Pocketbike Forum banner

New guy here

3K views 36 replies 3 participants last post by  MiniPilot 
#1 ·
hey all,
I seriously as of a few months ago started looking into getting a pocket bike to ride. They look like so much fun! I don't have a whole lot of money since I have a really nasty track day addiction (GSXR 600 @ Mid Ohio/Nelson Ledges mostly). Plus I can't leave anything stock...,...,...I just can't do it.
I'll get to the point now...
I bought one of those GP RSR bikes from minipocketrockets.com. I already know it's some cheap, chinese POS with a sorry little 4 stroke/40cc knock off motor on it. I kind of don't care, it'll be my first pocket bike & I want to get a feel for this whole "minimoto" thing.
I've been looking around for stuff (clutches, carbs, slicks, etc,etc,etc) on the web & i've been lead here a couple times. So I signed up & wanted to say "hi".

I haven't got the bike as of yet, it was just ordered yesterday. However, if any of you have any good tips for these things, I'm all ears. I'm definitely going to go through the entire bike before riding it. I've read some kind of sketchy stuff about the condition of some of these bikes upon delivery. Other than that, I can't wait to get started doing this, I think it'll help keep my skills "sharpened" off season!

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the site and yep pocketbikes are a load of fun although I would of gotten a 4 stroke superbike to keep the skillz sharp....

Good luck dealing with MPR and getting 100% satisfaction from them...…..[Have you checked out our supplier info section?]

You could of bought a better quality used 2 stroke pocketbike and built it up but to each his own and congrats on the purchase...….

Those 40cc 4 stroke bikes top out at 20mph and theres no go fast parts for them other than a v-stack with hp airfilter as the 40cc engine that comes on them is just a tool based engine from a brushcutter/auger etc so if youre experienced with tools like weedeaters/backpack blowers you wont be far off..

Theres guys on the DIY motorized bike forums going full bore on mods with very little leeway on obtaining extra power and that's because of the even length opening of the camshaft on both intake and exhaust valves with way too much overlap in the scavenge action between the exhaust stroke and the intake to produce a broad torque curve and limit highend revs..

The engine is going to be very EPA friendly with a massively restricted exhaust and a non adjustable 10mm WYK series pumper carb with zero adjustments to tune it in....Bumping up the compression does very little for obtaining extra power too...

Youll need to uncork the ehaust,mod the intake and put a 15mm carb on it to get it to 23-24mph....To get it higher youll need stiffer valvesprings,,regrind the camshaftlobes , nump-up the compression and add a freeflowing exhaust that's just a 8-10" wide open header pipe.....

I suggest getting 3ft of 2mm internal diameter pumper carb fuelline to put on the return line too as the bike will simply squirt fuel right onto the ground when the primer bulb is pressed....[How EPA friendly is that?...LOL]

Alls I can say is follow the directions in the owners manual as far as taking care of the bike like adjusting the brakes and airing -up the tires etc......

First thing Id do is remove the mineral oil used for shipping and put good high quality conventional motor oil in it for break-in

After you ride it for the first time and get used to the 20mph topspeed youll be back looking for more power and speed.....

Take care til then and Good luck with MPR and their phoney promises and b/s no-hassel warranty.........

#3 · (Edited)
Hey Cam,

I did look around for some used pocket bikes and came up empty handed. I also believe I'll end up getting something else. I just got it cause it was cheap & I can use it for what it's worth, for a while. I however have a GoPed sport that I stuck G230RC on, so I've got a WT-163 (I think it's a 163) carb sitting in the garage that I could use. I also was thinking of making a custom exhaust for the bike.
Seriously my thing was "cheap fun" for a short while with this thing. There were some rather pricey options out there & I know they'd be good, but I'm also just coming out of track day season so the bank account doesn't look that great at the moment.
Hopefully the bike doesn't show up in terrible shape (I've seen a few PO'd customers), but if it's not, I'm not worried about it. I've got a pretty well equipped garage (NO ONE ever lays a finger on any of my vehicles/motorcycles/scooters/etc). So if I need to fix a few things on my POS $300.00 pocket bike, I'll just do it & not bat an eye.
I also was "kind of" looking to see if I could swap the motor out on this thing. Without much info on the engine (4 stroke Honda clone) & not actually having the bike as of yet, it's hard to say if that would work at the moment. I was thinking a nice 2 stroke 4.2HP (GP460) from DDM might be nicer on the pocket bike than the "4 stroke honda clone" that's probably 1.? HP.
I appreciate you writing & I'll be around here, for sure.
Thanks again for the welcome
Randall

#5 · (Edited)
Oh I understand fully where youre coming from.....Once you have the bike in your posession youll get the full gist..Back when they first came out as 2 strokers they were $169.00/$237.00 shipped........

Now theyre almost twice the price and half the quality and twice the trouble maintaining/modifying and tuning them.....

The 40cc 4 stroke engine is roughly 1.5-2hp................

The bike pictured is an X15 110cc 4 stroke superbike.................

That was my streetlegal cruiser.....I also had an X15 dragbike..

I even had the little ones too...………All are far from stock too,,,,Some are custom homemade builds aswell..

#6 ·
LOL, I just did a little digging around and thought that was an X15 or somewhere was listed as a "Raptor 110cc" bike. I like that it's got a full suspension on it.
I am going to mess around with this cheap bike for a while, but honestly, I'm going to end up selling it when I get a better pocket bike.
Not going to lie, I do like that 90cc X15 "Ducati" pocket bike (I hate Ducatis by the way). It looks nice! Since it's not an actual Ducati, I'd rock that thing all day. It's a really good looking pocket bike!

#8 · (Edited)
Hey Cam2,
I think somehow we "missed" each other on that last one. I know that 90cc X15 isn't an actual Ducati, it just has bodywork modeled after a Ducati. I just thought it was a cool bike & was asking your opinion on it. Or would the actual Beneli be a better choice?
Sorry for the confusion
By the way, that's a nice collection of little bikes, you've got.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks one day back in 1999 I started with 1 and by 2010 I amassed quite a bit of them...

The X15's are 2007 models and both are 110cc.....The newer models are 90cc

I think we might of missed on the point...I wasn't looking for confrontation...It was just a plain and simple statement...In any event its a moot point given the fact you bought a GP-RSR but I thought Id put the fact out there that if you really want to keep the skillz sharp you should of bought a superpocketbike as youre gonna have to literally suitcase yourself onto that GP-RSR in a Lotus style riding position with elbows tucked behind the knees which is unlike any crotch rocket Ive ridden and raced myself......….

Heres a shot of the rear of the X15 for further id...…...The only difference is the Chinese run the exhaust through where the radiator fans duct the heat through on the real Benelli...

Im pretty sure you have the X19 mixed up with the X15 as the X19 and the X15 share the same frame but slightly dfferent bodykits/exhausts and the X19 has the bodykit of a certain Ducati model Im pretty sure...It could be Aprilla too...Im too lazy to find my notes on the models the Chinese ripped their pocketbike bodykit styles from but yes Ill agree theyre definitely pretty cool to blast around on as youll soon find out......

It could aswell be this model too...This ones my old X18 stuntbike...

Take care man and I hope all goes very seamlessly with the delivery and sucessful uncrating of your new acquisition and finding it undamaged ready to prep and ride......

Keep us posted so we can officially Welcome you into the rite of being a bona-fide pocketbike owner also mark the day when the pocketbike addiction officially starts for you...Im already too far gone for rehab..LOL

BTW.....Do you have any pics of the bike you race?

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
This isn't working out for some reason. I haven't posted pictures from my comp to a forum in a long time (4 years ago) & I don't remember how to do this. I think I chose a few random pictures of my race bike.

OK, first picture is of the day I finished my bike (08 GSXR 600 race bike build) & the day before we had left for Barber Motorsports Park (April 2016).
Second picture was the following year, (after crashing at mid ohio the summer before,see primer on bodywork over my repairs) I was at Pittsburg International Race Complex
Last picture was Mid Ohio, turn 7 (before I binned the bike a few weeks later in the carousel). That picture is one of my favorites because the white bike directly behind is my friend Josh & the black/gold bike behind him is my friend Bing

These are old pictures, idk why all of my photos aren't in iCloud photos. I fixed the bike last winter, new bodywork, gas tank, new exhaust, valve adjustment, etc, etc. The bike now has a stock White/Silver tank on it with unpainted Motoforza bodywork which doesn't look bad, its finished in white gelcoat. I'll get some other pictures of it posted up.

Attachments

#11 ·
This isn't working out for some reason. I haven't posted pictures from my comp to a forum in a long time (4 years ago) & I don't remember how to do this. I think I chose a few random pictures of my race bike.

OK, first picture is of the day I finished my bike (08 GSXR 600 race bike build) & the day before we had left for Barber Motorsports Park (April 2016).
Second picture was the following year, 9after crashing at mid ohio the summer before,see primer on bodywork over my repairs) I was at Pittsburg International Race Complex
Last picture was Mid Ohio, turn 7 (before I binned the bike a few weeks later in the carousel). That picture is one of my favorites because the white bike directly behind is my friend Josh & the black/gold bike behind him is my friend Bing
Very cool and pretty sweet...……..I think youre definitely in for quite an experience with this hobby especially with friends that are competitive..…….LOL

#12 ·
Yeah man,
I'm seriously super excited to get started with this one. One of my brothers ordered the same bike as me (different color though) at pretty much the same time. We plan on a few parking lots & definitely Circleville Raceway Park (go cart track about 40-45 minutes from me). I prefer the go cart track all day.

#14 ·
Just some random pictures. This is way easier to do on my phone. This is my 2008 GSXR 600 as she sits now. Over the winter I did a bunch of stuff to get it where it needed to be to continue on as my “track weapon”.
Replaced smashed gas tank (yellow/silver/black) with “new to me”, not smashed gas tank (white/silver)
Fitted new Motoforza race bodywork. The white gelcoat works nice since my painter (614 Paintworx) dodged me all season long.
I installed a new set of Samco coolant hoses.
Performed a badly needed valve adjustment.
Rolocked my brake rotors to run Vesra pads (previously EBC HH)
Replaced my old smashed Yoshimura TRC muffler with a new Yoshimura R-55
Removed radiator to give her a good thorough cleaning.
Installed a new set of Pitbull sprockets & a new RK racing chain.
Of course I mounted/balanced a new set of Dunlop Q4s also.
As always, everything that came off of the bike was thoroughly cleaned and/or polished before going back onto the bike. Any areas exposed that I normally don’t get into was also cleaned. I’m a little OCD...
No suspension refresh this time around. I always do my forks myself, I however have to send out my shock as I don’t have everything needed to do that yet. It would probably help if I quit buying stuff all the time and doing every track day I can (I’ve been hooked since day 1).
I also included a picture of my trusty little GoPed Sport with a G230RC motor I put on her this year (it’s pretty sketchy at top speed!!!)

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
That bike of yours looks pretty cool redone....That yellow black and silver scheme was pretty hot looking too...

I used to race streetbike class at my local track before it became a golf course...I used to dabble in a few different bikes n classes from time to time....I even raced motocross and jr aswell as unlimted outlaw class racekarts…….

I ran my modified 1985 Suzuki GS550E in the 600 class also ran my 01 Suzuki GSXR1000 in the 1k class....I even ran them on the street tires...LOL

The year I got my BMW S1000R and GSXR750 the track closed down........

A couple years ago I took an 89 CBR600 F4i with like a million miles on and gave it some USD forks from an 03 954 slapped on an 04 CBR 600 tail and did something to a vintage engine that nobody has ever seen or heard of.....

It revs just as high as the newer models built with the dual plane crank setups and snappier than an NHRA dragbike............…

The muffler is on there for appearance for the police...Its got a straightpipe run through it....LOL

Heres a short clip of when it was first started up.....

https://flic.kr/p/HeTJvv

This is one of my many scooters Ive owned...This ones built out of bits n pieces of other things then modified to break the world record of 64.4mph with a scooter with twin GD460 engines....It had a best of 62mph before giving up the ghost......LOL

This is when it was slightly slower at 49mph with modded 49cc 1pc cylinder and CVT trans tuned on methanol......

This is the engine that took it to better heights in picture 1...…..

Attachments

#16 ·
Hey Cam2,
I watched that video while I was taking a break earlier today. That thing sounds mean!!! I like what you did with the bike, nice build man!
Did you do the paint work? It looks really nice.
65MPH is crazy on a scooter! Was it stable at that speed or sketchy AF? I've never used anything to check actual speed on mine. I know that it's very sketchy at top speed & when theres a car in front of me on a 25MPH neighborhood street, the closing speed isn't a joke.
That really sucks that your local track shut down! I'd be a really sad guy if Mid Ohio or Nelson Ledges shut down. Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking? What was the track that shut down?
I appreciate you sharing your toys, you've got some cool stuff!

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks alot and yes I do everything when it comes to customizing things.....It cuts down on costs and confusion plus eliminates downtime.....LOL

For the scooter blazing the streets at 60+ heck yeah it was pretty sketchy good thing mine is alil longer than the average scooter and a rigid rider so that helped alot in handling........

I live in NY on LI and lived literally 10 minutes away from the track........Only track local thats left involves traveling 4 hours each way is in upstate NY and Ive got much more things to do than waste an entire weekend doing the majority of it driving because I did that venture when I was MX racing in Unadilla......LOL

One track was called Bridge Hampton where you can rent the track for events and the other the Long island Motorsports Park.......The quarter mile track in West Hampton closed too creating big problems in that area for me aswell....

#18 · (Edited)
Its easy to make the adapter just by using a dab of JB Weld.....

You just fill in the lower teardrop shaped part and the purge ports line rightup on the same manifold.......Its harder to go the other way around.....

As far as slicks look into 6.5" Vee rubber race tires through Vee tires direct....Theres PMT too but getting them in the states without waiting on overseas shipments and paying duties if applicable....

Theres a member here named Chrisi that maybe able to help you on that request..

As far as the gearing you can get that from ebay or amazon...……..You first need to know when the bike arrives if its equipped with a #25 chain or a Tf-8mm before ordering.....Keyword is 47cc pocketbike sprockets....

#19 · (Edited)
Yeah...chain size is definitely a thing, probably have to wait for the sprockets.
I looked at the PMT slicks & then read that they're a pain to get here (US). Then also seen somewhere selling 110/50/6.5s for like $55.00 a set (LOL, doesn't sound like a set of slicks I want!). Vee rubber it is for those.
I can probably go ahead and get myself a WT603 from DDM
Thank you!

#21 ·
DUDE!
My Fiance's family (they're my family too, I love them all) lives in Long island. We'll be around there for thanksgiving. We wanted to go before that (for the warmer weather) & drive up to Montauk again (it's what we do when we're there).
Last year when we went, Lisa (my fiancé) "shut" the hotel room door on the way to her aunt's house. we get a phone call about 45 minutes later & for some reason I knew it was for us & had something to do with the dog. Sure enough, it's the hotel, Luke dog (100lb Bouvier) is running around on Jherico Parkway. It was not good at the moment, I think it's funny now.
Anyway, good stuff!
Closest track for you now is probably NYST, huh?.?.?.?

#28 ·
Pretty sweet , funny story and small world....Montauk Pt is a part of american history as it was full of fortified bunkers that were used to protect the south fork of LI against attacks in WW1 and WW2.....

You can still go into a small majority of them...Most have been consumed by the sea in the years since I started going there as a kid about 40 years ago...,,,,,,,,

#22 · (Edited)
Ok,
I'm looking for "Vee rubber 110/50/6.5 slicks" & coming up empty handed. Any good lines on where to get these? Or are these the tires I'm finding that don't show the name for around $30.00 each?
midsouthminimoto has PMT tires in all compounds, around $80-$95 each. Since this GP RSR is low powered, even though I'm technically going to be "racing" it, would the "B compound, street/non race" be a bad idea?
Also, do I have to run tubes or can I run tubeless?
That/these might be stupid questions but once again, I'm new at the mini moto scene & i don't really know much about it as of yet. Which of course is compounded by the fact that I don't actually have the thing in my possession.
Once again, thanks in advance

Randall

#25 · (Edited)
Like I stated that certain brand tires would be pretty hard to find now that the sport has declined heavily....PMT tires are good too ….

As far as the compound type I wouldn't overthink it too much as the bike tops out at 20mph.....Those PMT race tires keep 5-16hp European watercooled models pretty planted to the track at speeds about twice of what the GP-RSR can produce...

On the subject of inner tubes......With the top speed the bike can produce its really not worth putting an inner tube in the rear as youre probably gonna need the max tire pressure the tire can handle....You would only put an innertube if you plan on running lower tire pressures to expand the tires contact patch on the track...…...

Good Luck

#26 ·
Its a 20mph pocketbike with 1.5hp not a 45mph Euro with 12hp...

You should know;- your neighbor got one.....Theres hardly a wrong tire compound type to pick going those speeds except maybe for extra soft....

Even the stock tires will be able to perform at those speeds...........LOL

#24 ·
Hey Mrkitty,

I just got booted after I wrote a response for some reason (site or internet).
I picked up a set of PMT T41 110/55/6.5 & 90/65/6.5. I believe I'll be good to go. They're either going to work really well or I'm going to be picking myself up off of the pavement (again).
I looked into OMRL & they only race Groms, "supermotos/motards", they don't have a pocket bike class at all. I also haven't found any other organization that even races pocket bikes around here. So I don't think I can really go "check things out" anywhere. It's going to be me, my brother(s) & a friend or 2 buying track time at CRP ($10 ride all day).
If you've got tire suggestions and/or organizations that I don't know about...,...,...I want to know about them & I'm all ears.
Maybe I should start a thread about running pocket bikes at CRP...

#30 ·
MAN!!! That’s a nasty neck injury! Also it happened on what appears to be a really nasty little PB!

I have bad thoughts, but I have a thought.
These are tool based motors. So I can get a Predator 3HP motor from harbor freight & smack on this pocket bike to make it a little better of a bike.?.?.?.?.?
Slicks are on the way already & I already plan on sprockets when I find out chain size.
I think I can turn this into a better “track weapon” for sure.
Idk for sure that the 3HP will bolt up & accept the gear reduction or not. Worse case scenario, I buy the 3HP, bring it home, pull the stocker out of the bike & see what happens. If it doesn’t work, I take the motor back. If it does...,...,...UPGRADE!!! Then I can change the carb/exhaust out on the 3HP, upgrade again!
Thoughts???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.