? i live in canada but goin to the us labour day weekend might get them then. redline sounds like a premium brand name. i dont know if i would want to just screw them into the fairing.i want to make them removable. So im thinking im just going to drill the hoels needed to mount the lights, and then use a bolt rubber washer n nut to hold it in place under the fairing. SOUNDS GOOD?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts