Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into some pocket bikes and i found three that i think might be good. Here they are: Mplay Pocket Bike, Blade pocket bike or the GP MX3 pocket bike. I would like to know if they reliable or if there just junk. Get back to me as soon as you can. Thanks! :D

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Which site did you see those bikes on? Just for reference, the Blade and the MX3 are generally the same bike ....

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
To be dead honest, no matter what you buy, it's going to need some regular maintenance. How long it lasts depends on how you treat it and how you maintain it. A well-maintained bike is going to last longer than one that's used as a "beater."

(Hmmm ..... that MPlay looks like a Lucky 7 frame ... Guys, check this out, tell me what you think. Is that an L7 with a different name?)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well what i was trying to say was like are they just bikes that wont even start out of the box or like will they actually start and work.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Pretty much, yes, you can start them right out of the box. In general, though, you want to go over the bike first before starting it to make sure all the bolts are right and tight, nothing is broken or missing ... stuff like that. One of the "tools" you may need right off the bat is a can of starting fluid, as sometimes when the bike is first started, it won't - it needs that little extra to get it going. Sometimes you can also pour a little gas/oil down the spark plug hole and get it to fire that way, too. Main thing is patience, amigo ...

More than likely, the carburetor will need to be adjusted - THIS IS NORMAL, and will probably be the main work that you will need to do to the bike besides checking the bolts. As plainly as i can put it, the carbs on these Chinese bikes are a pain in the butt, and you will get a LOT of practice tearing one down for cleaning. (I can't even remember how many Cag carbs I've taken down ....)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so pretty much you are saying any pocket bike will work if i do that? And just so i know do you recommend me any sites that sell good pocket bikes and wont like rip me off or something because i hear a lot of bad things about some sites.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Welcome to the forum...........

People are selling pocketbikes really cheap on craigslist..Who knows you may get two for under the price of one brand new ...............

Theres no guarantees to it running straight out of the box with the real cheap models......

I wouldnt just pull it out of the box gas it up and just ride it anyway...........You could do alot of damage to the brakes,clutch and chain....The newest cags built arent put together the best although the welds have improved;;;so has the frame paint..........The thickness of the steel tubing for the frame seems to be thinner though which concerns me a bit..............

First thing I would do is order an all aluminum pullstarter......Yours will most likely break within a week...This way when it breaks you can simply switch it over instead of waiting or using a drill to start it....

They put a restrictor in the throttle and add lots of slack to the cable so you dont notice the restrictor and the throttle only opening 3/4.............Below is a couple pics of the throttle governor/restrictor...

The brake caliper brackets needed tweaking and the calipers needed aligning to stop the pads dragging the rotor for no reason......The brakes will also have to be adjusted for grab......Nick our forum Admin has a sweet tutorial on how to adjust them an another members thread.............

The cable cap on top of the carb was installed loose and the engine wasnt totally lined up parallel to the rear sprocket using a laser........It was shifted 3/16" too much towards the pullstarter side so I redrilled the mounts and now the cag rolls like butter

The chain needs lube...also make sure the chain has plenty of slack...If not the clutchbell bearing will be burned up real quick

The tires need air

The handlebar hardware needs to be gone over with loctite plus a proper torque check on the screws and nuts aswell as the rest of the hardware also

Pull the carb off to check the float is set right and to perform the petcock mod and upgrade the fuellines to 1/4" plus add a 1/4" in-line fuel shutoff

Check to make sure the sparkplug gap is .030" and the coil is properly gapped to .020"

It seems like alot of work but its the best insurance against busted parts and missing screws youll be paying for to replace.........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! And Just for reference, what kind of pocket bike do you have? I see a lot of pictures of Peoples bikes on here that are really nice and I just don't know what type they are

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
I have a few pocketbikes and such,,,,,Most are modded for performance........

MT-A1 half fairing reed inducted engine cags......The Mt-A2's have full fairings which I dont like on something so small and in need of so much tuning...........This bike is considered a midimoto.....

MT-A1 half fairing Zenoah powered cag........Under construction.............

Polini 910 6.2hp watercooled...this bike is considered a minimoto

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
These are my X-1's..These are considered midbikes...

In this pic with my other X-1's are My X-15,X-22,,2 X-1's,,33cc modded standup scooter,,,mini trike of death homebuilt and oldschool drag minibike

X-15 and X-18....... They are considered Superbikes aswell as the X-22

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
I dont have too many...Do I..?Some in this pic dont exist anymore but I have others to replace them.........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like that green x1 with the monster sticker. Is it bigger than than the blue one at the top? I've heard that the x15 I think is more of a size like a real race bike.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
In general:
-minimoto - 1/4 scale motorcycle
-midbike - 1/2 scale motorcycle
-superbike - 3/4 scale motorcycle

I think CAM2 has owned at least one of everything during the time he's been on here ... and I don't just mean the different scales of bikes, I literally mean one of every kind of bike or scooter there is. Trust me, when this dude tells you something, listen. He knows what he's talking about.

CAM2, am very interested in your Zenoah-powered Cag. Is that the engine that came off one of your stand-up scooters? I've been thinking about doing the same with an MX3 frame I had laying around .... What transmission are you using for it - the one that was on the engine, or a Cag clutch bell?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So can you mod all three of the types of pb's? Can you get body fairings for Pb's or are you just stuck with it. Do the bikes have gears and a clutch? Are the three sizes different in hp and speed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are there any bikes that are like USA made or Canadian made or European made that might be higher end or work better than the like Chinese made bikes? If so please send me a link to a website.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
A: Yes, very much so. <-- That used to be a stock Cag/Daytona before I started working on it, and CAM2 doesn't know what "stock" means anymore ...

B: Yes, you can find all types of body fairings online for your particular bike.

C: Depends on the bike. Some are simple twist-and-go with an automatic clutch and no gears, others have clutches and manual transmissions.

D: Yes. All three have a wide range of speeds and power, but there's too many different ones to list. If you want to know about a certain bike, let us know, and we'll give you a general idea of how big it is, what size engine it has (stock), and approximately how fast it will run.

E: There are a lot of Chinese-made bikes around that are not the greatest of quality. Those will be your cheaper bikes, and will be the ones seen most often. (You can also occasionally find used pb's on craigslist - for the most part, they will be Cags.) For a true European-made bike, you're looking at a very high quality race-only bike, and a hefty price tag (like two grand and up).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts