Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, my name is Javier and I live in Mexico, this is my first post here and am looking for some advise from You, I'm a modified scooters guy but this is my first attemp with a such small engine, this is the "project" I'm working on:
Almost three years ago, my Son Santiago got this Mini-Quad for X-mas at his grandparents'..as he was too youg (2 years and 3 Mo.) he didn't used it other than "play" at the garage, one day he pour water in the gas tank and nobody knew it until it was too late, the Mini-Quad never started again:

last week we decide he is "older" enough to use it inside a parking lot and we bring the mini-quad home to repair it:

The tires are roted, very bad, in fact when I tryed to inflate them one of the rear tires exploded, the innertube on the other is leaking air everywhere,I will replace them for some sort of "road racing" tires, I pulled apart the engine and disasembly all, It is in good shape, just the carb doesn't work anymore due to all the rust inside(a white thingy), I cleaned the best I could but it is a no-no...the engine is runing but doesnt idle at all.

I found a place over the web where I will get new tires & inner tubes, they also sell many goodies to modify the small engine...You know..this is gonna be Mild Tuned Mini-Quad!
These are the parts I just ordered:
Big bore 44m.m "race-ported" cylinder, crank and Hi Compression head:

A carb kit and manifold:

A fiber reed valve:

A pipe from a pocket bike:

The tires and the innertubes:

You know, this thing is a Chinese POS, the quality is not very good then I will reinforce al the weldings and fabricate a better engine base for it,once I get the parts, I may be able to port that cylinder a little bit and make a "dog" out of this thing, if not, no to much loss..you wont believe how cheap are the "racing parts" for this toy :D

The issue I'm facing now is that this mini-qud has an electric starter and looking at the parts I got and all the pocket bikes I have seen, I have to remove the starter motor section, but If I do such thing, I would have to relocate the engine, modify the exhaust and the rear axle, right?

Any advise would be much appreciated....Thanks!
Regards,

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How do I bring pictures from photobucket so You can see them instead of the "links"???

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Your son Is SUPER CUTE, He looks like he is ready for that new engine to get there already!

Photobucket, or any othter picture hosting site use this setup...

[ IMG ]http://www.photobucket.com/whererever/the/picture/is/picture.jpg[ /IMG ]

No crazy spaces on the IMG tags, I had to so it didn't think I was actually linking to an image!

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your son Is SUPER CUTE, He looks like he is ready for that new engine to get there already!
Thanks Nick!, Yes..he is desesperate for a ride in this quad..Its gonna be his first "fueled" ride...he rides Electric Razors pretty well, first bike he had is an MX350(he was 2.5 years old when first ride) and now he rides the MX500 with a 600Watts motor...pretty fast for a little boy like him :)

hmmm, I tried, It's blocking even ME (Microsoft certified since '99)

I'll "Play around" with it and tell you when I can find a "Work-Around" for you.
Yep, weird thing is that I do exactly the same in the scooter forum and it works, last night when I was posting at the "pipes" thread, I did the same and the pictures uploaded pretty well..BUT I can't do it on my own post!

Regards,

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Yep, weird thing is that I do exactly the same in the scooter forum and it works, last night when I was posting at the "pipes" thread, I did the same and the pictures uploaded pretty well..BUT I can't do it on my own post!

Regards,
You just fixed the quad forum, $10 for you! just kidding, I'm BROKE!!!

brb with it fixed (Hopefully)!

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Nick!!!!!...you made it!
Now I will add some more stuff I have made to the quad in the last days

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stripped down everything(again)!:

I'm going to remove the starter motor/generator, less weight for the engine:

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Second task is to make a "Mock Up" of the new position for the engine, the goal is to relocate the engine right in the middle of the chassis, this to compensate the lenght of the starter motor and provide more room at the right foot plate

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Third task was to remove the engine plate and replace it with thicker steel plate:

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent! You are a true Mechanic, Your son is Lucky to have such a cool Dad!

Thanks for the posts and the pictures!
YW, Nick!.....I'm lucky I have a son like Santiago...hi loves bikes, just like I do!....

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is not gonna be easy :roll:

After some time cuting and grinding, I made it!

I also removed the plate that use to have the key switch and the charging port, no more electrical system!, no more battery and such trash:

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Next task is going to be; removal of the rear sproket flange(It is welded!) and "move" it some 6 m.m. to the outside(wheel side), this would allow for better aligment with the front sproket and would provide more "gap" between the chain and the frame:

Thinking on the rear axle issue I wonder if it worth the time trying to modify this crappy and soft axle, I decided to fabricate a new one, of course I don't have the right tools to do it, then I went to a machine shop and they will do it for me, they are gonna use 4140T steel, It maybe ready tomorrow, let's see....

In the mean time, I made this new "chain guard" out of satinless steel, the stock guard is made from tin!!

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The pipe arrived yesterday…the rest of the parts are delayed at the Customs, hope we get them tomorrow, the pipe is kinda crappy and would need LOTS of mods to perform well, that’s why I have been doing some research on better choices

·
Two Stroke Addiction
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I painted black the "head light" and the "windshield"...looks more "racey", Isn't it?, also change many, many crappy Chinese bolts and nuts for some good quality stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers

I'm "stuck" here....I may get the rear axle tomorrow and the new engine plate...It would be wonderfull if the engine parts arrives tomorrow too! :)

Next would be to fit the new axle, weld the engine plate, check for ALL the tolerances and chain aligment, etc., once all this is done, I will work on the cylinder and see if I can do a "port job", first thing would be to check the timings and see where we are....

1 - 20 of 134 Posts