Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up everyone, i picked this up from a buddy, it's a no name random pocket bike. So far i've stretched it 8in, reienforced the frame, and swapped to a Big Motor Sport 54cc engine. Right now i'm having an issue figuring out how to run the supplied throttle cable. I have it in the carb, but cannot figure out a solution to mount and tension it on the kill switch housing. I took a picture of me holding the cable next to the housing to show what i'm talking about. Thanks ahead of time, and stay tuned to this thread for more updates on the build.

here's a picture of how i got it.

I paint matched it to my drift car whenever i paint it. Base/Clear from a 2010 camaro

here's how it looks as of today. I still need to bend some more tube to connect the top bars to the new mounting for the motor since i had to move it back or the head would hit the tire.

and here's what i was talking about in the engine review thread.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
I have one of those cags...........I see you did away with the Zenoah powerplant and went with a reed inducted engine for the new buildup which looks pretty cool so far........

For the throttle cable youre gonna have to get another one unless youre handy aswell at resoldering lead ends back on after grinding the small end down so it can be pulled through the sheath..........Another alternative is cutting a slot in the outter part of the elbow and then using elrctric tape to cover the slot....................

The old throttle cable will work just fine if you remove the elongated carb elbow off the del rep and use a shorter cable adjuster from a stock cag carb top.......

It also looks like youre gonna need a bottom chain roller to keep it off of the frame.........Keep up the good work..........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions and kind words, I didn't grab any photos of today's progress but figured out a solution to use the throttle cable that came with the motor. Now i just need to come up with a tensioner for the bottom side of the chain so i can keep it away from the frame since i had to raise the motor up a bit with the mounts i made. But here's a teaser of the first start up i need to lower the idle it sounds like and then finish breaking the motor in.

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/punxva/?action=view&current=pocketbikefirststart.mp4

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Its new, go easy on it. I liked it with the zenoah engine in it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will do i'll be breaking it in like any of my race motors for the car, except i don't have to change the oil lol. Just broad rpm riding and no full throttle runs. then i'll change up the mixture and let her eat after a few tanks of gas.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I just twisted the crank on my first A1 Cag, after I rebuilt the top end, and mill the cylinder down, and had to grind down the top of the piston to miss the head. They run real good, just before they Blow Up. But I blew the chain off and the 3rd bearing was blown up. The damage was done when the chain locked up in the third bearing stopping the engine cold
I am hard on my engines, there is not much off a break period, but short drag races, so its not to bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made a chain roller out of an old lower link needle bearing from an R6, a sleeve inside of it, 2 washers and a bolt, Then welded the washers to the frame. Time to tear it all back down and prep everything for powder coat. here's some bad pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well it looks like my build has come to a hault, i got the new exhaust for it, and got it all modified to work with the bike, but now it wont start, it has fuel and spark, but it sounds like its loosing compression on of the head and i noticed after pulling it for awhile, there is gas/oil mix leaking out of the motors somewhere near the head. I'm not quite too sure where to go from here with it other than to do a compression check and possibly tear the motor down and see why its leaking.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like it, especially the stretched swingarm.
Its a shame the body doesn't go more with the swingarm, it kinda looks like a drag bike but its not quite there yet.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Take the 6 little allen bolts out and retighten the 4 head bolts, they says 15ft lbs or so but I tighten time down pretty tight. Its common on these Billet 3 pcs head kits.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
When you install those head kits you have to make sure you use loctite aswell as make sure that the head bolts protrude atleast 3-4 threads from the hole to properly torque tight......... on my 5 port cag two of the head screws pulled through from being too shallow

After a good heat up and cooldown you should always retorque the headbolts the first couple of times ..........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome thanks for the help guys that was the trick, now just have to throw some more gas in it and figure out the adjustment that allows the clutch to not engage as easy it is trying to take off with the choke on.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Try turning the idle screw down a bit.......If that dont work you may have an airleak somewhere or maybe a busted clutch spring.......Its likely youll need to rejet the carb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i cant seem to find the idle screw on this cheap performance carb they sent with the motor.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Itll be the only adjustment screw on it.............It doesnt have an air/fuel mixture screw.............Theres a good possibility the screw fell out from vibrations if its missing..........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the project had been put on hold until earlier this week, Last time i ran the motor i had to retorque the head down. Once i did that i noticed that one of the bolts isn't grabbing well once its all the way tight. I pulled off the head and found that the bottom ring wasn't even there on the piston. I just finished drilling out and putting a helicoil in which didn't work out too well since it still isn't sealing. I just did a compression check on it and got 80psi. Any suggestions or ideas for the block one that one hole? I can order a new ring for it but i'm not sure if it needs it since it wasn't in there already.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
You need 2 rings, the piston was designed for 2. My C1 has 1 ring, and the piston is long and has one ring. There 44mm piston rings, the Zenoah and Cag engines use the same piston on the 40, 43, 49cc engines.
I have a jar full off 44mm rings, 10 and 12mm pin bearings, and pistons an pins I have been collecting for 2 yrs., my wife says I'm a horder of PB Parts,lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok good to know, now i just need to get this head bolt situation figured out. I've been honestly thinking of sending it out to a builder who knows what they are doing to get it all right again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts