Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, my name is Joey, I'm a self employed PC tech by trade and I mod, hack, repair, rebuild, and resell just about anything I can get my hands on. I attend a local estate auction on a weekly basis where I pick up a lot of my stuff. It also just so happens is where I found my first PB, a A2 needing lots of love, and basically a frame, front wheel, half an engine, and clutch for a A1.

Picked them up for $20 with the intent of fixing them up and reselling them BUT after I got the A2 running, I've had a change of heart, and well, have been bitten by the bug. Once I get my A2 running like a champ I plan on doing a complete tear down and a full restoration. Thinking of going with a matte black finish on the frame, all black fairing, and white rims. As for the A1, not too sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Anywho, just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I'm also really into electronics so if anyone needs help with circuit building, or just simple wiring, feel free to bother me. I'm always willing to help those that want to learn.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nice deal and welcome to the forum! Both sound like fun projects, will def look for your build threads :)

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Welcome Aboard, looks like you got some work to do.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Welcome to the forums ... nice pair of projects you have there.

On the A2, I would suggest flopping the forks so the brake caliper is behind the fork leg. Too often, I've seen someone hit a curb and bust the entire caliper right off. Having it behind the fork leg protects it more, plus gi es something for the caliper to push against when braking (if you hit the brake now, it pulls away from the fork leg, which could lead to possible damage and a trip over the handlebars).

And please lose those awful chainguards, even if you have to fab something up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on the builds.

On the A2, I would suggest flopping the forks so the brake caliper is behind the fork leg. Too often, I've seen someone hit a curb and bust the entire caliper right off. Having it behind the fork leg protects it more, plus gi es something for the caliper to push against when braking (if you hit the brake now, it pulls away from the fork leg, which could lead to possible damage and a trip over the handlebars).

And please lose those awful chainguards, even if you have to fab something up.
Dude, are you really a Spy? Those are the two exact things that I did yesterday in my shop, flipped the forks and started fabricating a new chain guard for the A2. :p I had a chance to ride the bike a few times with the forks as is (on backwards) and after fixing them the bike rides totally different now, and for the better. It made the front end just a bit higher (by an inch or two) and narrowed the wheel base as well. My guess is this change in height shifts my body weight back some and not only is it more comfortable to ride, but it just feels a lot more safe and balanced at higher speeds.

I have to say the picture thread on this site has helped a lot in learning how these things are supposed to be put together. That's how I found out about the forks and also how the rear brake goes together. If you look closely in the picture I posted you can see they had the rear brake attached to the rear fairing mount. *** is that all about, I have no idea but it's fixed now. The previous owner is lucky they didn't mangle themselves riding this thing, or hmm, maybe they did and that's why they were put up for auction? Who knows, I've got a couple computers I need to go fix so I can get back to playing with my new toys :D. I'll post back later with further progress. Also, thanks again for everyone's welcome, it's really nice being a part of something that has an active forum community.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts