Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, just joined and i just have a few questions for the experts. I just bought an X-7 yesterday and as far as i know its stock? i weigh about 145 and its soooo slow taking off... What can i do to make it faster both acceleration and of course top speed? Is there governers, exhaust, any tips would be great. Links and pictures are welcome.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First and for most! WELCOME!

i was in the same exact situation 3 yrs ago. and first thing i learned on these bikes is that their a little tricky to get goin...(make faster) and will need tons of time and $$. i never really figured out really figured out a way to increase acceleration and speed at the same time. but heres my thoughts.

for acceleration the biggest mod i did that put out a huge improvement is the gearing. i change the front sprocket to 11t from stock 17t and the thing launches quick not like a rocket! But quick. the only problem is that i lost about 2-3mph on my top end.

for top speed i did alot. Hp carb and jets. fatty pipe. Hp filter. bigger wheels. ngk spark plug. ignition. rocket key. lighten fly wheel. and gutted the whole bike. ditch all the electrical junk lol. i gain some speed by doing this but not that much i was going maybe 40 on flat road and sometimes 45 downhill.

im my opinion if you want to gain huge torque and hp. drop a 6.5 clone in it. thats what i did hehe. its really not that hard and its alot cheaper than modding these 2strokes.

good luck!

·
PBP RACER
143 Posts
pull the governors, swap the intake, carb, exhaust, and run a boost bottle.

and like kong said, lose the electronics. they just draw power off your engine and slow you down. the battery alone is like an extra 10 lbs.

·
PBP RACER
143 Posts
One thing you'll need to keep in mind when building, and especially when picking gear ratios, is that you balance your acceleration against your top speed. Gearing for torque will hurt your top speed, and gearing for top speed will slow your acceleration. It's best to figure out where you'll be riding it the most and gear it to be most effective there.

As for your current situation. I have the same exact bike as you but with a bunch of upgrades. I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs, MUCH heavier than you, and the bike will pull pretty hard with me on it with the stock gearing. So much so that I'm about to swap to a 44 tooth rear sprocket and 14t pinion to up the top speed without *hopefully* damaging the torque too badly.

When you pick a carb, go with a Walbro with an accelerator pump...for your bike it'd be the WT813. Eliminates low throttle bogging, a boost bottle will also help and with my stock set up I remember bogging being a pretty big issue. You have a good engine tho, there are a lot of really effective modifications you can do to pull a surprising amount of power out of that Zenoah engine. Keep us posted and ask lots of questions. We were all where you are at once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are the governers located? i looked in the handle and that half circle piece is non existant.

pull the governors, swap the intake, carb, exhaust, and run a boost bottle.

and like kong said, lose the electronics. they just draw power off your engine and slow you down. the battery alone is like an extra 10 lbs.

·
PBP RACER
143 Posts
Depending on what year it was built it may or may not have one. The two most common are the handle one, and the carb governor. Mine did not have either, but from my understanding if you take the filter cover off and look at the carb there should be a screw with a piece of plastic on the left side that keeps the throttle from opening fully. Unscrew it, remove the plastic piece, and replace the screw. It's in the FAQ section of www.minipocketrockets.com I've also heard of an exhaust governor that was put on some of the bikes with a spring around the end of the exhaust but I don't know how to undo that one as it didn't come on my bike.

The easiest way to make sure you got all of the "combustion forward" governors is to take your carb out (with the throttle still attached) and turn it. If the barrel opens to 90 degrees and there is no obstruction then it wouldn't matter whether there is a governor or not since there's no way more air/fuel can be pumped thru.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Depending on what year it was built it may or may not have one. The two most common are the handle one, and the carb governor. Mine did not have either, but from my understanding if you take the filter cover off and look at the carb there should be a screw with a piece of plastic on the left side that keeps the throttle from opening fully. Unscrew it, remove the plastic piece, and replace the screw. It's in the FAQ section of www.minipocketrockets.com I've also heard of an exhaust governor that was put on some of the bikes with a spring around the end of the exhaust but I don't know how to undo that one as it didn't come on my bike.

The easiest way to make sure you got all of the "combustion forward" governors is to take your carb out (with the throttle still attached) and turn it. If the barrel opens to 90 degrees and there is no obstruction then it wouldn't matter whether there is a governor or not since there's no way more air/fuel can be pumped thru.
well done. no one could explain it better than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks a million guys. That really did help. Hopefully if it doesnt rain like yesterday i can check that out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts