Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my threads start out the same I'm going to be taking this brand new engine and modify it to do some performance oriented pocket bike riding...

I think I'll set the budget on this build at 60$ that will give me some wiggle room to buy some performance parts on this build if I want...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
For the very first modification and the modification that should be first on any of these CAGs is the high fuel flow mod AKA the petcock delete mod on this one I'm going to be removing everything the rubber part and the white plastic knob and filling it with JB weld then drilling it out.

the petcock itself and the little rubber o-ring on the bottom are the only parts you need the rest are rubbish!

This will give it a nice clean look...

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a new engine in storage. I should start to modify it. Cool thing is the squish as I received it was 0.047" good start there.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a new engine in storage. I should start to modify it. Cool thing is the squish as I received it was 0.047" good start there.
Sounds like a nice fresh canvas to start out with...

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After the JB weld hardens go ahead and drill all the way through the petcock

Now there's no more worries about the petcock getting half turned off causing fuel starvation making the engine detonate and burn a hole through the piston

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took off the carby for modifications and can easily see tons of manufacturing debri this is why it's important to clean out the carburetor before you run one of these.

the metal shavings pictured is just what's inside the carburetor I'm sure there's more in the crankcase as well just waiting to score and scratch the brand new piston and cylinder...

After modification I will run the carburetor through my buddies ultrasonic cleaner this is not necessary and using carburetor cleaner to clean it out is sufficient to remove any metal debris

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm currently working on the enlarged float bowl mod I will also be doing the mass air flow / wide mouth mod and changing the lower needle angle

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm currently working on the enlarged float bowl mod I will also be doing the mass air flow / wide mouth mod and changing the lower needle angle
Mass air flow??? This is not EFI. Lol
You mean the intake side of the carburetor I'm sure. One thing I have always done is drill out the path to the bowl from the petcock. Make it flow better. Because that is still another restriction as is the petcock.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mass air flow??? This is not EFI. Lol
You mean the intake side of the carburetor I'm sure. One thing I have always done is drill out the path to the bowl from the petcock. Make it flow better. Because that is still another restriction as is the petcock.
100% definitely should be done as well

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Larger float bowl mod simply sand out the float bowl to make it larger.

The Max air flow mod I open up the mouth of the carburetor

Don't forget to drill down and open up the fuel inlet side just a tad.

adjust the float so that it fills the bowl to the maximum level hopefully not overflowing this adjustment may need to be changed later

Change the angle of the needle slightly and set it all the way up seems to work out the best...

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
The best thing about a brand new engine, it's the fact that it has brand new crank seals and bearings. Even though the bearings are the best. So much less to replace.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The best thing about a brand new engine, it's the fact that it has brand new crank seals and bearings. Even though the bearings are the best. So much less to replace.
The bearings are actually okay as long as you never run them and clean out all the manufacturing debris before starting the engine...

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Works every time tap a flat bar wedged in between the flywheel and crankcase not too tight or it will crack the crankcase.

Heat up the flywheel with a plumbing torch until the glue starts to smoke.

Give the flywheel bolt that's threaded a little bit out a whack with a hammer and the flywheel will pop right off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts