Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Here's the story. My cousin stopped by with basket case pocket bike he picked up for $300. I told him not to get it but he did.
My history is, I know a bit about motorcycles. I got a 81 Honda GL1100, 78 Honda cx500, and a 83 Honda CR480R.
He brought it by cause he doesn't know anything about bikes and wanted me to look at it. I have zero experience with pocket bikes.
So this is what we got. It's Buyang. The plastics on the tank and tail section say speed no.1 Here's the frame plate

We don't know what size motor it is. I can tell you it's 4stroke with electric start.
It is missing a ton of parts! It has a newer or used motor cause the original has a cracked case which we have as well. The carb is brand new but it needed cleaning. Once I went through the carb it fired right up and idles good with excellent throttle response. One of the problems is I can't for the life of me find where the clutch release is!!! The left side pedal assembly for the clutch is gone as well as the linkage. The bike is stuck in 2nd or atleast I think it is since that's what the gauge says.

But where the hell is the friggin clutch cable or linkage attach to the motor??!!!!
I can't see it anywhere!!
So here's some more pict of this junk.

Also the linkage for the rear brake master cylinder is hangin from the plunger. I didn't even bother to look at that yet.
But any help would be greatly appreciateted!!!!
I pretty sure he got screwed on this deal. Our plan isn't to get it back to stock but atleast make it ridable and maybe sell it. I got enough skills that I can make levers and linkage but I can't figure where to start.
Please help!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like there's a few options for this bike. I don't see any clutch or shifter linkage but the gauge is reading 2. There is no chain and when the motor is runnin the sprocket on the motor starts spinnin right away. I'm guessing it could just by auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Looks like it is a x19. Glad to see it has a auto or manual. Looks like this is the auto and maybe there's something messed with the electronics and that why the cluster is reading 2. I need to get a chain on this then ill start doin some perf mods, clean it up, and paint it.

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,304 Posts
I'm not too familiar with those... Wheels or CAM2 can probablly shed more light.. Its gotta be Auto and think its spinning becasue the chain isnt on and it has no load..

Should be a fun project and $300 isnt too bad if it ends up running strong and the auto clutch works...

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea that's what I'm hoping. I told my cuz to get a master link for the chain. Also the twist throttle grip assembly is gone. I just got the cable so probably just rig that up with a brake lever off a bike for now. Once I got it runin good yesterday my cuz had to leave so I told him to take the bike with him so it ain't takin up space in my garage. I've been surfin the forum a bit today and now all I want to do is mess with that bike now :-(
Once I get the chain on and confirm its workin fine then I'll chop up the muffler and clean up the weld on the exhaust pipe. Then look at the carb again and maybe cut down the plastic slide to get more air flow.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bike doesn't look too bad, its definitely in need of a right foot peg mounting bracket. Looks like an auto, not seeing the shift shaft on the engine. You will get more air flow by replacing the stock airbox. Have fun with the project.

Happy New Year All

Hugh
SDscooters

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How sensitive are the carbs to intake and exhaust changes?
Could I gut the mufflers and put a small filter right on the carb with out having to change jets?
If it does run like crap with the changes then what is a good start with better jets?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.