Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my name is jim and obviously im new to the forum (wow, do i feel like a moron...lol). anyways, i am looking to buy my first bike and really not sure what it is that i can ride...i rode a cbr last year until i wrecked it so now im looking for something that i can do WITH my kids....problem is im an adrenaline junkie but i am right at 230lbs. so not sure if im too much of a fat --- to ride the pocket bikes and get any kind of speed....lol i dont mind spending the money on a decent bike, but i cant afford a new Blata or anything like that...so can i get some suggestions?

also, where do yall ride at other than k2k in the winter time. i saw yall ride there in the winter time

·
Registered
61 Posts
jkapala said:
hi, my name is jim and obviously im new to the forum (wow, do i feel like a moron...lol). anyways, i am looking to buy my first bike and really not sure what it is that i can ride...i rode a cbr last year until i wrecked it so now im looking for something that i can do WITH my kids....problem is im an adrenaline junkie but i am right at 230lbs. so not sure if im too much of a fat --- to ride the pocket bikes and get any kind of speed....lol i dont mind spending the money on a decent bike, but i cant afford a new Blata or anything like that...so can i get some suggestions?

also, where do yall ride at other than k2k in the winter time. i saw yall ride there in the winter time
Jason would like to say hi and welcome, Then Jason wanted to give you his opinion. Jason thinks a minitard (xr/crf 50) would do you great. It is an up and coming class and grow rapidly. These bikes are a lil bit bigger for ya to. Well Jason has to go now, Jason is very tired.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Keith has to agree with Jason ... CRF/ XR's are the way to go... lots of upgrades are out there and they can work well with larger guys on them.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
diablo noche said:
Keith has to agree with Jason ... CRF/ XR's are the way to go... lots of upgrades are out there and they can work well with larger guys on them.....
J.B. agrees with Keith and Jason thinking you should look into the minitard class

·
Registered
394 Posts
racer45 said:
J.B. agrees with Keith and Jason thinking you should look into the minitard class
welcome.................hey keith and the rest of t 3prt , you think a guy like my self who rides street bikes could run on a minitard, ive never really thought about untill now, im pushing about 270 lbs (im a big en) lol , but no really do you think it would get me around thr track?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jim, hi my name is frank. Come on out to k2k on sunday the 9th. There is a race that day and there will be a variety of bikes. As the guys above stated they will have their honda crf's which look like a blast and seem to be suited to bigger riders. I will have a couple of different italian pocket bikes that I would be willing to let you ride if you have the proper saftey gear and there will be a lot of the chinese knockoff bikes there as well. Coming to k2k will help you make your decision as to what to buy. If not riding you can at least sit on most anything there to get a feel for what is comfortable to you. Have a merry x-mas. Frank

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank Toth said:
Jim, hi my name is frank. Come on out to k2k on sunday the 9th. There is a race that day and there will be a variety of bikes. As the guys above stated they will have their honda crf's which look like a blast and seem to be suited to bigger riders. I will have a couple of different italian pocket bikes that I would be willing to let you ride if you have the proper saftey gear and there will be a lot of the chinese knockoff bikes there as well. Coming to k2k will help you make your decision as to what to buy. If not riding you can at least sit on most anything there to get a feel for what is comfortable to you. Have a merry x-mas. Frank
thanks frank..as long as im not working i'll be there....not sure what chrysler is going to do yet...thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, but i think the bike i looking for is going to be closer to a rocket styled bike. just personal prefs...i bought my son an elect. rzr bike that i can ride relatively comfortable, just not fast enough....and the charge dosent last me too long either.....

as far as saftey equip. what do i actually need.....i have leather gloves, leather jacket, racing boots, and helmet....all from riding the cbr....

·
www.extreme4strokes.com
3,016 Posts
I second what Frank said, come out and watch the different bikes and bring your kids so they can see which classes appeal to them. Don't worry you will not even be the biggest guy out there, I am 268lbs in leather and helmet and ride a tiny little Cag, it is a lot of fun and the rules also permit the guys over 200lbs to run a pipe in the stock cag class to help out a little bit. There is also a lot of the Motard guys running around and many of them are your size and very fast. As far as tracks that we run, we will have many new tracks to run next year but for the ones that we have run on previously check out MMMRL.com and click on their last year's schedule to see where they ran before. My understanding is that this year they will be adding East Lansing's wonderful track as a new venue as well. The MPB club was formed for all the guys who did not want to put their bikes away for the winter and prior to that we only ran with the MMMRL who has been around for years now, next year there will be two leagues or some kind of combination so that many race dates are available to the super fast growing number of riders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well my daughter is 5 and my son is 2 so they probably wont be coming out w/ me...they are riders in training right now...lol

and yes i bought my 2 year old son a bike....lol(actually bought it for him s i could ride it, but it just isnt very fast..lol 10mph or so

·
Registered
227 Posts
videobrandon said:
welcome.................hey keith and the rest of t 3prt , you think a guy like my self who rides street bikes could run on a minitard, ive never really thought about untill now, im pushing about 270 lbs (im a big en) lol , but no really do you think it would get me around thr track?
You would be fine on it. The XR/CRF's have a lot of torque to help out the bigger guys. Just put an 88 kit on it for the little extra power and you're good to go.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bikes/kids

jkapala said:
well my daughter is 5 and my son is 2 so they probably wont be coming out w/ me...they are riders in training right now...lol

and yes i bought my 2 year old son a bike....lol(actually bought it for him s i could ride it, but it just isnt very fast..lol 10mph or so
Hi Jim, I also have some youngins in training. Bikes, bikes, bikes! My 4 yr. old already has 5 bikes and growing. He can ride his electric PB like a beast but is a little timid on the Gas powered Cag. Start them early and it becomes natural. I have been riding dirt bikes all my life and this is a change for me. I decided to get my son into this for now!

That is how I started the MPBClub! The 2nd will be a closed practice session and you are more than welcome to come out and check out alot of different bikes. I personally have 3 different 4 stroke models to choose from. They are the latest and greateast in the China bike land. Impressive power and speed when properly tuned! I am building one for the Motard class and feel that it will be much more comfortable to ride than the $1200 XR50 that I can't afford. LOL The 4 strokes go for around $600 which is half and a damn good start. Let me know if you can make it on the 2nd.
Troy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks and yes we'll be there and i think i've also decided on a bike for me...a gp rsr. you ever ridden one?

·
www.extreme4strokes.com
3,016 Posts
if you look at Troy's signature he owns a GRC RSR, they are nice bikes
jkapala said:
thanks and yes we'll be there and i think i've also decided on a bike for me...a gp rsr. you ever ridden one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i saw that...but it said grc.....this is a gp...i wasnt sure if there was a difference..i know its a whole lot cheaper...300 plus 60 for shipping

·
www.extreme4strokes.com
3,016 Posts
oops, GP is Cag cheapie, GRC was over $3k new, just too many chinese bike sellers trying to confuse us with fancy names on the same bike
jkapala said:
i saw that...but it said grc.....this is a gp...i wasnt sure if there was a difference..i know its a whole lot cheaper...300 plus 60 for shipping

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bartw said:
oops, GP is Cag cheapie, GRC was over $3k new, just too many chinese bike sellers trying to confuse us with fancy names on the same bike
i cant afford a 3k little bike....the idea here is "cheap adrenaline"......but looking at some of the perfomance add-ons for some of these things, it looks like they'll almost nickel and dime ya to death...lol

anyways, still cant afford a 3k bike...lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
scott was a real grc gp 9.5hp for sale $1400.00 with parts water cool.parts can make it 12hp . this is one of the fastest bikes out in the summer.in to sell to pay for go fast parts for crf50.

·
Registered
177 Posts
hi... im new aswell to the forums... and would like to know how do i make a thread? i feel really stupid... but i cannot find it, please tell me... thanks1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts