Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I ran into a little problem when I tried to install my carburetor today. I'm working on a 4 stroke x7 pocket bike. The original carburetor has a cable choke but the one I ordered has a lever so that's probably the problem but i would rather have the carburetor with the lever because the cable is broken and missing. The problem is that the throttle slide wont close fully. All the adjusters are in all the way so that's the furthest the slide will go down. I am 100% sure I put the slide in correctly. Do I cut the black plastic/metal coating to make it longer? If so what should I use to make a clean cut and not cut the cable itself?

·
Bicycle with Engine
881 Posts
Yes, you can cut the cable sheathing to make the cable longer. If there's an aluminum cap at the end pull it off, slide the cable back inside the sheath a few inches then clip off the extra with wire cutters.... Just don't go too far, you can always clip off more. You can use a toothpick or something to open up the end then push the cable back through. If theres an end piece on the cable preventing it from sliding back through the sheathing you might have to unpeel the metal coiling inside with some pliers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm a little confused on what you said with the toothpick part though. And how do I know how much to cut? I have never cut a throttle cable. I know if I go a little too much I can pull the adjuster out and go from there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to add I can't remove the cable from the sheath because the little nipple is still on the end of each side of the cable and I'm not planning on cutting them off and soldering new ones on.

·
Bicycle with Engine
881 Posts
The toothpick trick I learned from a guy at the bike shop, when you cut the cable with wire cutters it kinda flattens the cable out so just stick the toothpick in the crimped end of the cable, move it around and open it back up. If it's a decent cable there will be some plastic tubing inside to keep friction down and the wooden toothpick won't damage it. I would try to eyeball it up as best you can then clip off small amounts; until you get enough slack in the cable then you can mess with the adjusters to tighten it back up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh that makes sense. But the only problem I have is how am I going to cut the sheath with the cable still inside?

·
Bicycle with Engine
881 Posts
I edited my first post right after I submitted it, dunno if you caught that last bit, lol. Try to take off some of the black plastic covering first then you gotta unwravel the metal coiling underneath. It should unwind by grabbing it with some needle nose pliers then clip off the extra.

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
The lever choke don't matter, my X18 has a 25mm dirt bike carb like that, it's hard to reach the lever. On all my bikes starting cold, I carry a fuel squirt bottle w/ 2 stroke gas and put some gas on the cone air filter and leave the choke off. You can get a longer cable throttle for around $10, I have cut outer cable before, it's not fun. I grind thru the outer spring case on my bench grinder and then rip pieces off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol yeah I found that out the hard way. Thought I would give it a try. I just ended up ordering a new adjustable cable for like 5 bucks on ebay.

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts