Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. I'm new to this site and I apologize if this is the wrong place to post my questions. I recently bought what I think is a Cat Eye pocket bike from a garage sale for next to nothing. I was told the engine works fine but it obviously need some other work done. I have absolutly no experience with pocket bikes at all. It was just kinda of an impluse buy and I'd like to get it up and running and have some fun.

I'm not looking to do any unnecessary mods or even to restore it to it original condition. I really just want to simplify everything and get it running. I dont need to have headlights, tail lights etc. I know for a fact that the starter needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if it is originally wired for an electric starter, that would be nice, but a pull start would work fine as well. I took off the plastic housing and some photos with notes on them. Hopfully I can get some insight on how to fix this thing cheap and effectively. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Seeings your bike is a lil beat up and most of the parts are either busted and such i would go with the easier fix for the time being just to get it running first......To do that you need to do the following.............

remove the e-starter http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/showthread.php?t=58861

remove the battery and all the wiring...........its not really needed

get a gs moon pullstarter and starter pawl

get a stock exhaust box or performance rev pipe exhaust

remove the transmission and service the clutches aswell as check the flywheel /pickup coil for rust,,clean them up and gap to .020"

The engine will fire up just like a weedeater and doesnt need the wiring to run.......The battery / switches and wiring are for the e-starter system aswell as gauges and lighting and are more trouble than they are worth....Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. The e-starter removal guide seem pretty clear. although i have no idea how to: remove the transmission and service the clutches aswell as check the flywheel /pickup coil for rust,,clean them up and gap to .020". Like I said, I have no experience when it comes to this stuff. So all of the wiring can go? even wires attached to the engine?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Thanks for the tips. The e-starter removal guide seem pretty clear. although i have no idea how to: remove the transmission and service the clutches aswell as check the flywheel /pickup coil for rust,,clean them up and gap to .020". Like I said, I have no experience when it comes to this stuff. So all of the wiring can go? even wires attached to the engine?
The two wires coming from the engine case can be hooked into the wires coming from the starter pushbutton to make a killswitch out of it.................

The transmission is on the rightside of the engine and the best way to remove it at times is to remove the engine totally but can be done with the engine attached also.......Its also good to take 100 grit sandpaper and deglaze the clutchpads and clutchbell

Any rust any oxidation should be cleaned off.............The right side has been cleaned and lightly polished to prevent re-oxidation that causes clutchpad sticking

Back together all modded

It would also be a good time to mod the flywheel aswell as throwing in a rocket key..............I clipped 3/8" off the tips of mine with a hacksaw and a hand file..........

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I (like lots of others) pulled the battery and almost all the electrical off of the bike, we race in parking lots, the thing is never gonna be street legal, the lights are a joke (really dim) !!!

Plus, Imagine how much easier the bike is to work on when it's all mechanical, and the only electrical is the kill switch and the coil / spark plug!!!!

Nick.

ps

What's up with the whole Elephant Mouth thing?!?!?!!? Do you eat lots of plants and hate mice?!?!? :p :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Haha, I'd like to think that I hate plants and eat mice! Honestly I don't know what elephantmoth means, i think I heard an old recording of Charles Bukowski say it in one of his drunken rants.

Anyways, just to clarify the work to be done in the next few days:

1) Strip the bike of all wiring (control box, battery) with the exception of the two wires coming out from the engine that need to be connected to kill switch.

2) Remove electric starter

3)remove and clean tranny/clutch and install rocket key (what does the rocket key do exactly?)

Now, for the part list to order:

rocket key
gs moon pullstarter and starter pawl (for 49cc?)
stock exhaust box
spark plug

Where do you recommend I purchase these things? I've looked at a few online stores but some of them seem a bit sketchy.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Haha, I'd like to think that I hate plants and eat mice! Honestly I don't know what elephantmoth means, i think I heard an old recording of Charles Bukowski say it in one of his drunken rants.

Anyways, just to clarify the work to be done in the next few days:

1) Strip the bike of all wiring (control box, battery) with the exception of the two wires coming out from the engine that need to be connected to kill switch.

2) Remove electric starter

3)remove and clean tranny/clutch and install rocket key (what does the rocket key do exactly?)

Now, for the part list to order:

rocket key
gs moon pullstarter and starter pawl (for 49cc?)
stock exhaust box
spark plug

Where do you recommend I purchase these things? I've looked at a few online stores but some of them seem a bit sketchy.
The elephant moth is a plant killing caterpillar that evolves into an elephantlike texture moth that does the rest by laying more eggs to make more destroyers of live plants...................

The rocket key can probably still be purchased from Daves discount motors...If not scanning ebay fpr the best deals and going by feedback is important........

Heres what a gsmoon pawl looks like............

In addition to the rocket key a boost bottle setup aswell as port the intake for flow will also do good at making performance...
I make mine homemade out of brass fittings and some Co2 canisters

Theres two other routes you can go for induction mods..........One is mod the stock carb to make performance or add a Walbro WT603 hp carb and mod the intake so it works..........

To mod the stock carb you remove the lowspeed needle and just add a pointed tip to it....Just the very tip...Youre not tapering the needle youre just taking away the flat blunt tip....

Then buy a quality stens carb rebuild kit for a walbro wyk series carb and use the transparent ones in the kit....the transparent ones have quicker more precise action over the black and overly stiff blue ones.............Then you can use a dremel to mod the barrel to get rid of the lip at WOT on both ends aswell as the carb air inlet mouth

For power mods you can remove the head and yamabond it down to the engine without a basegasket to raise compression.............you can also raise aswell as widen the exhaust port to gain revs.......................

Deburring and Polishing key parts adds vital uumph aswell.........

After them mods your cateye will top out quick aswell as fly pretty fast................

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, great. Thanks for all this info. You kinda lost me at the end there, but I think I have a good idea what i need to do first. Starter/claw and exhuast, just to get this thing running. I found a site called www.scooterpartsrus.com. I'll post a link to my shopping cart below, would you mind checking to make sure that these parts are correct and will fit my bike? the starter claw is a bit different from the pic you posted. It's not round like yours. More rectangular with rounded edges. As soon as I hear back for you I'll make the order. Thanks again, you guys have been a huge help.

Shopping cart:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...737ba21b08198227acaf63b39d7a7758cfec92c4fedc4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts